Hardware Why does my 3DS take so long to turn off?

Ghegghi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Today, when I turned on my (modded) 3ds, I started playing; when it was time to turn it off I pressed the off button and after the screens went off the LEDs remained on for around 20 seconds and it usually took less.
But even turning it back on and trying again from this point onwards it still takes so long.
Tell me if it seems normal to you (I'll leave the video below) or there's something wrong.
But this only happens since I put the Pretendo Network on my console and only with the SD card.

0:13/0:22

0:03/0:22
Post automatically merged:

Today, when I turned on my (modded) 3ds, I started playing; when it was time to turn it off I pressed the off button and after the screens went off the LEDs remained on for around 20 seconds and it usually took less.
But even turning it back on and trying again from this point onwards it still takes so long.
Tell me if it seems normal to you (I'll leave the video below) or there's something wrong.
But this happened online with the sd card inserted

Last edited by Ghegghi,

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's due in part to the size and speed of your SD card, and how much storage is being used. No matter what, a bigger SD card with more storage will cause the system to slow down while powering on and off.

Reactions: Michelle70

Ghegghi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ciò è dovuto in parte alle dimensioni e alla velocità della scheda SD e alla quantità di spazio di archiviazione utilizzato. In ogni caso, una scheda SD più grande con più spazio di archiviazione causerà il rallentamento del sistema durante l'accensione e lo spegnimento.
Thank you very much

It's due in part to the size and speed of your SD card, and how much storage is being used. No matter what, a bigger SD card with more storage will cause the system to slow down while powering on and off.
but there is one strange thing. This very long loading time when turning off only happens to me since I installed Pretendo Network. but the sd is always the same.

Last edited by Ghegghi,
Reactions: kuro0628neko

DavidGN40

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But this only happens since I put the Pretendo Network on my console and only with the SD card.

View attachment 431952

So the same thing was happening to me with my New3DS and I thought I was going insane until I saw your thread.
I think I got a solution though.
Turning off "Enable loading external FIRMs and modules" in Luma by holding SELECT before booting made my shutdown speeds return to normal.
When I had it on it would sometimes shutdown at the normal fast rate, but most times it would take about 15 seconds (which is about as long as it takes to boot with my 128 GB SD card).

Of course, with the "Enable loading external FIRMs and modules" off it means Pretendo can't be used, so I guess it's a matter of switching between them depending on what you want.

Reactions: mlemm and zfreeman

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have experienced the exact same long turning off since I put pretendo. I am going to consider reverting to normal, I don't use it and it's going to be a long while before I do, I don't particularly care abour playing MK7 with randoms, and that's most of what 3ds has for now.

Glad to see it was'nt just my imagination, though...

DavidGN40

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have experienced the exact same long turning off since I put pretendo. I am going to consider reverting to normal, I don't use it and it's going to be a long while before I do, I don't particularly care abour playing MK7 with randoms, and that's most of what 3ds has for now.

Glad to see it was'nt just my imagination, though...
How are you reverting it to normal? Just uninstalling Pretendo in the system settings?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Opening the nimbus app you can go back to the original servers.

I am suspicious the longer time to turn off might only happen if you have turned on wifi on at any time during that boot up.

When I play and I never turn on Wifi, the system shuts off normally. If I turn it on (mostly to pass screenshots with ftpd to my pc) then I find is when it takes longer.

This tells me it's probably a pretendo thing.

G1fan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Opening the nimbus app you can go back to the original servers.

I am suspicious the longer time to turn off might only happen if you have turned on wifi on at any time during that boot up.

When I play and I never turn on Wifi, the system shuts off normally. If I turn it on (mostly to pass screenshots with ftpd to my pc) then I find is when it takes longer.

This tells me it's probably a pretendo thing.
Could be due to on the fly patches to system services causing longer load times.

Would make sense people are only noticing it with pretendo ballooning in usage. There are few other apps that require similar system changes.

DavidGN40

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could be due to on the fly patches to system services causing longer load times.

Would make sense people are only noticing it with pretendo ballooning in usage. There are few other apps that require similar system changes.
You're probably right. I experience something similar whenever I use BootNTR.

Statesman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a reason why people recommended 128GB at most, ideally 64/32GB. The 3DS doesn't benefit from anything above Class 10 / UHS 1 read speeds anyway (even Class 6 could be argued to be hardly noticeable for most users).

XFoxPrower

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happens to me wuen shutting down with a DS emulated game. I believe the long delay with that is the same reason as why it takes so long to quit the DS emulator, whatever that is. I'm on a 128GB card, so it could be related to the above explanations too.

Layra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Happens to me wuen shutting down with a DS emulated game. I believe the long delay with that is the same reason as why it takes so long to quit the DS emulator, whatever that is. I'm on a 128GB card, so it could be related to the above explanations too.
Had the same issue. I'm on 128GB and I formatted it first, after I have created the partition using clusters of 32kb and all proceses related with DS emulation are slightly faster now

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have a 64GB card myself, as I read about higher capacity cards beforehand. The only time I have seen these longer-than-normal shutting off times was with Pretendo, and every single time I turn on Wifi, even for a moment, it's when I got them, so it definitely has to do something along what G1fan says. Not like I needed more space than that, to be honest...

Seeing it is normal, I would stop caring going forward, I guess.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Those are not emulated. When you close a DS game it exits out of the DS mode and boots back into 3DS mode instead of shutting down directly, IIRC. So it takes longer than a normal power off, since the first press of the power button always closes the game.

Michelle70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I modded my N3dsxl, I figured I better put in a 128g card. It took forever to boot up and load stuff. I swapped it for a 64g card and it's much faster now. So I guess bigger isn't always better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y