Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

delta nite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently installed TWiLightmenu++ on my R4SDHC Gold Pro flashcart due to a game incompatibility with YsMenu but I am running into issues with Pokemon Soul Silver. At completely random points after performing an action like opening a menu or winning a battle the game will freeze with a black screen with the music still running. Also changing the game loader to Kernal to use Ysmenu causes TWiLightmenu to reboot when selecting the game.

I have tried two separate roms and a new save so far with no difference. I am using the latest version of Twilightmenu
I'm having this exact same issue on HGSS. Platinum, Black and White seem to be working fine without any AP Patches. Meanwhile, Heartgold has the random crashes when going in and out of buildings. Tried multiple clean roms and manually patching.

I'm using an r4isdhc 2019.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having this exact same issue on HGSS. Platinum, Black and White seem to be working fine without any AP Patches. Meanwhile, Heartgold has the random crashes when going in and out of buildings. Tried multiple clean roms and manually patching.

I'm using an r4isdhc 2019.
You may need to set the game loader to kernel instead of nds-bootstrap in order for the game to work properly.

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Permanent autobooting game bug:

there's a bug when dualbooting, at least ysmenu as primary and twlight, on first setup, if user boots twlightmenu.nds instead of ysmenu.nds and launches a game from it, that first game will get permanently stuck on autorun each time the console boots. i think it creates a TTmenu.sys, on first launch of nds files. i am not sure if this is the exact cause. i tried every suggested solution posted here. from deleting twlight settings.ini, setting autogamerun to 0(already set to 0). reformat sd card and fresh install created the same problem.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Permanent autobooting game bug:

there's a bug when dualbooting, at least ysmenu as primary and twlight, on first setup, if user boots twlightmenu.nds instead of ysmenu.nds and launches a game from it, that first game will get permanently stuck on autorun each time the console boots. i think it creates a TTmenu.sys, on first launch of nds files. i am not sure if this is the exact cause. i tried every suggested solution posted here. from deleting twlight settings.ini, setting autogamerun to 0(already set to 0). reformat sd card and fresh install created the same problem.
Your only solution is to blank out the autoboot path in YSMenu.ini, and then:
  1. Install the autoboot files for your flashcard, or
  2. Do not use Kernel as the game loader for TWLMenu++, and set nds-bootstrap as the loader.

Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
  2. Do not use Kernel as the game loader for TWLMenu++, and set nds-bootstrap as the loader.
What do you mean blank out the autoboot path? Would you please explain a bit more. I recently turned off my desktop and i am already in bed, else would have checked the file myself.

I think changing to kernel in TWLMEMU++ is the main issue, messing with the option will break the kernel option. At first i could launch games with eithet kernel or bootstrap, but then each time i chose kernel i get the error "flashcard may be unsupported"

I will test more and see.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean blank out the autoboot path? Would you please explain a bit more. I recently turned off my desktop and i am already in bed, else would have checked the file myself.
A setting called "AUTO_BOOT" is what contains the path of the last booted .nds file. Since TWLMenu++ writes to that setting so YSMenu can immediately boot the ROM, launching the flashcard that is set to autoboot YSMenu will then start the last booted game.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found something strange the latest twilight menu works fine from my sd card on my N3DSXL and my N2DSXL golden sun dark dawn works perfect but i have three r4i gold flashcards with twilight menu installed all games work fine on them except golden sun dark dawn is golden sun not yet playable on flashcards? This is the cards im using but mine are the 2020 version. I have tried them on a N3DSXL a N2DSXL and a DS lite. 51BpGGjxuML.jpg

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found something strange the latest twilight menu works fine from my sd card on my N3DSXL and my N2DSXL golden sun dark dawn works perfect but i have three r4i gold flashcards with twilight menu installed all games work fine on them except golden sun dark dawn is golden sun not yet playable on flashcards? This is the cards im using but mine are the 2020 version. I have tried them on a N3DSXL a N2DSXL and a DS lite. View attachment 404298
Golden Sun is currently not playable within nds-bootstrap on flashcards, so you'll need to switch Game Loader to Kernel for that game.

Reactions: worm28

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A setting called "AUTO_BOOT" is what contains the path of the last booted .nds file. Since TWLMenu++ writes to that setting so YSMenu can immediately boot the ROM, launching the flashcard that is set to autoboot YSMenu will then start the last booted game.
Would this affect any functionality?

As far as I understand, this option is necessary only if the user decided to use TWLMenu++ with the kernel aa boot option because it boots the game through the card launcher(ysmenu in my case).

Another question: would TWLMenu++ still get updates? I am wondering if better compatibility is possible in the future, overall it's an awesome all in one package, the only reason i wanted ysmenu, is because of better ds games compatibility.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this affect any functionality?

As far as I understand, this option is necessary only if the user decided to use TWLMenu++ with the kernel aa boot option because it boots the game through the card launcher(ysmenu in my case).
What do you mean?
Another question: would TWLMenu++ still get updates? I am wondering if better compatibility is possible in the future, overall it's an awesome all in one package, the only reason i wanted ysmenu, is because of better ds games compatibility.
YSMenu or Wood is as best as it will likely get, in terms of compatibility.

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What do you mean?
I meant, would i lose any functions, like "Reset hotkey" if i blank out the autoboot in YSMenu.ini

I also wanted to express my thanks amd gratitude for the immense support you're providing to the community 🙏🏽, you're doing god's work being very patient and responsive to all comments here, and it's all from your free time.

Reactions: RocketRobz

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
these are the autoboot from TWLMENU++ downloaded file for my card. would these work for ysmenu?

Edit; they would boot me into TWLMENU++
My autboot path in YSMENU.ini are already empty too.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 25

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, put these files on the flashcard's SD root (if you haven't done so yet).
If launching the flashcard no longer starts your last-launched game, then your issue is fixed.
I do, but it will autoboot to TWLMENU++, i want it to autoboot to ysmenu instead. That's not possible with the autoboot files i assume?

v26.3.0

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do, but it will autoboot to TWLMENU++, i want it to autoboot to ysmenu instead. That's not possible with the autoboot files i assume?
Ah, now I remember (that is, iirc) that you installed TWLMenu++ so that you can play DSiWare games.
If you prefer to use YSMenu as primary kernel, but still want to play DSiWare games, then the next version of NDSForwarder-DSi (which is now released) will support creating nds-bootstrap forwarders on flashcards, in order to launch DSiWare games using YSMenu (or other flashcard kernel) instead of TWLMenu++.
Post automatically merged:

v26.3.0
Includes nds-bootstrap v1.0.3 (GBATemp thread)

What's new?​

• @DeadSkullzJr: Updated AP-fix for Pokémon: Refined Gold Overhaul.
  • Added DSi build of A5200DS to run Bosconian at full speed!
  • Switched to the new version of nesDS!
  • @edo9300: Updated the DS Classic Menu to function more closely to the DS/DS Lite system menu!
  • Various: Updated translations and add Kazakh language!

Bug fixes​

• GFX_STATUS register is now cleared before booting homebrew.
  • @Dartz150: Added fix for Top Gun: Combat Zones when running in native GBA mode with Slot-2 flashcard.

Known bug​

• Some font characters are missing for the Kazakh language to properly display.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
https://github.com/lifehackerhansol/NDSForwarder-DSi

-so this allows games to use ndsbootstrap, does that mean the ndsbootstrap is integrated in this or do i have to install it manually?

-So i put my dsi games on a separate folder, then using the forwarder app, i navigate to their location and install them, then they should appear in folder named "Forwarders". And from there i should be able to launch them from ysmenu?

-And what about the AP patches, do i have to install games that require AP using the forwarder too?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/lifehackerhansol/NDSForwarder-DSi

-so this allows games to use ndsbootstrap, does that mean the ndsbootstrap is integrated in this or do i have to install it manually?

-So i put my dsi games on a separate folder, then using the forwarder app, i navigate to their location and install them, then they should appear in folder named "Forwarders". And from there i should be able to launch them from ysmenu?

-And what about the AP patches, do i have to install games that require AP using the forwarder too?
  • If you install the forwarder pack (which is required), then nds-bootstrap will be installed.
  • Correct.
  • If you plan on using nds-bootstrap to run those AP-protected games, yeah.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto