New 2DS XL MicroSD Card Error

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Rioluwott, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Rioluwott
    OP

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    So i recently got a new 2ds xl with a 64gb micro sd card, after formatting it with guiformat to fat32 i tried installing CFW with my ntrboot flashcard
    when i tried installing it i got an error saying firm backup fail on SafeBoot9StrapInstaller and i got information about it not working on my 64gb sd card and i installed it with the bundled one, after i installed all the hombrew(FBI,Anemone,etc.) i tried installing a game (Pokemon Y) but after a while i get an error about losing connection with the SD card, anyone had a similar error?
    I tried reformatting the SD card with another program and different allocation sizes but i always get that error, also both the SD card and the 2DS are brand new.
    Would it be better to buy a 32gb SD card? i may try to check if there is any issue with the SD card later

2. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Copy everything off your SD card, reformat it in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with either Windows File Explorer or guiformat, and full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw to check if it's fake or faulty.

3. Rioluwott
    OP

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    Im going to try that since i did just a quick format
    I will update when i finish testing that way
    UPDATE: Tried doing a full format and tried to check it on that program but i went to do something and the computer´s screen went black since i wasn´t using it when i came back i pressed space and the program stopped...
    it was around 90% but i didn´t get an error i may need to try again but it took me around 2 hours oh well..
    going to try to use a 8gb sd just to install something to see if it is the SD card or the another thing
    Also when i tried using the 64gb SD card the 3ds doesn´t recognize it even though it is FAT32

Last edited by Rioluwott, Mar 27, 2019
  4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Try the quadruple reformat technique on your 64 GB card in this order:
    1. SD Memory Card Formatter
    2. Windows File Explorer (if bigger than 32 GB, use NTFS)
    3. guiformat - FAT32 + 32 KB (32768)
      • If it doesn't allow reformatting, reformat in Windows File Explorer again before trying again with guiformat.
    4. MiniTool Partition Wizard (free edition)
        • Format: FAT32
        • Cluster Size: 32 KB
        • Partition: Primary
        • Disk: MBR
      • MiniTool Partition Wizard Software Tutorial Guide
        1. Delete Partition (for both partitions)
        2. Initialize to MBR Disk -or- Convert GPT to MBR Disk (if it's in GPT Disk)
        3. Rebuild MBR
        4. Create a New Partition [ Create as: Primary | File System: FAT32 | Cluster Size: 32 KB ]
    A badly reformatted or even fake card can cause your computer to freeze or stall trying to read & write to it. You will still need to get one clean scan run with H2testw to know whether or not your card has hardware problems. If the test can't be completed, try the test on a different computer.