[DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Robz8, May 28, 2017.

1. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Top screen Twilight alt2 colored centered.
    TWiLight Menu++ (or TWLMenu++, for short)
    GUI for DS(i) games, and DSi Menu replacement for DS/DSi/3DS/2DS

twlmenu on consoles 2 (16;10, fixed, denoised).

IMG_20190726_205522_525.

Features
    • Launch DS(i) ROMs from the SD card and/or flashcard, via nds-bootstrap (comes included with the app)!
      For flashcards, the flashcard kernel/firmware can optionally be used to boot the games.
    • Automatic on-the-fly AP-patching! Drag and drop your ROMs onto the SD card, and play, without any additional steps!
      The included AP-patches are loaded for a specific game, by nds-bootstrap, and the patching is done in RAM, leaving your original ROM untouched.
    • Bring the DSi Menu to your DS Phat/lite, by putting TWLMenu++ on a flashcard!
    • First DS flashcard UI to show animated icons from DSi-Enhanced, DSi-Exclusive, and DSiWare games!
    • Overclock your DS games to 133mhz, faster than normal DS clock speed of 67mhz!
    • For DSi/3DS/2DS users: Change sound frequency from 32kHz to 48kHz for higher sound quality!
    • Directly access the flashcard's microSD card, and switch to and from there anytime! (Only applies to the flashcards listed right below the instructions.)
    • Set the language to your preference.
    • Run the last played ROM on TWiLight Menu++ startup.
    • Play retro games from these consoles:
      (Super) GameBoy (Color), via GameYob
      NES/Famicom, via nesDS
      Sega Master System/Game Gear, via S8DS
      Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, via jEnesisDS
      Super Nintendo/Famicom, via SNEmulDS
    • 3DS/2DS users: Play DS games in 16:10 widescreen! Not all games will work with this feature.
      (Find the tab "3DS/2DS: Playing in Widescreen" for how to use this feature.)

Boot Demo (by Alex S):

(Old video with the SRLoader name)

Download
    If you have a DSi, or a 3DS/2DS without CFW, you'll need a DSiWare exploit to run TWiLight Menu++.
    Also works with flashcards. Please check the instructions for flashcard users.

NOTE: If you have any issues happening in the DS games themselves on the SD card, please post the issue in the nds-bootstrap thread.

Compatible DSiWare exploits for nds-bootstrap, without CFW
    • sudokuhax (uses GenericTWLPayload)
    • fieldrunnerhax (uses GenericTWLPayload)
    • grtpwn (uses GenericTWLPayload)
    • ugopwn/Flipnote Lenny (only for v0.11.0 and v0.11.2)

Instructions

1. In the 7z file, extract the "_nds" folder from both the 7z root and the "DSi&3DS - SD card users" folder, to the SD Card root. Merge folders, when asked to.
      2. Extract the "boot.nds" file from the "DSi&3DS - SD card users" folder, to the SD Card root.
      3. Put .gb/.gba/.gbc/.gen/.gg/.nes/.nds/.sms/.smc/.sfc ROMs anywhere on your SD card.
      4. Launch your exploted DSiWare game, and TWiLight Menu++ will load!
      NOTE for DSi users: If you're using exploits such as Memory Pit, ugopwn, Flipnote Lenny, or 4swordshax, or if you're not using HiyaCFW and/or Unlaunch to boot TWiLight Menu++, you won't be able to play DS ROMs, and only GB(C), NES, and DS homebrew can be ran.

1. In the 7z file, extract the "_nds" folder from both the 7z root and the "DSi&3DS - SD card users" folder, to the SD Card root. Merge folders, when asked to.
      2. Extract the "boot.nds" file from the "DSi&3DS - SD card users" folder, to the SD Card root.
      3. Extract what's in "DSi - CFW users/SDNAND root" to the root of your SD card.
      4. Put .gb/.gba/.gbc/.gen/.gg/.nes/.nds/.sms/.smc/.sfc ROMs anywhere on your SD card.
      5. (Unlaunch users) In Unlaunch menu, go to options, and set the "No button" option to "TWLMENUPP".
      6. Launch TWiLight Menu++!

1. Install the updater here.
      2. Launch the updater.
      3. Touch Release next to TWL Menu++. Extraction may take a while.
      4. Do Step 3 again, but for nds-bootstrap.

3. Extract the "cia" folder from the "3DS - CFW users" folder, to the SD Card root.
      4. Put .gb/.gba/.gbc/.gen/.gg/.nes/.nds/.sms/.smc/.sfc ROMs anywhere on your SD card.
      5. Install all 2 CIAs in the "cia" folder in "3DS - CFW users".
        NOTE: If you're using EmuNAND, then install them to SysNAND as well.
      6. Launch TWiLight Menu++!

• 1. In the 7z file, extract the "_nds" folder from both the 7z root and the "Flashcard users" folder, to the flashcard's microSD card root. Merge folders, when asked to.
      2. Extract the "boot.nds" file from the "Flashcard users" folder, to the flashcard's microSD card root.
      3. Put .gb/.gba/.gbc/.gen/.gg/.nes/.nds/.sms/.smc/.sfc ROMs anywhere on your flashcard's microSD card.
      (Optional) Using your flashcard firmware to load retail/commercial ROMs
      4. Extract what's in "Flashcard users/Autoboot/(your flashcard)" to the root of the flashcard's microSD card. (Skip this, if you don't see your flashcard.)
      5. DS Phat/DS lite users: Go to settings in the DS menu, and turn on auto-start, so your flashcard will start on boot.
      6. You're good to go! Launch your flashcard, and TWiLight Menu++ will load! (Load "boot.nds", if you're in the regular flashcard menu, or if autobooting doesn't work.)
      7. You can also set your preferred sound/mic frequency, if you're using a DSi, 3DS, or 2DS.
      If you want to use TWL clock speed and/or VRAM boost on your flashcard games, launch your flashcard using TWiLight Menu++ on the console's SD card, with the "SCFG access in Slot-1" setting turned on.

• Requires a 64-bit Windows PC.

Preparation
      1. If you're not on the latest TWiLight Menu++ version, please install it using the manual method.
        If your first version was v9.0.0 or later, you can skip this step.
      2. Make sure Luma's "boot.firm" is on the SD root as well.

Part 1: GodMode9
      1. Go to "SYSNAND CTRNAND".
      2. Select "title".
      3. Select "00040138".
      4. Select "#0000102". (# is 2 on new3DS, and 0 on old3DS)
      5. Select "content".
      6. Select "000000##.app". (## represents the highest number you find.)
      7. Select "NCCH image options...".
      8. Select "Mount image to drive".
      9. Enter path, when asked to.
      10. Select "exefs.bin"
      11. Copy to "0:/gm9/out"
      12. Power off the console.

Part 2: Making the widescreen TwlBg, and using it
      1. Download TWL Patcher from this post.
      2. Copy "exefs.bin" file in "sd:/gm9/out/", to the same folder as "mkpatch_b.exe".
      3. Rename the .bin file to "section0.bin".
      4. Open Notepad.
      5. Put this in Notepad
        Code:
        mkpatch_b asd 1010

6. Save as "wide.bat" in the same folder as "mkpatch_b.exe".
      7. Run "wide.bat".
      8. Create a folder called "TwlBg" in "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/".
      9. Copy the newly made "TwlBg.cxi" to the "TwlBg" folder.
      10. Rename the cxi file to "Widescreen.cxi".
      11. In Luma config, enable external FIRMs and modules.
      12. In TWLMenu++ settings, switch the page to "Games/Apps settings", and set "Screen Aspect Ratio" to "16:10".

You're all done! Enjoy your DS games in widescreen!
      NOTE: Do not hold START or SELECT when launching TWLMenu++, if you don't want widescreen to look glitched.

1. Find CIAs of DS Download Play and Pictochat around the internet, and download them.
      2. Open a hex editor, and open the CIAs in the hex editor.
      3. Trim the first 0x3900 bytes off the CIAs.
      4. Make sure these are written at offset C:
        Download Play: HNDA
        Pictochat: HNEA
      5. Save DLP as "dlplay.nds", and Pictochat as "pictochat.nds", both at "sd:/_nds/".

• NOTE: You do not need to follow this if you're using a flashcard.

To make a RAM disk, download this tool (click "Download Software"), and follow the instructions below.

Instructions by @Dakkon7, modified by me:
      1. Run RAMDisk
      2. Click View -> Advanced
      3. For Disk Size, type "12" for DSi, or "28" for 3DS, above Max 1023 MB.
      4. Un-mark Create TEMP Directory, if it's already marked.
      5. Click Load/Save
      6. Click "Start RAMDisk", and a new window for your .img should appear.
      7. Place any file and/or folder the homebrew expects there.
      8. In the RAMDisk program, click "Save Disk Image Now".
      9. Save "romname.img" to a folder called "ramdisks" in the .nds file location.
      10. Click "Stop RAMDisk" when you're done.
      11. In TWiLight Menu++, open per-game settings for your homebrew.
      12. Set RAM disk to 0.
      13. Launch your homebrew, and it should read your RAM disk.

1. Make sure box art/game cover is set to be shown in TWiLight Menu++ settings.
      2. Download a png box art pack from here.
      3. Extract the .png files to "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/boxart".
      4. Your DS game's box art/game cover will now be shown!
      To add your own box art:
      Place them in "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/boxart".
      Can either have the game's TID (ex. ASME.png), or the filename (ex. SM64DS.nds.png).
      Must be in .png format, with the size of 128x115.
      Individual box art can also be downloaded from GameTDB.

• The custom image(s) goes in "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/dsimenu/photos", must end in the .bmp format, with exactly the size of 208x156, with no color space info, and is 16-bit (X1 R5 G5 B5).

• This requires a DSi console with Unlaunch 0.9 or later.
      This will not work if you're using a 3DS or 2DS console.
      1. Download appgen (by jerbear64) (If your computer says it's a virus, it is a false positive).
      2. Place it in "/title/00030004".
      3. Run appgen.
      4. Move your .nds, .pub, and .prv files into "sd:/roms/dsiware".
      5. Launch your DSiWare .nds from TWiLight Menu++, and enjoy!

Flashcards supported with direct access, if running on the console's SD card:
    • Acekard 2i (Cannot launch games)
    • R4 Ultra (regular, not R4i) (r4ultra.com)

NOTES:
    • Please check this list for what games work and do not work from the SD card.
      If you're running the game from a flashcard, then you won't need this, unless if you're running B4DS (nds-bootstrap for flashcards).
    • DSi-Enhanced games currently won't work in DSi mode.

Controls

DSi, 3DS Menu, and SEGA Saturn theme
    • Left/Right: Select a game/app.
    • A/START: Launch game/app
    • L/R: Switch pages.
    • Y: Per-game settings
    • Y+X: Cheat menu
    • X: Delete/hide game
    • (DSi/Saturn theme) SELECT: SELECT menu (Where system menu, TWLMenu++ Settings, and GBARunner2/GBA Mode can be accessed)
    R4 theme
    • Up/Down: Select a game/app.
    • A: Launch game/app
    • Y: Per-game settings
    • Y+X: Cheat menu
    With CFW: DS ROMs (on SD)/carts
    • L+R+DOWN+B for 2 seconds: Return to TWiLight Menu++.
      (If using an O3DS, then it does not work on all models)

Credits
    • @retrogamefan, Rudolph: Included AP-patches.
    • @ahezard: nds-bootstrap
    • @Gericom: GBARunner2
    • @Drenn: GameYob
    • @Coto: nesDS
    • Lordus: jEnesisDS
    • archeid (Loopy): SNEmulDS
    • @FluBBa: S8DS
    • @Sono: Widescreen patch for TWL_FIRM. The widescreen feature wouldn't have been possible without it.
    • @fintogive, @RadDude McCoolguy, @KazoWAR, me, @Vague Rant, @gamemasterplc, and @ChampionLeake: Various widescreen cheat codes.
    • @Apache Thunder: Providing the Miku theme (not made by him) for Acekard theme, nesDS TWL Edition, and the DSi splash from NTR Launcher.
    • @Vulpes-Vulpeos: TWiLight Menu++ logo (v4.3.0-v6.2.1, and for the launcher, after v1.0.0).
    • @Joom: Original TWLoader logo.
    • me: For implementing the auto-reset power button function used in NTR-mode, volume button control, fixed sound, and LED functions, to nds-bootstrap.
    • @shutterbug2000: For the muted sound/touchscreen fix for nds-bootstrap, and the GB icon.
    • @nocash123: For the touchscreen mode switch log. Without it, the sound/touchscreen fix code wouldn't exist.
    • @spinal_cord: DSi4DS and DSision2 graphics.
    • devkitPro: Code used in nds-hb-menu, and the use of the bootloader, devkitARM, libnds, and libfat.
    • FlameKat53: First photo featuring the DS/DSi/3DS consoles, with me removing some distracting reflections on the 3DS and DSi consoles. :P

FAQs

(3DS users) This is a DS(i) emulator, right?
    After installing the TWiLight Menu++ CIAs, I don't see the app on the 3DS HOME Menu. How can I fix this?
    Why is my 3DS/2DS stuck on black screen when launching TWiLight Menu++? Why is my 3DS/2DS powering off when launching TWiLight Menu++?
    I followed all the steps on how to play in widescreen, but the supported games are still running in 4:3, but with glitchiness on the right side. How do I fix this?
    I followed all the steps on how to play in widescreen, but the supported games are still running in 4:3, but with hex numbers on the right side. How do I fix this?
    After launching a game in widescreen, the TWLMenu++ GUI is stretched in the top screen! How do I fix this?
    How do I get past Luma's exception screen when trying to soft-reset the game, or return to TWiLight Menu++?
    How do I fix TWiLight Menu++ restarting when launching a game? How do I fix TWiLight Menu++ giving a Guru Meditation Error when launching a game?
    Can The Biggest Loser boot TWiLight Menu++?
    Why do I get a white screen when trying to load a game from SD Card, and how do I fix it?

Last edited by Robz8, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:33 AM
  2. Deletr753

Deletr753 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Guatemala
    great job!!! Can't wait to try it.

3. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Robz8,do you know a good tutorial for modifying the nand and installing sudokuhax?

4. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    wicksand420 and sil1982 like this.
  5. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Thanks Robz8, Keep on kickin' ass!!!

Shoveland and NoNAND like this.
  6. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Forgot to mention (OP is edited to include him):
    • @nocash123: For the touchscreen mode switch log. Without it, the sound/touchscreen fix code wouldn't exist.

Shoveland and Subtle Demise like this.
  7. Jhynjhiruu

Jhynjhiruu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 31, 2016
    *Anxiously awaits DSi hacks to get as good as 3DS ones*

8. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    I second that!

9. Jhynjhiruu

Jhynjhiruu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 31, 2016
    I mean, my DSi is currently in pieces, and I don't know when (if) it will ever get put back together again, but still...

Oleboy555 likes this.
  10. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
    Im going to test it definitly and im going to make some videos.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I tried to load the srloader .nds and i get a white screen (hbmenu works fine)

11. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    Congratz, i have dsi xl on latest fw with fieldrunners and sudoku installed, also have the biggest loser cartridge but unfortunately neither work for this. Hope there will be a way to hack from software only.

12. DarkGabbz

Dec 29, 2015
    Modding Xbox'es
    The hardmod is pretty easy and who thought that you NEED biggest loser to read the cid when you just can use a laptop with a sd card reader.

reprep likes this.
  13. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    I havent used solder for a long time, cant dare hardmod and i cant find anyone who can hardmod it for me around. I bought biggest loser just in case, it is cheap anyways.

14. DarkGabbz

Dec 29, 2015
    Modding Xbox'es
  15. celsior

celsior Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Wait do i have to hardmode my dsi ? 0.o

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

and also didn´t the dsiware shop closed ?

16. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    SRLoader has known compatibility issues with 4swordshax. Boot it from Sudokuhax instead.

17. DarkGabbz

Dec 29, 2015
    Modding Xbox'es
    I don't have sudokuhax. 4swordshax is the only exploitable game i have.

Last edited by DarkGabbz, May 28, 2017
  18. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Well you'll need to install it then. You can do that by forging a ticket for it and manually installing the SRL/TMD onto NAND using fwtool to extract/inject nand.

19. DarkGabbz

Dec 29, 2015
    Modding Xbox'es
    How do i get sudoku with a ticket?

20. DarkGabbz

Dec 29, 2015
    Modding Xbox'es
    Im now soldering my hardmod back on.