Emulation What are the emulation capability of a DSi? (2024)

darkworldq8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Hi,

I am wondering what are the emulation capabilities of a DSi? I have tried a few systems that were included in the Twilight Menu, but I haven't tried them enough and did not try adding other emulators or messing with the settings. I believe that SNES isn't great from my test. GBA seems to be great thanks to GBARunner2. I am planning on using the DSi to play and explore DS and retro handhelds for the most part, such as GB, GBC, GBA, GG, and maybe try NeoGeo Pocket and Atari Lynx.

I have picked up a few Nintendo handhelds in 2023 and 2022. I did get a few DS systems, and I want to turn one of the DSis into a retro handheld emulation device. I haven't had a DSi in the past, but got interested thanks to installing a CFW, playing games straight from an SD card, and since they were cheap (around $30 for a Japanese DSi).

darkworldq8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Thank you for the response. The links are helpful, but this isn't what I was looking for since I have a DSi.

I am assuming that the DSi has better performance, and I am assuming that the DSi should emulate better than a regular DS. I wanted the feedback of those who tested certain systems and can tell me how good or how bad certain emulators are on the DSi. For example, I don't want to invest in an emulator if that system can't be emulated well enough.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
To be fair. TWiLight Menu++ has all what you needed to be included. Maybe with GBARunner3 around the corner, that's about it. In 2024, they are better options out there for emulation.

The DSi scene has come a long way in that of what it was from 10 years ago. The DSi is still great for gaming, tho.

darkworldq8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
To be fair. TWiLight Menu++ has all what you needed to be included. Maybe with GBARunner3 around the corner, that's about it. In 2024, they are better options out there for emulation.

The DSi scene has come a long way in that of what it was from 10 years ago. The DSi is still great for gaming, tho.

TWiLight Menu++ is great. After setting it up, it does work great and is easy to use for someone who isn't used to the DSi. I did consider getting a cheap retro emulation handheld for specific systems, but I think running them on a DSi is cooler to me for some strange reason.

I haven't tried a lot of systems, and I don't think I have tried anything other than DS games for more than 5 minutes. I tried NeoGeo Pocket, but that had some borders and I didn't know how to remove them.

I probably need to invest a bit of time testing the emulators out on the DSi and derive my own conclusion, but that will probably take some hours of my time.

I don't think there is an Atari Lynx or Tiger Gamecom emulators, but I have a feeling that I am not missing much.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am assuming that the DSi should emulate better than a regular DS.
Not intrinsecally - sure it has double the clock and quadruple the RAM (so it can still be beaten on both fronts by a DS/Lite with the right accessories! :D ), but someone needs to sit down and do the work to use them

And while since 2015/17/18 (depending on soldering skills and preinstalled software) any non-chosen person had the ability to run "real" DSi homebrew, on absolute scale the amount of original DSi homebrew is worse than 3DS (still appalling compared to DS/PSP/Wii) while by percentage it's better but not by much :(

As I've said other times... what killed homebrew is the cell phone that utterly failed to kill console gaming, you know, that $120 (or quite less when used) thing you can install apks made by anyone (and replacement operating systems) on - and still has more battery life than any Nintendo console after the DS Lite :) :(

Reactions: Flame

darkworldq8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Not intrinsecally - sure it has double the clock and quadruple the RAM (so it can still be beaten on both fronts by a DS/Lite with the right accessories! :D ), but someone needs to sit down and do the work to use them

As I've said other times... what killed homebrew is the cell phone that utterly failed to kill console gaming, you know, that $120 (or quite less when used) thing you can install apks made by anyone (and replacement operating systems) on - and still has more battery life than any Nintendo console after the DS Lite :) :(

I was fearing that this would be the case. It is a letdown to me that no one, but it is totally understandable. A smartphone from 2010 or so probably can run emulators better than a DSi, and that is something that most people owned at that time.

I plan on running some tests for the more interesting systems to me. Like running 5 different types of games for a few systems and probably determine my own very limited conclusion. If I do that, I will probably post it on this website.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thank you for the response. The links are helpful, but this isn't what I was looking for since I have a DSi.

I am assuming that the DSi has better performance, and I am assuming that the DSi should emulate better than a regular DS. I wanted the feedback of those who tested certain systems and can tell me how good or how bad certain emulators are on the DSi. For example, I don't want to invest in an emulator if that system can't be emulated well enough.

You're mostly right, but look, a few of these emulators make great use of dsi power when available, for example wavemotion's emulators. Others are dsi specific, like scummvm.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just remembered that the first DSi enhanced emulator accessible to the masses is in fact a commercial one - Sonic Classics Collection, which despite still being inaccurate (it's a single-purpose special version of JenesisDS after all) does have a noticeable performance improvement in DSi mode :)

darkworldq8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
After testing at least 3 games per system (depending on the system), I came to the following conclusion:
  • Older handhelds run good enough for most games depending on the emulator and the game, including GG, NeoGeo Pocket Color (NGP), GB, GBC, and GBA.
  • Some GBA games have sound issues. The 2 3D GBA games that I tested either runs slow or doesn't boot. I ran them on GBARunner2.
  • SNES and Genesis aren't great. Some run ok with graphical and with frameskip and speedhacks. Some run extremely slow.
  • GB/GBC and GBA runs the best from the ones that I have tested. I did test both GB and GBC games using GameYob

I don't know if the emulators are running in DSi mode or if there is a way to do that. This is by no means a definite fact about each system. Even though the emulation is limited, but thanks to the hard work of the people behind those emulators for making this possible.

I was planning on emulating only GG, GB/GBC, and NGP on my DSi since the screen size is small and those systems were designed for small screens. If later on I don't get satisfied from emulating those systems on my DSi, then I might use my PSP or get a modern retro handheld such as a Retroid Pocket 2s or something similar.
Post automatically merged:

What a bummer, the DSi crashes when I run certain GB/GBC ROMs, and sometimes crashes when I quit the emulator. I will probably just use the DSi for DS games and get something like RG35XX H for older retro handhelds.

Last edited by darkworldq8,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol