Emulation Homebrew Emulator The DSi deserves a better SNES emulator

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People should stop expecting full accurate emulation from a 2009 device.
The accuracy of emulation has absolutely nothing to do with when the device the emulation is running on when made. The performance might, but not the accuracy. Note that I worked for the leading emulation software firm of the early-to-mid 90s and actually know what I'm talking about. In fact given enough time and Nintendo documentation (that may not be available), I could make an accurate SNES emulator that runs in a 1995 Power Macintosh. It would be FPS-challenged, but it would run and be accurate.

But I'm not for spending a lot of time working on a emulator for a minor platform like the DSi. The 3DS makes sense. It can run DSi games and do something no other handheld in history (or today) can do: 3D. The New 3DS XL, with its faster processor (that can actually run reasonable PS1 emulation, and unlock 60 FPS on 30 FPS 3DS games) is the ultimate handheld because of how many games of the past it can run natively, how many it can run in emulation, and how no other device on Earth can run its 3D games in 3D. To me that is where traditional Nintendo handheld emulation efforts should be made.

Reactions: DerpyWeeb

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The accuracy of emulation has absolutely nothing to do with when the device the emulation is running on when made. The performance might, but not the accuracy.

People will complain more about an emulator that runs at 1fps than one where only 75% of games run but they do run full speed.

Dre4mR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Finally made an account just to say I appreciate you having done so much research and that *I* understand what you were saying. I don't understand the people being weirdly negative over a perfectly reasonable point of inquiry, and am hoping that six months on from when you first posted, we are that much closer to getting a proper snes emulator on the DSi.

The incredible work done by people in this thread on projects like twilightmenu++ and others is really encouraging, and I think we will get there. Like you said, it won't be perfect or 100% of games, but from everything I understand about the topic and everything I've learned reading the op and replies, I really am hopeful that we could see serious movement, hopefully soon.

Buona fortuna con i tuoi studi e spero che la tua domanda aiuti a cambiare le cose! Ciao!
Thank you very much for the support.

It doesn’t seem like we are this close to getting a decent emulator. Only a few people are still interested in working for the DS(i), simply because there are better consoles to work on, like the 3DS. Many people think the 3DS is the ultimate handheld. I mean, I don’t blame them, but the 3DS already has a much more active and larger community, and it has already given us a lot. And I’m convinced that if they are so attached to gaining popularity with their projects, they would probably stand out a lot more in the DS(i) scene exactly because of these reasons.

After all, the DS(i) is still a good handheld, and it stands out for its simplicity and far more “retro” style.

Grazie per i tuoi auguri, buona Pasqua!
Post automatically merged:

People will complain more about an emulator that runs at 1fps than one where only 75% of games run but they do run full speed.
75% is a dream

darkworldq8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
The PSP which has better specs than the DSi and had an active community since the early days struggles to run SNES games without frameskips, and I have my doubt that the DSi can run Super Mario RPG even with the best developers. I believe even a regular 3DS struggles to play SNES games.

In all honesty, most of these developers are doing it for free, and making an emulator is an extremely hard work that will take hours of their day for many months or years, and they may never achieve what they set their mind out for. I understand why no one would want to work on it, especially since a modern cheap $40 and $35 handhelds can run SNES much better than a DSI could and without any struggles.

If you really are passionate about running SNES better on a DSi, you could always work on it yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto