Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, seems that I am running into a issue with Twilight on a Flash Card.

I use a r4isdhc com card (with the year 2020 on it), which as it seems either runs Ysmenu or Twilight as a alternative, because it's a Time Bomb Card.

So I switched over to Twilight, mainly because I like the UI much more then Ysmenu (and for some old emulators, nes, gbc etc, it's nicer too imo).

The issue now tho is, tried 3 different brands of SD Cards (Samsung, Lexar, Netac) all 32GB in size and all formated to Fat32/32kb, while everything seems to work fine, it appears that Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver doesn't want to work with it (it crashes when entering / leaving the professors lab or acquiring the first pokemon) and just ends in a black screen (sound still going without any hiccups).

While other pokemon games seem to run without issues (played black to first gym).

I am using the lastest release of Twilight Menu for Flash Cards. Any idea what the issue could be here?
Since the AP issues should already be patched out, and if you're using nds-bootstrap as the game loader, the issue is most likely due to timing differences when reading from the microSD card.

Sinrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since the AP issues should already be patched out, and if you're using nds-bootstrap as the game loader, the issue is most likely due to timing differences when reading from the microSD card.
AP Patching should be done by Twilight itself, since Black / Black 2 didn't had any issues, right? Besides that, Yes I didn't changed anything fancy in the Twilight settings to change the loader or anything.

All I did was doing the "Auto Boot Twilight" stuff for my Card so I didn't need to go into Ysmenu first to load Twilight up.

Would there be anything I could do to resolve that issue? Except trying even more Micro SD cards?
Since changing SD Card reading speed and other things are only for DSi / 3DS I assume?

But the cards aren't exactly slow either to begin with, tested them with Crystaldiskmark and getting for the default read settings
95mb/s
95mb/s
8mb/s
7mb/s

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AP Patching should be done by Twilight itself, since Black / Black 2 didn't had any issues, right? Besides that, Yes I didn't changed anything fancy in the Twilight settings to change the loader or anything.

All I did was doing the "Auto Boot Twilight" stuff for my Card so I didn't need to go into Ysmenu first to load Twilight up.

Would there be anything I could do to resolve that issue? Except trying even more Micro SD cards?
Since changing SD Card reading speed and other things are only for DSi / 3DS I assume?

But the cards aren't exactly slow either to begin with, tested them with Crystaldiskmark and getting for the default read settings
95mb/s
95mb/s
8mb/s
7mb/s
Reading speed cannot be changed on any console.
It seems you may need to change the game loader to Kernel to fix the issues. Make sure you added the flashcard loader files, as per the flashcard guide.

Sinrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reading speed cannot be changed on any console.
It seems you may need to change the game loader to Kernel to fix the issues. Make sure you added the flashcard loader files, as per the flashcard guide.
If I read the guide right, I basically add Ysmenu Kernel to it and load Ysmenu then as Loader instead of bootstrap, right?

Does Ysmenu have the same AP patches as Twilight? Or would I need to add AP Patched Files instead then? (Or will twilight still AP patch, but just loads the games with a different Kernel?)

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I read the guide right, I basically add Ysmenu Kernel to it and load Ysmenu then as Loader instead of bootstrap, right?
Yes.
Does Ysmenu have the same AP patches as Twilight? Or would I need to add AP Patched Files instead then? (Or will twilight still AP patch, but just loads the games with a different Kernel?)
YSMenu has it's own AP-patches.

Reactions: Sinrion

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

cloudstr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I have no idea how to fix the issue.

Well, I come up with an idea. . I think most people accessing the nds-bootstrap menu just to exit the game. How about making an exit key combination (can be customised) to exit the game immediately without the need of navigating through nds-bootstrap menu ? Maybe this will reduce the chance of games freezing ?

Last edited by cloudstr,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I come up with an idea. . I think most people accessing the nds-bootstrap menu just to exit the game. How about making an exit key combination (can be customised) to exit the game immediately without the need of navigating through nds-bootstrap menu ? Maybe this will reduce the chance of games freezing ?
Has been implemented for a while now (but is not customizable). The combo is L+R+Down+B for 2 seconds.

cloudstr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Has been implemented for a while now (but is not customizable). The combo is L+R+Down+B for 2 seconds.
Awesome, thanks for that!

If you don't mind please help me with another issue. I tried to disable "Save FAT table cache" setting but could not found it from the "Games and Apps settings" and other sections. (See pic)
I have a DSI XL with Unlaunch installed, running TwilightMenu via 32GB Samsung sd card.

Another question, is it possible to turn off the music in "GameBoy Color" theme ?

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by cloudstr,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind please help me with another issue. I tried to disable "Save FAT table cache" setting but could not found it from the "Games and Apps settings" and other sections. (See pic)
I have a DSI XL with Unlaunch installed, running TwilightMenu via 32GB Samsung sd card.
The setting got removed, as FAT table cache is no longer saved. Why?
Another question, is it possible to turn off the music in "GameBoy Color" theme ?
Not within TWLMenu++ itself. The volume would need to be turned down.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have this R4i3D cart and it works fine with TWiLight Menu++. I can get YSMenu to run on it also as it is a DSTT Clone I believe, but the weird thing is it will only run actual DS games. Any DSi enhanced games will white screen. I have used various DSTT Clones and never encounter something this bizarre. Why would the cart allow the game to run under TWiLight Menu++ but not YSMenu as DSI games run fine on other DSTT Clones?

All tested cards formatted using GuiFormat to FAT32 at 32k cluster size

Edit: Turns out it is simply microSD compatibility. I use TeamGroup brand 64 GB from Amazon for most of my carts and have never encountered a compatibility issue. Well the R4i3D refuses to launch DSI Enhanced games from this card. DS games launch fine which is really weird. Also Lexar brand would not work. Fortunately for me it seems to like the PNY Premiere-X line.

Anyone else have any interesting stories of microSD brands that did not work in their flashcart?
That is a DSTTi clone. Maybe try a 32GB or lower microSD card instead, or reformat it using GUIFormat.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a DSTTi clone. Maybe try a 32GB or lower microSD card instead, or reformat it using GUIFormat.
Thank you for your reply @SylverReZ. The issue was indeed microSD related. Some of my DSTT (clone and genuine) would/will not work with TeamGroup brand microSD cards. I tried reformatting with GUIFormat as you recommended and still DSI Enhanced games freeze. So I shifted to PNY brand microSD and miraculously all was well. I never suspected it was simply a branding issue as I have so many flashcarts and had not encountered anything like this before.

cloudstr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
The setting got removed, as FAT table cache is no longer saved. Why?

Not within TWLMenu++ itself. The volume would need to be turned down.
Ah, I got it. Thanks !!

I came up with another problem. I have a R4SHDC SILVER 2018 flashcard (pic) and want to use TWiLightMenu on it, with autoboot. Already dropped those files from "R4i-SDHC, r4isdhc.com cards 2014+..." and "R4IIISDHC" folders to my SD, but one just shows a white screen, another one shows a cutesy menu error icon.

I can use Ysmenu to boot TWiLightMenu nds file but I still prefers autoboot more. Any chance to support this flashcard?

Last edited by cloudstr,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I got it. Thanks !!

I came up with another problem. I have a R4SHDC SILVER 2018 flashcard (pic) and want to use TWiLightMenu on it, with autoboot. Already dropped those files from "R4i-SDHC, r4isdhc.com cards 2014+..." and "R4IIISDHC" folders to my SD, but one just shows a white screen, another one shows a cutesy menu error icon.

I can use Ysmenu to boot TWiLightMenu nds file but I still prefers autoboot more. Any chance to support this flashcard?
@lifehackerhansol works more on the flashcard side of things, so he'd probably know.

Reactions: cloudstr
v26.5.1

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v26.5.1
Includes nds-bootstrap v1.2.0 (GBATemp thread)

What's new?​

• When using hiyaCFW to launch TWLMenu++, Unlaunch will no longer start it.
    • This is done in case if the console's NAND chip no longer functions and you're starting hiyaCFW via ntrboot.

Bug fixes​

• Fixed attempting to use nds-bootstrap to run homebrew on flashcards.
  • Updated last year text in the Rocket Robz screen.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

furbi963

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
v26.5.1
Includes nds-bootstrap v1.2.0 (GBATemp thread)

What's new?​

• When using hiyaCFW to launch TWLMenu++, Unlaunch will no longer start it.
    • This is done in case if the console's NAND chip no longer functions and you're starting hiyaCFW via ntrboot.

Bug fixes​

• Fixed attempting to use nds-bootstrap to run homebrew on flashcards.
  • Updated last year text in the Rocket Robz screen.
Buenas, una pregunta tengo hiyaCFW y suelo actualizar reemplazando la archivos de TWiLight Menu++ y sin embargo con el tiempo TWiLight Menu++ falla (en algunos juegos y bastante raro salen pantallas rojas), que carpetas debería borrar para hacer una actualización limpia solo las de TWiLight Menu++ (del comprimido de github) o alguna más. Duda

:unsure::wacko:

Good, a question I have hiyaCFW and I usually update by replacing the TWiLight Menu++ files and however over time TWiLight Menu++ crashes (in some games and quite rare red screens come out), which folders should I delete to do a clean update only the TWiLight Menu++ ones (from the github compressed) or some more. Doubt

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:unsure::wacko:

Good, a question I have hiyaCFW and I usually update by replacing the TWiLight Menu++ files and however over time TWiLight Menu++ crashes (in some games and quite rare red screens come out), which folders should I delete to do a clean update only the TWiLight Menu++ ones (from the github compressed) or some more. Doubt
Follow this guide to uninstall: https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/uninstalling-ds
then follow this guide to install again: https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-dsi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto