SLOW FBI install speeds

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by DoItRight, Jan 30, 2019.

1. DoItRight
    OP

DoItRight Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    My hacked 3DS is only a week old, so I'm using the newest Luma and FBI versions.

I used FBI to install about a dozen games (Around 6GB worth) with no problems, but recently I've been running into some issues.

I'm using a 128GB C10 SD micro by Sandisk Ultra, and I've tried reformatting it and copying my backup files back over to it, as well as trying another SDmicro to SD adapter, but this problem persists.

When installing CIAs via FBI, the installer will run at ~1.3MB/s with intermittent slowdown to ~300KB/s for ~10 minutes/~1GB, then speed will tank to <40KB/s.

If I restart and try to install again, it might run for 5 minutes or 20, but the same speed issue will occur after some period of install time.

I've checked the card using RMPrepUSB, and it says that it is the correct size. The card is not hot when I feel it after the slowdown occurs. Copying 20GB+ of games from my PC to the SD card sees write speeds of ~8MB/s with no issues.

I assume it is the SD card causing these issues, but want to check if anyone suspected it was something else. What do you all think the problem is? What else might it be besides a bad SD card?

If it is the SD card, I would prefer to buy another 128GB micro SD, instead of a full size SD, so I have the potential of using it in other devices. Are most people here using a Micro SD with no issues?

Last edited by DoItRight, Jan 30, 2019
  2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Check your card with h2testw see if the card is bootleg or not.

3. DoItRight
    OP

DoItRight Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    ^I've checked the card using RMPrepUSB, and it says that it is the correct size.^

Is there a reason you trust h2testw over RMPrep USB?

Started h2testw, it's listed as taking 4 hours, I guess we'll be waiting on that.

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    RMPrep USB is a formatting tool, h2testw write and check the card to see if it bootleg or not.

5. DoItRight
    OP

DoItRight Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
  6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    People on the forum only recommend H2testw to check the card, up to yourself if you want to check it, what h2testw does it write to the card to check the stated capacity is real or not.

7. DoItRight
    OP

DoItRight Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    I understand, just letting you know they have a utility for this function as well. I'm running h2testw now.

In the guide I just linked they refer to h2testw as the "Gold Standard" test.

I would be surprised if the card was bootleg as I bought it in full packaging from a major chain store. At least this test is likely to show me if I have other issues with the card.

Is there anything else you think the issue might be?

8. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    H2testw is only for checking/verification that the card is good or not, you still can get a bootleg from even a major chain store, even from Amazon it can be fake.

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  9. DoItRight
    OP

DoItRight Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    Results:

Test finished without errors.
    You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
    Writing speed: 10.5 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 18.7 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4

Both tests took just over 5 hours total.

Running the same test on a new 128G sd card now.

I'll try it with the new 128G sd card after that.

If that fixes the problem, I guess it was just a mysterious SD card error.

Last edited by DoItRight, Jan 31, 2019
  10. DoItRight
    OP

DoItRight Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    Microcenter micro SD passed:

Test finished without errors.
    You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
    Writing speed: 17.9 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 18.5 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4

took less than 4 hours!

11. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    @DoItRight, your card slow down or hang up in CIA installation sounds like its partition table is not aligned or something bad happened to its cluster size.

Try the triple reformat (steps 1–4).

Edit - Actually, make it quadruple in this order.
    1. SD Memory Card Formatter
    2. Windows File Explorer (if bigger than 32 GB, use NTFS)
    3. guiformat - FAT32 + 32 KB (32768)
    4. MiniTool Partition Wizard

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Jan 31, 2019
    LowEndC likes this.
  12. LowEndC

LowEndC ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ

GBAtemp Patron
    LowEndC is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 25, 2019
    Niger
    You have to die before you can wake.
    it looks like i have to do the same thing with my samsung select evo 128gb u3. im having slow fbi issues, but not like his, my fbi will take 20 seconds to start then will install at 1.8mb/s
    when i was using my 32gb pny card, fbi installed right away and at 2.3mb/s
    also slow boot time
    which seems bass ackwards

Last edited by LowEndC, Feb 1, 2019
  13. DoItRight
    OP

DoItRight Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    1.8 seems just fine depending on the card. Mine only installs at 1.3MB/s.

14. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I'd probably say you got caught in the trap. Some cards will read "BLAZEYING FAST! HIGH SPED! YOUR NUTS WILL CATCH FIRE!!!111!!" for 19 mb/s, but that might be how fast it can go, not how fast it will go after some writing. I've seen my installs vary, but usually a 3.0gb (direct, not wifi, lel) install will take about an hour.
    I have to also guess that it may not be one the San Disk used for DSLR cams; I'm pretty sure the card I'm thinking of belongs to the X-treme line.

15. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    For the 128 GB SD card, try the quadruple reformat but substitute with FAT32 + 64 KB cluster size (65536). This might help a little.
    Just don't use 64 KB cluster size on cards that are 64 GB and smaller.

If you use 64 KB cluster size, build a test setup. Install several GBA VC games to look for the presence of the wrapping graphical bug, and install a 10 themes shuffle with Anemone3DS. If your 3DS does not experience issues for those two, you should be able to get away with using 64 KB cluster size.

LowEndC, OrGoN3 and H1B1Esquire like this.
  16. LowEndC

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 25, 2019
    Niger
    no dude.
    my cheapo 32gb pny from walmart should not perform faster than a 128gb samsung evo select u3.
    i mean it was either u3 or the a1 or a2 cards. which is top of the line.

17. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    that may be so. but 3ds can only use a certain percent of the true power of the sd cards you have.

ry755 and TurdPooCharger like this.
  18. LowEndC

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 25, 2019
    Niger
    thank you, will do the quad reformat when i have time, i bookmarked that article already, very helpful.
    i had to delete my bax folder and all the .bax animations i collected because of the time it took.
    i still have my 32 gb with everything the same.
    question, lets say i transfered data to the 128gb from a 32gb and played a day with some games online,
    if i put the 32gb back in, i could use the games with the old saves just fine or?
    sorry for off topic. last question for the night.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

well that may be so, but the samsung should not perform worse than a cheapo card, even if it cant operate at accelerated speeds.
    but i believe the quad format will help.

edit: i mean thats logical right?

Last edited by LowEndC, Feb 1, 2019
  19. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    In general, smaller sized SD cards perform faster than larger ones. When you go bigger, the 3DS has a bigger partition table it has to account for. Some of the slow downs can be mitigated using 64 KB cluster size, but those previously mentioned problems can arise from doing this.

U3, A1, A2, etc. cards are overkill for the 3Ds because the SD card slot reader doesn't support those speeds.

To learn more about cluster size and card capacity,
    Later posts have some info and test results regarding different cluster sizes and partition sizes.

You can straight copy and paste your setup from one card to another. Everything should be like how you left it.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Feb 1, 2019
    LowEndC likes this.
  20. LowEndC

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 25, 2019
    Niger
    i see. ok there are specific cards that will work best based on the limits and parameters of the 3ds hardware.
    this 128 i bought was originally for my phone, same with the 256 gb.
    to tell you the truth, i was looking for that article earlier because i remember seeing it. thanks for posting the link again.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted