OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

SUMMON NIGHT SWORDCRAFT STORY: STONE OF BEGINNINGS

P154Uic.jpg

A bit of story - Translation

As far as it goes, the translation had it's problems since the beginning: translators and hackers leaving with a half unfinished job were the most common.
ten years ish ago, the project was revived by oil_ who made a site the translation, which is no longer available (Don't worry, the translation has been saved by salixa). Now I'm currently taking care of it.
Earthdarkness then came to help us with the hacking part, though he has gone missing ever since the start of this year.

BUT NOW

Thanks to unknownbrackets help, we now have a script inserter that can handle every possible outcome!!!!

The current tools give us a lot of freedom that we never had. Now we can overcome the limitations placed in the system messages, we no longer have to rely on caveman speaking in the games to translate. Unknownbrackets reworked the whole system to give us a lot of space and an ASCII font, with support to characters from other languages like ñ, etc.

Current team + people that helped so far

Current team:

Pablitox - Team & Project leader (keeps track of info and the team). Currently, inserting system messages in the game. Translation of general terms of the game.
Ghanmi / MLagaff - General hacking & graphic helpful knowledge (literary, a lifesaver)
Zelly_9191 – Graphics (works on the graphics & sprites that contain text. Has limited or no hacking knowledge)
Normatt - ASM Hacking. Made the debug menu available.
Unknownbrackets - ASM Hacker and currently our lifesaver.
KishiAri,Cery, JaiFain ( graphics)

M.I.A (missing in action)

Englishsubs4all – Translator (Reachable from the gbamtemp forums, so not exactly M.I.A)
Aent - Hacking
Earthdarkness - Hacking
Salixa - proofreading
Felipe – translation and proofreading
Black – Hacking
Leaf – proofreading
gangrelion - Too Many Things
haruka_123 – Translating
Ritchburn - First Leader
TLZ - ?
X_Wings - ?
xswordcraftx - ?
Zynk - ?
Akiron - ?
Chronomoogle - ?

No longer working on the project:

Cyan - Proofreading
TheZu - Hacking

Honorary mention:

blackdog: Hacking advice
Macaronron / Cakepans - Translator of (almost) the entire script.
_oil - He made the subtitler, useful for proofreading.

Current issues

As you might know by now, we are able to fully insert the translated script

The one problem we have now is the state of the script, sadly because we had to work with limitations then, the script has some parts that do not reflect the context very well. Felipe and salixa went missing too, so we'd need a proofreader and a translator to help us with the missing bits of text. It could be better if they had some background knowledge of these games!

Btw, Zelly_9191 made some banners to spread all possible info about the project. Everyone is free to use it in their signature! Also, there's a DISCORD chat room where you can discuss things about the game etc, feel free to join! https://discordapp.com/invite/2FMCTs8

For people that are currently helping in the project:

wlVxME2.png

For people supporting the project:

zCzg12S.png

PROGRESS (as of 11/17/2021)

We are proud to announce a beta will be released with ALL THE TEXT TRANSLATED UP TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE GAME!!!!!!

Here goes!!! https://www.mediafire.com/file/k148lis2io8a7gv/Stone_Of_Beginnings_-_1.0_%28no_debug%29.ups/file

Full patch is coming in a later date! Please look forward to it!

UPDATE: changed to mediafire as the last link deleted, now it is compressed in .rar. Please, patch it using flips.

Last edited by Pablitox,

hero8397

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So is the script already inserted or just the graphic translation? Sorry I can't help though, at least I can bump the topic.

Pablitox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So is the script already inserted or just the graphic translation? Sorry I can't help though, at least I can bump the topic.

Jee, wonder if you did read everything. Anyway the answer is no, the script has not been inserted yet, as each line has evil limits which have to be surpassed somehow. Earthdarkness has a solution to it, which, I hope, can be extended to handle system messages, so they doesn't have to be butched too.

About the graphics part, I'm still looking for them, some appear to be compressed though.

Edit: finished a task I should have finished eons ago, Arrange the script in chronological order. Anyone who wants to proofread and TLC is welcome to do it (provided they have knowlegde of the SCS games, at least the second one).

I found an interesting fact about NPC, they are related to the place they go in, for example:

Code:
マニグ採掘場
Manig Mine
pablitox

マニグ採掘場 エリア1
Manig Mine Area 1
pablitox

さっきの女はなんかあやしい
That girl earlier was suspicious somehow.
cakepans

とにかく追いかけてみよう!
At any rate, I'll try going after her!
cakepans

さっきの子はなんかあやしいよ
That kid earlier was suspicious somehow.
cakepans

とにかく追いかけてみよう!
At any rate, I'll try going after her!
cakepans

さっきの女を追いかけて
I'll follow that girl from earlier
cakepans

召喚獣のこと聞き出してやる!
and get her to spill about the summon beast!
cakepans

さっきの子を追いかけて
I'll follow that kid from earlier
cakepans

召喚獣のこと聞き出してやるんだから!
and get her to spill about the summon beast!
cakepans

(GuardianBeast)との勝負が待ってるし
I have the match with (GuardianBeast) lined up
cakepans

遠くに行かない方がいいな
so it'd be better if I better if I don't go too far.
cakepans

(GuardianBeast)との勝負が待ってるし
I have the match with (GuardianBeast) lined up
cakepans

遠くに行かない方がいいよね
so it'd be better if I better if I don't go too far.
cakepans

ザックが穴に落ちたみたいだから
It looks like Zakk fell into the hole so
cakepans

見に行こう!
let's go check on him!
cakepans

As you can see, dialogue when you try to leave the place and certain flags are not set one (you can't leave without checking on Zakk, for example) NPC, are stored in the same place as the location where they happen (Manig Mine, for example).

Last edited by Pablitox,

Pablitox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks xscx! Progress has reached kind of a halt because I've been busy with uni stuff, but I'm looking forward to do something with the graphics, at least find them or something.

So far thanks to ghanmi's help, using crystaltile I managed to found some opcodes:

83 C4=type of weapon (sword,fist,axe,etc)
83 C5=rank of weapon (1 through 7)

which led me to this (I did it by modifying directly the rom in crystaltyle2, hope there's a way so the tool can do it automatically).
ecg8tGh.png

(Note the font though, It's a bit messy right now, if fitting the whole message is possible, then it shouldn't be a worry).

I'm also waiting for earthdarkness to get less busier so the tool's codification can start.

Cheers!

Last edited by Pablitox,

Ergotth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm, so far, is the story all translated =3?
(also, just found this forum, I LOVE YOU FOR MOVING ON WITH THIS GAME'S TRANSLATION! OMG, Summon Night, I can't imagine a more underrated jewel of GBA gaming, oh wait, I can, Boktai, another awesome, yet underrated GBA game...oh well, Japan needs better advertising xD)

Pablitox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To be exactly there are a few missing lines and the actual translation is very stiff due to the script order being messed up ( if it had been in the story order it would have been another thing, alas, that didn't happen). So, next thing to do once the script is inserted is call proofreaders and finish the job, as it will provide the much needed context.

on that note I love boktai series too, wish they have kept the stealth based mode.

TheTrueAnnoyance

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Uhm I am very sorry to ask that, but what kind of rom where you using while you created the patch?
The ones that are downloadable those days are 4370 - Summon Night X Tears crown (J) and they seem to be invalide with the patch itself. I tried more or less everything. (Re-Naming them, add ips on a copied version, re downloading the "clear" file several times, reloading the patcher, etc)

If this is not the thread to ask that kind of question in, then I am sorry about my question^^
Normally I would also most likely offer my direct support, but I am 99,99% sure that there is a higher chance I would rather ruin something then help with anything (especially since I don`t have any of the necessary knowledge xD Yep just the leecher to "cheer" on the sidelines^^)

But at least I can say: Keep going, I am pretty sure it won`t be long anymore xD

And thanks for.... well enduring this kind of community nowadays. (except for the helpful and polite members XD)
Pretty sure that`s really annoying to do those days^^ (----- Yeah I am surely no better if I wanna have something translated, I choose my name with a reason ;) -----)

And: Please stop hiding your threads... it was hard enough to track this down.... I had to go through I think 4-5 threads that claimed (1-2 yours) to translate this xD (I also made this account only to write this reply... yep trying to get some plus points... mwahaha shouldn`t have said that huh? XD)

Reactions: youme and Pablitox

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's called Hajimari no Ishi in Japanese: サモンナイト クラフトソード物語 〜はじまりの石〜
there is a higher chance I would rather ruin something then help with anything
Don't worry, you won't ruin anything. They have backups of everything :)

Last edited by flame1234,
Reactions: Pablitox

Pablitox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You seem to be mistaking, this one here's a GBA game (as flame said earlier), while Tears Crown (サモンナイトX ~ティアーズクラウン~) is a Nintendo DS game (which is also in progress). It's very easy to find really, just a quick google search will suffice (can't give any links!). :P Also, the patch is in .ups format, you'll have to use http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/519/ to patch the rom.

That being said, there's indeed a mess of threads :wacko:, but the project will be using only this one and the one in romhacking.net for new replies and news. Sorry the confusion!

I'll take advantage of this reply to report progress: It's not a big deal, but 99% of the system messages have been translated. This includes the forge menu (with descriptions for each ability you get when you rank up a weapon), level up messages, and extras menu (all options).

Here are some pics:
The descriptions of each partner were made by Ghanmi, I did the ok cancel message in Killfith and Rufeel. Hey, gotta start somewhere :P
i9F2866.png

7rAjjiF.png

y7507H0.png

pVGR5IN.png

MV81kAC.png

FoTejUT.png

FHsxsWO.png

Zvz4r30.png

D8TiAKd.png

T4KzUkj.png

3VE6R6J.png

iy0Ttt7.png
The process has been very good so far, but It's not without it's problems really, namely:
9Il5n6O.png

Char limitation (notice the Spec, there's plenty space for Special!) I'm not sure if the limit of each line could be changed too.
LP6hdoc.png

UltBst
mPrBUzf.png

Box being larger than text
gu9A9nR.png

Anyway, that is all about system messages. Next update should cover the text insertion issue that has been troubling the project since the beginning.

Don't worry, you won't ruin anything. They have backups of everything :)

Yup, a folder full of them, lol.

Last edited by Pablitox,

TheTrueAnnoyance

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well first of all thanks for the answer^^ Used the right patcher then after all... nobody can say I used the wrong patcher at least xD

..... And I should have read the title a little more carefully shouldn`t I? XD I blame myself for getting lost in all those summon night threads XD

It still looks quite nice =P (Who am I kidding... it looks awesome, if I think about the sheer amount of work it takes to translate this kind of games... especially without monetary motivation^^

Well then... good luck with the patch^^ Maybe I will stalk this thread once in a while for progress^^

Ergotth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
besides, GBA roms are apparently much easier to hack then DS roms. =)
also, great work with the translation,s looks straight up from an official release ^^ (and man, when people say Summon Night is one of the most visualy beautiful GBA games, I understand when I see pics of it)

Saturos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Heh-
Well done so far.
I tough that if you give up I should make an engine for such game.
Cuz I understand that ROM hacking is not for me. XD
I've been working on Fire Emblem engine and been hacking the ROM for ripping sprites.
Been busy myself so all I can do is wish is good luck for now.
Hang in there and wait till I'll be learning ASM. Cuz another language won't hurt and we need ASM Wizard here Right?

Pablitox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Long time no see saturos! How have you been? Busy I see lol, that's good.

Extending ritchburn's tools so that the script inserted is the starting step right now. Using dual tile encoding seems like a good idea as none of us have any asm knowledge. Earth is doing a hell of a job so you should thank them. After the script is inserted I will probably update the thread and start proofreading.

Reactions: XswordcraftX

Pablitox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What happened to the sntranslation site? I can't access it anymore.
I coudn't enter yesterday either, but it seems you can access normally now. It's not mine, btw. Anyway, I found the missing graphics location using lz77 restructor, very handy if you want to work with graphics and the like.

AscalonThe3rd

Trophies
XP
Country
Excuse me but, can you guys please post the download links of all the patches? Mine won't work unless an older patch is used beforehand (ex. used v3 then the next version). And, it seems I'm missing some patches. Anyway, I'm checking out the site where I might help. Thanks!

By the way, just finished SN 1 and 2 this week lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over