OP
Trophies
Website
coolsonickirby.com
XP
Country
United States
zippy.png

One of the popular hosting sites, Zippyshare, has announced that it is closing it's doors in 2 weeks. They disclosed the following reasons as to why they were shutting down, stating:
– Since 2006 we have been on the market in an unchanged form, that is, as ad financed/free file hosting. However, you have been visiting in less and less over the years, as the arguably very simple formula of the services we offer is slowly running out of steam. I guess all the competing file storage service companies on the market look better, offer better performance and more features. No one needs a dinosaur like us anymore.

– All sorts of adblockers, whether built into the browser, as add-ons, or in the form of DNS services. Sure, we all use them, but they take away any control the site owner has over the site. Eventually we get to the point where a vicious cycle begins, in order to pay for the server infrastructure you are forced to place more and more ads, then users fire up more and more adblockers and we get to a point like today.

– Rising electricity prices. Over the past year, electricity prices have gone up 2.5 times, which, with a large number of servers, gives a significant increase in costs that we have no way to balance.

There are still a bunch of smaller reasons, but we could write a book on this, and probably no one would want to read it.

To sum it up, we can no longer afford to maintain the site.

Given how popular the site was back in the day and how widely it was used, there might be some important files hosted on it that will be gone soon. If you want to download anything that's hosted on Zippyshare, now is the time to do so. And if you have anything important uploaded on it, then it's recommended to backup your stuff now, since in two weeks their service will go down.

:arrow: Source

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was reading their page last night and actually felt quite sad reading it, I mean to be honest I very rarely use them anymore as there are many other options, but still they've been around a long time and this one is defo end of an era.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Honestly they are kinda crap compared to most other free file hosts, so it makes sense that it would end up like this.
Most things should already be mirrored elsewhere, so hopefully this won't have much impact.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't use it in spain nor in italy since it's blocked in those countries so for me it won't affect me. However it's still sad seeing one of those old sites go away

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They served a purpose back in the day, but have been a pain in the arse to use for a while now. I'm glad I finally don't need the vpn extension in my browser anymore.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 360185

One of the popular hosting sites, Zippyshare, has announced that it is closing it's doors in 2 weeks. They disclosed the following reasons as to why they were shutting down, stating:

Given how popular the site was back in the day and how widely it was used, there might be some important files hosted on it that will be gone soon. If you want to download anything that's hosted on Zippyshare, now is the time to do so. And if you have anything important uploaded on it, then it's recommended to backup your stuff now, since in two weeks their service will go down.

:arrow: Source
More media about to join the lost club.

Reactions: Redhorse

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a fatal blow, but it sucks nonetheless.
It's not so much an issue that there are no alternatives out there, as obviously there are, with mainstays like Mega, Mediafire, and Google Drive being faster at that. However, what will suck is that Zippyshare was always a quick option all the same, much quicker than many of the other ones out there. As such, over the years there have been many people to use Zippyshare, and only Zippyshare to host files. And this is what concerns me: we'll quickly see a LOT of files hosted across the internet no longer able to be downloaded since only Zippyshare was what they were uploaded to back when the upload was originally made.

Sure lots of downloads have mirrors or will see new download links put up in their place, but I do believe there will be a sizable amount of things that we can straight up not download anymore without finding or requesting another source.
Post automatically merged:

oh are those the ones you had to jump though liker 3 captcha to download anything? yeah they wont be missed. :P
Hmm, no I don't believe Zippyshare was ever a captcha hell at all. In fact I don't believe they had you ever do a single captcha.

reanonymousbusiness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not so much an issue that there are no alternatives out there, as obviously there are, with mainstays like Mega, Mediafire, and Google Drive being faster at that. However, what will suck is that Zippyshare was always a quick option all the same, much quicker than many of the other ones out there. As such, over the years there have been many people to use Zippyshare, and only Zippyshare to host files. And this is what concerns me: we'll quickly see a LOT of files hosted across the internet no longer able to be downloaded since only Zippyshare was what they were uploaded to back when the upload was originally made.

Sure lots of downloads have mirrors or will see new download links put up in their place, but I do believe there will be a sizable amount of things that we can straight up not download anymore without finding or requesting another source.
yes that is what I was thinking.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I guess all the competing file storage service companies on the market look better, offer better performance and more features.

It seems they are not aware that their site is banned in many countries. I can't connect with their server at all in Germany, France, and some other Western Europe countries via mobile network.
Post automatically merged:

oh are those the ones you had to jump though liker 3 captcha to download anything?
Nope. You needed 2 clicks. One for hidden popup and one for actual download.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night