Just got a DSi XL, Windows and Linux can't read SD card after installing hacks

GuyWithAWiiUQuestion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I recently picked up a DSi XL on eBay for a good price, and am looking forward to use it to play my GBA and DS games that I bought on the Wii U eShop.

However, I've encountered a bit of an issue. I followed the dsi . cfw . guide and used the Flipnote Lenny exploit, which worked with no issues. I dumped the NAND as well. I also copied over the "title" and "roms" directories from the "TWiLightMenu-DSi" folder, and I placed my DS and GBA ROMs in there. This works with no issue on my DSi, I can run and play the DS games and the GBA games. I also deleted the emulators I didn't need from "TWiLightMenu-DSi\_nds\TWiLightMenu\emulators".

However, I wanted to try adding a few NES and SNES games I bought as well, but my computers can no longer read the microSD card. I'm using a microSD-to-SD adapter and I have a USB stick with both types of slots in it, but when I try to plug it in now to make changes, it doesn't work. Windows states that "the file or directory is corrupted or unreadable," and once instead said something like "please insert the drive." When I plug it into my Linux laptop I get "Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at [*location*]: can't read superblock on /dev/sdc1". This happens when I use either slot on my USB reader, which worked just fine to set up the hacks earlier. But when I put the SD card back into the DSi, there aren't any issues.

I'm guessing this might have been caused by the initial set-up that nds-bootstrap did when I first started up one of my DS ROMs. Is there any way I could fix this without having to reformat the SD card and start all over?

Edit: Actually, I take it back, there are issues with the DSi as well. TWiLightMenu launches just fine, but when I try to play a game, I now just get two blank white screens, even when I try to play a game that I had already tested and that worked earlier.

Edit 2: I formatted the SD card and I'll start over. But does anyone know what might have went wrong so I don't get a repeat?

Edit 3: Ah, SNES games can't be played without Unlaunch. Pity. I just wanted to see how good or bad DKC 1 and 2 were with SNESDS.

This time I didn't delete the extra emulators in case that was what was went wrong.

Also, is it expected that with Flipnote Lenny, pressing the power button while playing a DS ROM takes me back to the regular DSi menu instead of TWiLightMenu? And is there a way to turn off wireless communications in TWiLightMenu?

Last edited by GuyWithAWiiUQuestion,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, is it expected that with Flipnote Lenny, pressing the power button while playing a DS ROM takes me back to the regular DSi menu instead of TWiLightMenu?
Yes, that's normal. To go back to TWLMenu++ when pressing the POWER button, you need to install Unlaunch, and have it autoboot TWLMenu++.
And is there a way to turn off wireless communications in TWiLightMenu?
Yes, there is. Open TWiLight Menu++ Settings, and turn off the "WiFi" setting. To open TWLMenu++ Settings, press the SELECT button, and then touch the small DS icon on the bottom of the bottom screen.

GuyWithAWiiUQuestion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's normal. To go back to TWLMenu++ when pressing the POWER button, you need to install Unlaunch, and have it autoboot TWLMenu++.

Yes, there is. Open TWiLight Menu++ Settings, and turn off the "WiFi" setting. To open TWLMenu++ Settings, press the SELECT button, and then touch the small DS icon on the bottom of the bottom screen.
Hey, it's the man himself! Thanks for the response, and for TWiLight menu!

That's good to know. I skipped installing Unlaunch in part to avoid the minor brick risk, and also because I like the system remaining unmodified. The exploit doesn't take long to run, so I'm okay with it.

Reactions: RocketRobz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto