Hacking [RELEASE] Luma Updater

KunoichiZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is Luma Updater. Current version: v2.5

Please note that this is only for sighax/boot9strap users only. A9LH users who want to continue using Luma Updater and receive Luma3DS updates need to update to boot9strap by follow Plailect's guide for updating to boot9strap. Luma3DS has dropped support for non-boot9strap users.

If you have Luma3DS v7.1 and wish to update to v8.1+, you will need to update boot9strap first.

What does it do?
* Luma Updater will update the boot.firm file from Luma3DS on your SD card and your CTRNAND, if you followed Plailect's guide. You can choose to either install the latest stable version or the latest hourly version (only on Luma Updater v2.1.1 or below).
* It will back up your current boot.firm on your SD card (and CTRNAND when allowed to) to boot.firm.bak.
* It will restore your old backup of boot.firm on your SD card root (and CTRNAND when allowed to).
* It will block all updates from Luma3DS v7.1 as that only supports boot9strap v1.0/v1.1. Luma3DS v8.0+ only supports boot9strap v1.2+.

What may or may not be coming in future releases:
* Nothing as of now

Notes:
* If you get stuck on the loading configuration file or get an error message such as "Unknown or wrong config value", either delete the lumaupdater.cfg file on the root of your SD card (if it exists), change the payload type in the first line of lumaupdater.cfg to payload type = SIGHAX or sighax, or download this and place it on the root of your SD card.

Changelog:
What's New:
  • This update fixes the error in #49, #50, and #51 and closes #49. This update should now allow you to download Luma3DS and any future releases of Luma Updater.

What's New:
Credits:
  • Huge major credits to @hax0kartik for his help with coming up with a fix.
Notes:
  • All outstanding issues (includes #43, #45, and #47) have been fixed as of 11:12 PM Central Standard Time on 6/29/19.

Apologies for the slow update to this app. Even with help, it took awhile to come up with a fix and do proper testing. Even more delays to releasing this update were do to me having a lot of homework and not having enough free time to do final testing and release the final product.

What's New:
* Added support for Github TLS v1.2 (credit to @Kartik).
* Hopefully fixes auto-updating

Credits:
Huge major credits to @Kartik, @saibotu, and @AngelSL for their help coming up with a fix.

Notes:
* To scan the QR code in the latest release, you need to update your FBI version to at least [v2.5.0](https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases).
* If you don't scan the QR code, you will have to manually download the CIA and install it. The auto-updating feature will not work in v2.2.

Sorry for the lack of an update to the app. This is because of a couple of reasons:
* I recently finished my summer classes and I was taking a break from doing anything for a bit before my fall classes started.
* I was having some issues with my build environment (everything but the .CIA was able to be built, bannertool was giving me issues). I finally, obviously, figured it out. Don't ask me how though.

Notes:
* Luma3DS v8.0+ is only to be used with boot9strap v1.2+. Please follow https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s to update to boot9strap v1.2+.
* This will probably be the last update for Luma Updater for awhile. My fall semester of college classes has already started and I'm already feeling the homework pressure.

What's New:
* Removed the latest hourly build text. Why? You can no longer install the latest hourly with the latest version of Luma Updater to the text is useless and therefore has been removed.
* Changed the display text at the bottom of the top screen.
* The following is credit to chenzw95 on GitHub:
* Block all updates from Luma3DS v7.1, which is only compatible with b9s v1.0/v1.1. This is to help with people updating to Luma3DS v8.0+ without updating b9s first.
* Show error codes in hex, for consistency across apps.
* Allow users to restore any backups if they have no internet connection.
* Removed the path changer code because Luma3DS no longer uses it.

Notes:
* Luma3DS v8.0+ is only to be used with boot9strap v1.2+. Please follow https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s to update to boot9strap v1.2+.

What's New v2:
* Fixed the current installed version, based on the suggestion made by @x7l7j8cc in #13.

What's New
:
* Disabled updating to the latest hourly, with help from @Kartik. If you have updated to boot9strap v1.2 and Luma3DS v8.0+, download Luma Updater v2.1.1 to continue updating to the latest hourly. Don't come crying to me when you boot to a black screen after an hourly build doesn't work.

Notes:
* Because of the name of the latest stable Luma3DS release, Luma Updater will say "A new stable version of Luma3DS is available" despite you already having the latest version (8.0-21db0d4). This is something I cannot fix until the name of the stable release changes back to the format it was in. Keep checking Luma3DS's releases page to see if a new stable version is actually released.

If you do get a black screen after updating to the latest hourly, do the following:
1. Download the latest stable release of Luma3DS for your version of boot9strap (v8.0+ for b9s v1.2 users, v7.1 for b9s v1.1 or v1.0 users).
2. Take your SD card out of your system and delete the boot.firm file on the root of your SD card.
3. Move the boot.firm from the Luma3DS .7z file you downloaded in Step 1 to the root of your SD card.
4. Put SD card back into your system and power it on. You should now load into the Home Menu.

Please note: Do not update to the latest hourly at this time. The hourly builds are broken. This is not a bug with Luma Updater, please do not state that this a bug. Any issues posted on the issues page about this will be closed immediately and ignored as I see them.

As of this update, this has been submitted to TitleDB. It is the second Luma3DS Updater listed, with KunoichiZ / Hamcha listed as the author.

What's New:
* Made writing to CTRNAND optional. To use it, select the option you want to install and when asked, press A+X to enable CTRNAND writing or B to disable CTRNAND writing (instructions will be on the bottom screen). Thanks to @Kartik for that.
* Added restore CTRNAND boot.firm.bak. The text for this will be on the bottom screen when you select Restore backup and the top screen will not change. Thanks to @Kartik again.
* Removed the extra commit character next to "Current installed version". Thanks to @gnmmarechal for that.
( Changed the title ID to 00040000001deb00. Previously, it was 00040000001dea00. This change is to hopefully make it show up in TitleDB. You will have to delete the old version to use this version, otherwise, you'll have two versions of Luma Updater installed.

* Re-added commit number next "Current installed version".
* Added a warning for A9LH users to not use this.
* Fixed issue where "Unknown or valid payload type" error would occur. Just use the updated lumaupdater.cfg and place it on the root of your SD card
* Fixed issue where app would crash with no internet connection. App still does not properly load without an internet connection. Thanks to chenzw95 on GitHub.
* Added capability to write boot.firm to CTRNAND as well as SD. Thanks to Pirater12 on GitHub.
* Added link to my issues page and removed Hamcha's link (this was an oversight on my part as I should've done this when v1.5 came out)
* Added custom boot logo. Thanks @PabloMK7
* Fixed the latest hourlies being missing. Thanks @astronautlevel

* Added support for SigHax/Boot9strap
* Added support for Luma3DS's boot.firm (since Luma3DS no longer supports A9LH/menuhax/Homebrew Launcher)
* Changed most if not every reference to A9LH to SigHax

* I removed the dev text and the commit version next to the latest stable. I've read where that was confusing people, thinking it was a developer version of Luma3DS instead of the latest stable version.
* I removed the Configuration file text, as that seemed useless to me.
* And I changed the text "Install normal version" to "Install stable version".

Download link (latest release): https://github.com/KunoichiZ/lumaupdate/releases/latest
Source code: https://github.com/KunoichiZ/lumaupdate/

Credits:
* @Hamcha for the original code.
* @Aurora Wright and co. for Luma3DS.
* @astronautlevel for the nightlies/hourlies site and for helping fix the issue with them in LU.
* @Plailect for including Luma Updater in his guide.
* Pirater12 on GitHub/@Kartik for the CTRNAND writing code, help with disabling the hourly option, and for coming up with a fix for the Github TLS v1.0/v1.1 issue.
* saibotu and AngelSL on Github for their help on coming up with a fix for the Github TLS v1.0/v1.1 issue.
* @Steveice10 for his buildtools's template.rsf for the things needed to make CTRNAND writing work.
* chenzw95 on GitHub for the "No internet when loading app crash" fix and lots of other code used in the app.
* @arc13 for his help on changing the boot animation.
* @PabloMK7 for the custom boot animation.
* @gnmmarechal for their help on removing the extra character next to the commit number.
* @Majickhat55 & @sks316 for testing.
* and anyone else I may have forgotten.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

KunoichiZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As BootNTR Selector, to be connected verifies updates and if there is updated first.
It has the code to download and install the update, but it's not working for some reason, which is strange because I haven't touched the updater stuff (all I did was change Hamcha's link to mine).
"Checking for updated updater" tells me 2.0 is the latest. It doesn't update itself.
Thanks for letting me know. Here we go again.

Reactions: RacsoSakuraba

PetitMagique

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this automatically update CTRNAND too? When I start it, it says payload path "/boot.firm" which I'm assuming is SD root directory. Is this because I have a copy of the 'boot.firm' on my SD root?

KunoichiZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this automatically update CTRNAND too? When I start it, it says payload path "/boot.firm" which I'm assuming is SD root directory. Is this because I have a copy of the 'boot.firm' on my SD root?
Yes it does automatically update the boot.firm on CTRNAND too. /boot.firm can be taken as the root of CTRNAND and the root of the SD card.

Also: Please ignore the v2.1z update! This is for testing purposes.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
If we use "payload path = luma.firm" for example, will the .firm inside the CTRNAND also be called "luma.firm" or it is only applied to the .firm in the SD?

KunoichiZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we use "payload path = luma.firm" for example, will the .firm inside the CTRNAND also be called "luma.firm" or it is only applied to the .firm in the SD?
The SD only, iirc. But you would have to rename it on the SD root (I think), and I'm not sure what renaming has.

I'm sorry if my answers to questions are vague or anything, or if I'm not entirely sure of my answers. I'm working on trying to fix the auto updater and my brain's starting to hurt.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
The SD only, iirc. But you would have to rename it on the SD root (I think), and I'm not sure what renaming has.

I'm sorry if my answers to questions are vague or anything, or if I'm not entirely sure of my answers. I'm working on trying to fix the auto updater and my brain's starting to hurt.
No problem, take your time

KunoichiZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, I can't figure out why autoupdate is not working. I'm comparing Hamcha's code to mine, and I've made no changes to the updating code, other than where to download the latest update. If someone with more knowledge on this wants to help me, I'd be down for that.

rickpower

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
world i moving too fast, i used reinand from a year and couple months back updated to luma not THE ARLH9 thing because i have 64 card full of games and dont want to mess things up and now i wont get luma updates because this lesostrap 'thing' 3ds still runnning 11.3 i dont even know if its safe to update

sora10pls

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
world i moving too fast, i used reinand from a year and couple months back updated to luma not THE ARLH9 thing because i have 64 card full of games and dont want to mess things up and now i wont get luma updates because this lesostrap 'thing' 3ds still runnning 11.3 i dont even know if its safe to update
http://3ds.guide/ is your best friend

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: being sick still sucks