Nanashi no Game

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Sora de Eclaune, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    This is amazing. I never would have guessed this thread would spawn an actual translation! This makes me so excited I can only explain my excitement with this picture. [​IMG]

2. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Bravo! [​IMG] Great work all of you!

3. hunter291

hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2007
    Gambia, The
    I could test it on a scds2 if needed. i can't test for translation and stuff, but I can test if everything works. nice to see that there is some progress [​IMG]

4. ChrisTheEmpoleon

ChrisTheEmpoleon Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2010
    United States
    I'd love to be a tester as well. I have a DSTWO, but a friend of mine has an original R4 with Wood that I can use as well.

Good luck, you guys, I'd love to see this (as well as maybe its sequel) translated.

5. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    Let them finish the translation before you start asking to be a tester. I mean, some of the translators might even be testing the game as they go and the game might not even need testers for the carts you own.

6. hunter291

hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Yeah [​IMG] I was just offering. I meant to test it when it is finished [​IMG]

7. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    Yes, but at this state in the translating process it would be a lot better to wait until the translators/hackers ask for testers, since your offer might be lost in a page or two.

8. Goveynetcom

Goveynetcom Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2009
    United States
    Sunny California
    Great to see this is getting some serious work. Seems like a great team, and I can't wait to see what comes of this.
    Good luck everyone [​IMG].

9. choconado

choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. Nagato

Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    So I started working on the limited text problem a bit more. Turns out the cause of the problem is a hardware restriction, meaning that I will never be able to fix it unless I wanted to rewrite a good bit of stuff to avoid hitting the restriction. The limitation in particular is the OAM entry limit so there's only 128 possible objects at a time per screen. That can be confirmed to be the problem by checking out the OAM tab in the Vram viewer of no$gba. If there's anyone around who's had to deal with this problem in another game and was able to solve it I'd be interested in hearing how you did it.

Splitting the lines will probably be best done manually with warnings during assembly when a line is too big.

Meh.

11. Normmatt

Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

Dec 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    Only way to work around that is to say hardcode the maximum displayable sprites (those that makeup the box) then draw a vwf directly to oam. I can probably help with the vwf stuff but I really dislike working how where to modify the oam entries (atleast in the gba/nds games i've worked on they tend to be annoying to rework).

Is this limit for the 16x16 font?

12. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, it's the 16x16 font. What you are talking about sounds like a lot of work. I had an idea of something similar but in the font files instead. I could probably quickly generate up some dual tile glyphs for the novel mode font. It might not give as much space as doing it directly on the OAM but it'd be a lot less work. I looked at one screen's text that had some length problems and most blocks can only hold 2 characters, maybe 1-2 can do 3, and most can do 2 and maybe 1-2 pixels from the next character. My biggest concern with that method was the amount of space the table specifying the widths would be but I did the math and I think I should be able to find enough space for everything.

13. Ryusui

Ryusui Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    United States
    Out in the middle of a field!
    Talk to Tomato and company. Mother 3 used to have a hardcoded limit of 40 characters per dialogue box. They fixed that reeeeeal good. :3

EDIT: On a further note: take a look at BoF1 and 2 for GBA. Both games use the "sane" OAM approach; that is, sprite "canvases" rather than using a single sprite for each character.

At any rate, the "hard route" is probably well worth the extra effort.

14. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I ran into some difficulties so I don't think I will be able to implement it with my current skill level. [​IMG] I learned a bit more about the internals of the DS though so it was worth the try.

I encountered another problem with the text, this time on the left screen. The left (top) screen uses 3D instead of the OAM stuff to do the text. There's also a buffer overflow that occurs if there's 260 or more characters on the screen. At that point it starts overwriting the stack and you get some random offset which is then used to overwrite some system code. The offset used for the list is hardcoded in only a few places (search for 0x027E1AD0) and is placed directly after the arm9.bin in memory. Would be a pretty easy problem if this were Win32 but I don't know much about memory management for DS stuff yet.
    I don't think the left screen stuff will be too big of a problem since from what I can remember, I think only the prologue used the left screen for text more than a few lines and the prologue is pretty short.

I implemented the easy method in the meantime though. It's not perfect but it gives a lot more room now. It's pretty workable at the very least.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Normmatt, if you'd like to do something proper I'll add it into the patch.

15. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    Those screens being in English makes me want to pass out from excitement.

16. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Looks good, Nagato. Really promising!

Currently, I'm not at home so I don't have access to my wordtank, so I started translating the kanji-less RPG texts. For now, it doesn't seem like Nagato has to widen the box in which the text appears, as I've managed (with some difficulty) to fit everything within the limit of 18 characters per line. I estimated the amount by using this screenshot:
    [​IMG]

17. DarkShinigami

DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Soul Society
    what exactly is Nanashi no Game? i never heard of it it could be a game i'd be interested in when the translations done(no im not rushing)

18. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Have you seen the Japanese horror film 'Ringu/The Ring'? It's about the same, but with a video game instead of a video. That's the best description, I think.

19. DarkShinigami

DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Soul Society
    no i mean is it a VN or a point and click or what(what is the genre of the game)?

20. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    First-person point-and-click horror.