3DS won't boot into DS Mode, Extended Memory Mode and more

SamNosferatu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hello! I recently bought my first 3DS console, an Old XL model from a local seller however it's been having many issues that are just completely ruining the experience for me. I will describe them and go through all that I've done so far to fix it.

So the first thing I did upon booting the console was performing an update of both Luma3DS and well as bootstrap9, followed by factory resetting the console as I wanted to start from the beginning. One thing that I've already noticed right after is that the camera was broken, accessing it through the camera app resulted in an unresponsive black screen and using the L and R buttons would freeze the console.

The first major issue was when attempting to play a GBA Virtual Console inject, launching the game resulted in a black screen and the console would become unresponsive, tried another GBA inject, same thing, looked through the internet and the only cause for this seemed to be an outdated Luma but that was just updated, someone suggested to check if DS mode worked, which I promptly did by trying to load the DS Internet Settings which to my surprise resulted in the same unresponsive black screen.

I spent a long time troubleshooting this, I went through the section in the 3DS hacks forums that went over a broken DS mode, applied the TWLfix to no avail, tried reflashing the NVRAM. None of the common solutions seemed to work, I stumbled across this thread with someone in a similar situation (my DS Mode is Still bricked!). It seemed then to me that a CTRTransfer was the only other software solution I could pursue, so I did so, more than once, when the first failed I performed a Type D9 Transfer as well, but the results were the same, attempting to launch DS Mode resulted in that same black screen no matter what. That thread suggested it may be a hardware issue related to the camera, a notion supported by the DS_mode_unbrick guide in the 3DS Hacks Wiki.

I then ordered tools, to open up the 3DS at a later date to check on the camera, but for now decided to play some 3DS games. I attempted to play Mario Kart 7, but booting the game resulted in unrelated issue, an infinite loading wheel, no matter how much time I waited the game was stuck with the title "Mario Kart 7" with the wheel on the bottom right just loading infinitely. I remembered CTGP existed and so I figured I'd try to maybe launch the game from that? I don't know exactly how I thought that'd work but I did install CTGP but upon booting the launcher, the unresponsive black screen, again. By that point I was just confused but then I read that CTGP uses the extended memory mode. To confirm that this was the issue I got a game that utilizes such mode, Super Mario Maker, and as expected, black screen on that too.

There was a section in the region change guide that goes over fixing this, Fixing locale-related issues, I did follow it, but no success in fixing, I then tried a system format and a tinyformat but none could fix the extended memory applications not booting.

I am genuinely at a loss of what to do or what to even try, in a leap of faith I just tried restoring my first sysnand backup from before the first CTRTransfer but that didn't do anything either. I suspect a Hardware issue, when the issue was with DS Mode I figured for sure the camera was the culprit but now I really do not know the extent of this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post automatically merged:

As an update, I performed a hw-test and it returned 0 RAM errors

Did some further testing today, I fixed the Extended Memory applications not booting by downgrading Luma, DS Mode and GBA injects are still broken however

Last edited by SamNosferatu,
Reactions: refat17

refat17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wanted to add to this since I just recently came up to a similar situation. It's seems like you did similar things to me and some more. To add to what you did, I had a Nand backup from two years ago that I restored to and even in that scenario DS Mode resulted in a black screen.

In my case the cameras are fine and I also got 0 errors after running hw-test.

I also just tested a GBA virtual console game (Mario Kart Super Circuit), and I am getting the black screen. For me DSiWare also does not work and a real DS cart did not work either (DS cart is recognized but launched to the unresponsive black screen). These errors seem to occur without the SD card inserted too. SNES and GBC virtual console are fine though (so I guess the issue is specifically related to the fact that DS mode and GBA VC are not emulation). Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario Maker work fine for me on the latest version of Luma (so I guess I haven't come across the eextendeed memory issue you did and I assume its unrelated to the issues for DS mode and GBA Virtual Console).

The last thing I did regarding DS mode was updating to the latest Twilight Menu++ (v26.8.0) from v26.7.0, and updating nds-bootstrap to v1.4.0 from v1.3.1, updated through Universal Updater. The last thing I did that was working was playing Call of Duty Black Ops DS online through Twilight Menu (v26.7.0).

The last things I remember doing after playing black ops and before noticing this problem were trying out streaming on my 3DS to computer using Boot NTR plus Snickerstream, and getting a Streetpass for the first time. I don't feel like these would be related but worth mentioning evrything in case it ends up being relevant for some reason.

Other than DS mode and GBA Virtual console, everything else works as expecetd, without issue.

In my case I got the 3DS about a month ago (new 3DS XL American version), and there was clearly lots of play on the DS mode already through Twilight Menu. I also updated to the lastest Twilight Menu++ and nds-bootstrap version at around that time and played DS games just fine. I also played with my DS cart (Phantom Hourglass) at the time, just fine (launched using the 3DS menu).

No clue why any of this would happen all of a sudden.

Last edited by refat17,
Reactions: SamNosferatu

SamNosferatu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Some updates, for starters I found out I can run GBA games through open_agb_firm, only the Virtual Console Injects for that console seem to be broken. I should test the VC injects of other consoles next.

I tinkered around Luma versions and it seems that I can only run Extended Memory applications with Luma3DS version 9.1, downgraded to 9.0 for testing purposes but I couldn't boot, upgrading to 10.0, same thing. Other versions I tested were 13.0.2(latest) 13.0.1, 11 and 10.2.1, those work but I am unable to boot into extended memory applications (black screen)

As for DS mode, no progress there either, I tried running the 'safety test' script in the "Removing CFW"(I didn't go through with it tho) guide just to maybe verify if it worked with if my 3DS was in stock mode but no luck, DS network settings still returned a black screen

GB, GBC and NES VCs all function

Last edited by SamNosferatu,

refat17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some updates, for starters I found out I can run GBA games through open_agb_firm, only the Virtual Console Injects for that console seem to be broken. I should test the VC injects of other consoles next.

I tinkered around Luma versions and it seems that I can only run Extended Memory applications with Luma3DS version 9.1, downgraded to 9.0 for testing purposes but I couldn't boot, upgrading to 10.0, same thing. Other versions I tested were 13.0.2(latest) 13.0.1, 11 and 10.2.1, those work but I am unable to boot into extended memory applications (black screen)

As for DS mode, no progress there either, I tried running the 'safety test' script in the "Removing CFW"(I didn't go through with it tho) guide just to maybe verify if it worked with if my 3DS was in stock mode but no luck, DS network settings still returned a black screen

GB, GBC and NES VCs all function
Was curious and tested open_agb_firm, and for me at least it's not working. It just freezes on the chainloader menu and I'm forced to manually power off the device.

refat17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that's odd, you can't even open it to choose a rom?
Nope because it doesn't even get to that point, just immediate freeze and the Chainloader options are just stuck on the screen with no response to any controls. This is my first time trying it though, so unsure if its related to the DS Mode problem or not. Maybe not based on the fact it works for you.

SamNosferatu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Final Update for me, my tools arrived and I fixed everything. As it turns out, the faulty camera was the thing causing ALL of my issues, unplugging it has made everything work again.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

refat17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for coming back and keeping us updated.

https://wiki.hacks.guide/wiki/3DS:DS_mode_unbrick

Huh, weird. I wonder if there's a technical explanation anywhere?
I forget where I read but the DS Mode check for certain hardware components and will fail if they have issues. Other than the camera, a failing or loose wifi chip can also result in DS mode not working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto