Skillick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Howdy

So I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment, or at least I think I am. I have a (New) 3ds XL with Luma CFW, which I installed about 1 year ago now, and have been using fairly regularly without any issues until a few days ago.

The micro SD card I have been using in my 3ds, just and ordinary 32 GB Sandisk Ultra, has suddenly died without warning (completely unresponsive from all manner of devices: other 3ds', smartphones, laptops you name it). So I am currently in a situation now where I have a new SD card and I'm trying to figure out how to reinstall cias and basically get the CFW'd 3ds back into full functionality as it was pre-SD card meltdown.

I have spent the past couple of days perusing forums, videos and re-consulting the 3ds.hack.guide website to try and at least get access to a chainloader but to no avail. How can I go about reinstalling the necessary tools, like FBI, so I can get full homebrew functionality with my CFW'd 3ds?

Thank you anyone for your assistance, sorry if I sound like a philistine in this request - it's been a while since I last dabbled in installing CFW and I have forgotten most of the particulars.

Reactions: battlecatsahead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally, most of us are going to tell you to follow that guide at the beginning and to the letter but seeing as you've attempted it. Well, here you go...

The restoring Luma3DS CFW (boot9strap) for those who've installed it before, lost their SD setup, and mostly forgot how any of it works, Shortcut Instructions.

1A. Reformat the SD card in FAT32 + (32768) 32 KB * cluster size using guiformat (Windows), GParted (Linux), or Disk Utility (Mac).
- or -​
1B. Reformat the SD card in [ Format: FAT32 | Cluster Size: 32 KB * | Partition: Primary | Disk: MBR ] using MiniTool Partition Wizard (free edition).
- or -​
1C. Quadruple reformat the SD card.
  • :!:Warning (MiniTool Partition Wizard): Do not install the Lavasoft Adaware Web Companion (bloatware).
  • MiniTool install precaution.png
  • * Optional: If the SD card is 128 GB or larger, you may instead reformat it in FAT32 + (65536) 64 KB cluster size.

2. Recommended: Check the empty card in a full Write + Verify Test with H2testw (Windows), F3 (Linux), or F3XSwift (Mac).
  • If the result comes back clean without any hardware issues, delete the *.h2w test files.
  • If there was a reported error, replace the unreliable card.
  • h2testw_menu-png.210567
    h2testw_results-png.210862
  • F3_Terminal.png

3. Download the CFW starter kit - 02.20.2022.7z archive, and extract the folders & files to the root of the SD card.

4. Select (x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings in Luma3DS v10.2.1 configuration.
  • If you're new to Luma3DS, have this as the default setting until you're more familiar what each one does.
  • To adjust the settings later, hold the (SELECT) button when turning on the 2DS/3DS system.
  • I highly recommend you don't select the last two options like this:
    • ( ) Set developer UNITINFO
    • ( ) Disable Arm11 exception handlers
Luma3DS_v10.2.1.png

5. Follow Sections II – VIII: [3ds.hacks.guide] Finalizing Setup

Here's a tutorial video in how to Rosalina inject Homebrew Launcher:

6. You should have access to FBI through HBLauncher by now. The rest is up to you refamiliarizing yourself how everything works.
  • Optional #1 : This archive contains both *.3dsx and *.cia sets. Refer to the Update Changes Log for information about the homebrew titles.
  • Optional #2 : For homebrew apps not found in this kit, check out Universal-DB and [GameBrew] List of 3DS homebrew applications.
  • Optional #3 : You can Rosalina inject into the Homebrew_Launcher_Wrapper if you like having a dedicated HOME Menu icon.

/3ds/

/cias/
  • 3DS_Battery_Checker (Battery mark for 3DS) v2.0
  • 3DS_NVRAMtool
  • 3DSBank v1.1
  • 3DShell v5.1.0
  • 3DSident-GUI v0.8.0
  • 3DSync v0.2.0
  • Anemone3DS v2.2.0
  • atari800 v4.1.0
  • BootNTRSelector-FONZD-Banner v2.13.4
  • BootNTRSelector-Mode3-FONZD-Banner v2.13.4
  • BootNTRSelector-Mode3-PabloMK7-Banner v2.13.4
  • BootNTRSelector-PabloMK7-Banner v2.13.4
  • BreadBox (01June2016)
  • Checkpoint v3.7.4
  • Cthulhu v1.3.5
  • DaedalusX64 [59B7B3DA] (12.23.20)
  • DSES v1.1
  • DSP1
  • FBI v2.6.1
  • ftpd v3.1.0
  • ftpd-classic v3.1.0
  • GameYob (DSiWare) v0.5.2
  • GameYob (3DS) v1.0.8
  • GodMode9i v3.2.0
  • GYTB
  • Handy3ds v1.1b
  • Homebrew_Launcher_Wrapper v1.0
  • JKSM 05.08.2020
  • Line_for_3DS_64mb v1.7.2
  • Line_for_3DS_80mb v1.7.2
  • Line_for_3DS_124mb v1.7.2
  • Line_for_3DS_178mb v1.7.2
  • LumaLocaleRegionAutoSetter v1.1 (226 Titles)
  • LumaLocaleSwitcher v0.04 (NIGHTLY)
  • mgba v0.9.3
  • minivmac-3ds-MacII4bpp v2.1
  • minivmac-3ds-MacII8bpp v2.1
  • minivmac-3ds-Plus4M v2.1
  • ModMoon v3.0.1
  • neopop v0.4
  • NitroHax v0.99.NTR
  • NP2 v0.1.3
  • NP21 v0.1.3
  • NTR_Launcher v2.5
  • PaintController v0.2 dev (3DSControllerPlus)
  • PaintController_min v0.2 dev
  • picodrive_3ds v0.94
  • PKSM v9.2.0
  • PokeMini v1.0
  • retroarch_3ds v1.10.0
  • RTChanger v1.0
  • ScummVM v2.2.0
  • SFontT v3.1 (ACG SharedFontTool)
  • SFontT80 v3.1 (SYSTEM_MODE 80M)
  • SimpleBadgeInjector v1.2 (TurdPooCharger fork)
  • snes9x_3ds v1.30
  • sysUpdater v0.4.3b
  • temperpce_3ds v1.02
  • ThirdTube v0.4.1
  • TJAPlayer_for_3DS v1.2.0
  • TWiLight Menu - Game booter v24.0.0
  • TWiLight Menu v24.0.0
  • uae3DS v1.0
  • Universal-Updater v3.2.3
  • vice3DS-C64 v2.4.1
  • Video player for 3DS v1.4.2
  • virtuanes_3ds v1.02
  • WifiManager v1.1.2
  • ZXDS v2.2.1

OTHER

Removed from archive.

Attachments

• Luma3DS_v10.1.3.png
    Luma3DS_v10.1.3.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 3,506
  • 3ds-hacks-guide-languages.png
    3ds-hacks-guide-languages.png
    19 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Skillick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey, thanks for the response.

I have formatted the micro SD card and copied all the files from the starter kit and then checked "Show NAND or user string in System Settings" in the Luma Configuration Menu. However, I can't launch Rosalina from the Download Play app as per section III, the L+down+select button combination does nothing. Presumably I have to follow the steps in the Rosaline install video, but for the record I have Luma 7.0.1 installed on my 3ds which doesn't seem to be compatible with this method...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for the response.

I have formatted the micro SD card and copied all the files from the starter kit and then checked "Show NAND or user string in System Settings" in the Luma Configuration Menu. However, I can't launch Rosalina from the Download Play app as per section III, the L+down+select button combination does nothing. Presumably I have to follow the steps in the Rosaline install video, but for the record I have Luma 7.0.1 installed on my 3ds which doesn't seem to be compatible with this method...

Make sure the buttom combo is L-shoulder + down (d-pad) + Select.

The boot.firm in that archive contains Luma v9.0. If Download Play does not work, try inject into AR Games or Face Raiders.

Edit - Luma v7.0.1, hmm... Oh, you don't happen to be an old timer from the (arm9loaderhax) A9LH era?

Because if you are, forgot about everything I wrote. The problem is you need to upgrade: https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Skillick

Skillick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I can confirm that I am pressing that exact button combo; no luck with Download Play, AR Games or Face Raiders. Are you certain there is no compatibility issue with the version of Luma I have installed on my 3ds (not the SD card, which has 9.0 as you said)? I certainly don't recall Rosaline when I initially installed the CFW like a year ago.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that I am pressing that exact button combo; no luck with Download Play, AR Games or Face Raiders. Are you certain there is no compatibility issue with the version of Luma I have installed on my 3ds (not the SD card, which has 9.0 as you said)? I certainly don't recall Rosaline when I initially installed the CFW like a year ago.

In the post above, I made in edit realizing what your problem could be. You may have an outdated hax that does not work with current CFW standards.

Reactions: Skillick

Skillick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I performed all the steps in upgrading from A9LH to B9S...and it worked like a charm :D I can now access Rosaline in the Download Play app.

Cheers for your help bud, I'm sure this will be useful for a bunch of people.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

death69inc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turd your a life saver!!!! I have been pulling my hair out since last night.... still not sure why my original sd files wouldnt load homebrew channel without the crashing.But works now!!!!

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Kingpinn02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally, most of us are going to tell you to follow that guide at the beginning and to the letter but seeing as you've attempted it. Well, here you go...

The restoring Luma3DS CFW (boot9strap) for those who've installed it before, lost their SD setup, and mostly forgot how any of it works, Shortcut Instructions.

1A. Reformat the SD card in FAT32 + (32768) 32 KB * cluster size using guiformat.
- or -​
1B. Reformat the SD card in [ Format: FAT32 | Cluster Size: 32 KB * | Partition: Primary | Disk: MBR ] using MiniTool Partition Wizard (free edition).
  • * Optional: If the SD card is 128 GB or larger, you may instead reformat it in FAT32 + (65536) 64 KB cluster size.
  • Recommended: Check the empty card in a full Write + Verify Test with H2testw (Windows), F3 (Linux), or F3X (Mac).
    • If the result comes back clean without any hardware issues, delete the *.h2w test files.
    • If there was a reported error, replace the unreliable card.

2. Download the CFW starter kit - 07.20.2019.7z archive and extract the files in the SD root.

3. Select (x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings in Luma3DS v9.1 configuration.
  • If you're new to Luma3DS, have this as the default setting until you're more familiar what each one does.
  • I highly recommend you don't select the last two options like this:
    • ( ) Set developer UNITINFO
    • ( ) Disable ARM11 exception handlers
luma_config.png
  • :!: Note: This release contains Luma3DS v10.0.1 placed in sdmc:/luma/payloads. Luma3DS v9.1 is kept as sdmc:/boot.firm for compatibility reasons.
4. Follow Sections II – VIII: [3ds.hacks.guide] Finalizing Setup

Here's a tutorial video in how to Rosalina inject Homebrew Launcher:

5. You should have access to FBI through HBLauncher by now. The rest is up to you refamiliarizing yourself how everything works.
  • Optional #1 : This archive contains both *.3dsx and *.cia sets. Refer to the Update Changes Log for information about the homebrew titles.
  • Optional #2 : You can Rosalina inject into the Homebrew_Launcher_Wrapper if you like having a dedicated HOME Menu icon.
/3ds/

/cias/
  • 3DS_Battery_Checker v1.2.0
  • 3DSBank v1.0
  • 3DShell v4.3.1
  • 3DSident-GUI v0.8.0
  • Anemone3DS v2.1.0 Beta
  • atari800-3ds v0.2.4
  • BootNTRSelector-FONZD-Banner v2.12
  • BootNTRSelector-Mode3-FONZD-Banner_v2.12
  • BootNTRSelector-Mode3-PabloMK7-Banner v2.12
  • BootNTRSelector-PabloMK7-Banner v2.12
  • BreadBox (01June2016)
  • Checkpoint v3.6.0
  • Cthulhu v1.3.4
  • DSES v1.1
  • DSP1
  • FBI v2.6.0
  • ftpd v2.3
  • GameYob (DSiWare) v0.5.2
  • GameYob (3DS) v1.0.8
  • GodMode9i v1.3.4
  • GYTB
  • Handy3ds v1.1b
  • Homebrew_Launcher_Wrapper v1.0
  • JKSM 12.20.18
  • LumaLocaleRegionAutoSetter v1.1 (226 Titles)
  • LumaLocaleSwitcher v0.04 (NIGHTLY)
  • lumaupdater v2.4
  • mgba v0.7.2
  • minivmac-3ds-MacII4bpp v2.1
  • minivmac-3ds-MacII8bpp v2.1
  • minivmac-3ds-Plus4M v2.1
  • ModMoon v3.0.1
  • MultiUpdater v4.0.2
  • neopop v0.4
  • NitroHax v0.99.NTR
  • NP2 v0.1.3
  • NP21 v0.1.3
  • NTR_Launcher v2.2
  • picodrive_3ds v0.94
  • PKSM v6.2.1
  • PokeMini v1.0
  • retroarch_3ds v1.7.7
  • ScummVM v0.3.5[alt] (Nitrus fork)
  • Sharkive v1.0.0
  • SimpleBadgeInjector v1.2 (TurdPooCharger fork)
  • snes9x_3ds v1.30
  • sysUpdater v0.4.2
  • temperpce_3ds v1.02
  • TJAPlayer_for_3DS v1.01
  • TWiLight Menu - Game booter v8.5.1
  • TWiLight Menu v8.5.1
  • TWiLightMenu-Updater v3.1.2
  • vice3ds v1.4
  • virtuanes_3ds v1.02
  • WifiManager v1.1.2

OTHER

Removed from archive.

Thank you so much for the help! I was able to get things in order thanks to you! Not to sound ungrateful, but I'm not gonna lie when I say that the amount of stuff the "starter pack" came with really overwhelmed me. I might have to delete most of the ones I won't use. Either way, thanks a bunch!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the help! I was able to get things in order thanks to you! Not to sound ungrateful, but I'm not gonna lie when I say that the amount of stuff the "starter pack" came with really overwhelmed me. I might have to delete most of the ones I won't use. Either way, thanks a bunch!
If you need more homebrew apps or looking for something not included in the archive, check out https://tinydb.eiphax.tech/. :rofl2:

Reactions: Kingpinn02

Totobriac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi guys. Same thing happened to me. I be tried to upgrade my 4go SD card to a 256 one with no luck. The light turns blue then fade. I took the SD off and the 3ds turns on as it should. I did put back my old 4go SD inside and everything turns great. So I followed your instructions , as stated in this thread. I managed to install HB, FBI and everything else on the 256go SD. But as I tried to install some .CIA, the files didn't show up in FBI... I checked my SD and realized that all the .cia files were corrupted and that I didn't have write permission on the card anymore. So my plan is to erase the CFW and do a clean CFW install on my 256go SD. Or is there anything I could do first? Thanks.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. Same thing happened to me. I be tried to upgrade my 4go SD card to a 256 one with no luck. The light turns blue then fade. I took the SD off and the 3ds turns on as it should. I did put back my old 4go SD inside and everything turns great. So I followed your instructions , as stated in this thread. I managed to install HB, FBI and everything else on the 256go SD. But as I tried to install some .CIA, the files didn't show up in FBI... I checked my SD and realized that all the .cia files were corrupted and that I didn't have write permission on the card anymore. So my plan is to erase the CFW and do a clean CFW install on my 256go SD. Or is there anything I could do first? Thanks.
You probably bought a fake 256 GB card.

To see for yourself,
Any reported error means the card is no good where it has a hardware issue.

If your 3DS doesn't boot to HOME Menu without the SD card, you skipped parts of the Finalizar instalación (Finalizing Setup).

Totobriac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You probably bought a fake 256 GB card.

To see for yourself,
Any reported error means the card is no good where it has a hardware issue.

If your 3DS doesn't boot to HOME Menu without the SD card, you skipped parts of the Finalizar instalación (Finalizing Setup).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It does boot up without SD card. I returned the SD card to Amazon. I should have guessed . It was too cheap. I am going to buy a new SD from a known brand. 128go should be enough.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It does boot up without SD card. I returned the SD card to Amazon. I should have guessed . It was too cheap. I am going to buy a new SD from a known brand. 128go should be enough.
Hold up... Do you currently live in Argentina? Does Amazon (the online retail store) does business in South America?

If you actually live in the United States, see my signature for SD card deals. And remember, test the newly bought (empty) card in H2testw before using.

Totobriac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Nope I live in France for now. I've just ordered a 128go micro-sd from Samsung. Hope it will do the the trick.

Failed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
People please help i have this problem for long time ago noweone did help me i have ctrtransfer 11.5 eu with all newest fbi luma godmode9 but i cant update get error on firmware strange thing is inside godmod9 in info it says region japan is that the reason so yes? ! How can i change it inside godmode9

Ero_Chi3

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@TurdPooCharger , I am new with doing CFW for 3DS. And I would like to thank you a lot, that this helped me alot and it was easy to understand.

However, for the CFW starter kit - 02.20.2020.7z .. there were so many apps.
I wonder if you a have a list of what each apps does. Thanks.

Also, with my N3DSXL now CFW configured. Can it still connect on the Internet? Since there was a WIFI Manager app I have saw on the CFW Starter Kit. Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn