Homebrew How to avoid SD card corruption when using TwilightMenu++ on DSi XL?

CrimsonRed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Background:
Recently my SD card got corrupted after using GBARunner2. When trying to load into TwilightMenu, I got the error message "fat init error". When plugging the SD card into my PC, I could see that the GBA rom folder was completely corrupted, with almost all file names and folders being renamed in caps, shortened and with typos. These files and folders were impossible to move or delete. After trying several fixes the SD card turned into RAW format. Running a verify scan using "DiskGenius" revealed that 50% of the sectors were "severe" and 22 were damaged. This was impossible to fix, so I have now bought a new card. Thankfully they are quite cheap. (Only 6 bucks!)

SD card:
A genuine PNY Elite 32 GB micro-SD card with a SD card adapter, formated as FAT32. It was bought from one of the leading electronics store chains in the Nordics (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland).

Console:
I'm playing on a DSi XL that I bought brand new. I have not installed CFW on it. I'm using the Flipnote Lenny exploit to launch into the TwilightMenu loaded on the SD card.

I don't really remember what I did, but is this likely to happen if you turn off the power while a game is loading or saving? How can I minimize the risk of corrupting the SD card in the future while playing GBA and DS games via TwilightMenu on the SD card?

darkworldq8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I am not sure why that happened. It could be an error from a certain app or the exploit, or it could be a faulty SD card/adapter. The issue might be from GBARunner2 with your exploit.

Personally, I have installed Unlaunch and Twilight on my DSi and have never experienced this issue. I believe that I am using Sandisk Ultra and Samsung micro SD cards with Samsung SD adapters. Unlaunch allows you to install CFW on a DSi and checking if the CFW exists before booting into it. If there is an issue with the CFW or SD card, Unlaunch launches into its own environment instead of bricking the DSi.

Weaky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely sounds like the card is on its death bed. PNY isn't the most well-known brand, usually people will recommend using SanDisk or Samsung.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.