Doom for SNES full source code released by former Sculptured Software employees

disks (Custom).jpg

The complete source code for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) version of Doom has been released on archive.org. Although some of the code was partially released a few years ago, this is the first time the full source code has been made publicly available.

The complete set of disks, discovered by Jeff Hughes, a former employee of Sculptured Software contain all the necessary files to recreate the development environment that may have been used back in 1995. This includes the previously withheld third-party sound driver and cutter tool which were held back from previous releases. The disks were originally created using Amiga's HDBackup (BRU) and the files are designed for use on an Amiga system or WinUAE Amiga emulator.

It will be interesting to see what the community may achieve with this source code, perhaps the game can be further optimized beyond what was originally possible back in 1995.

:arrow: Source (archive.org)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope someone port it to be used with the SA-1 co-processor, that would increase performance tremendously since that is a 4 times faster processor compared to the snes built in, thats my guess atleast.

The SNES port used the Super FX 2 chip, although I don't know what the performance difference is between that and the SA-1.

That said, I wonder if a modern FPGA/emulator could potentially increase clock speeds, memory, etc.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The SNES port used the Super FX 2 chip, although I don't know what the performance difference is between that and the SA-1.

That said, I wonder if a modern FPGA/emulator could potentially increase clock speeds, memory, etc.
I think it would be more along the lines of how SA-1 hacks improves game performance.

I think it would be interesting to see a hack of SNES DOOM that uses the SA-1 along with the Super FX2, seeing as there's a hack of the game that has MSU-1 support, technically proving that a Super FX game can use two enhancement chips at once.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
im kinda amazed these disks still even work. i found some floppy disks a while back sitting in a desk and they all had read errors and were mostly unopenable.

Disk 3 did suffer from corruption and there are other factors to consider such as the quality of the media, storage, Filesystem, etc.

I have a 40MB HDD from over 30 years which only had 1 bad sector.

Modern windows is also **** for reading FDs, I think I lost a couple of disks to due how modern explorer handles them, instead I use my P3 and W98 now to dump any.

I think it would be more along the lines of how SA-1 hacks improves game performance.

I think it would be interesting to see a hack of SNES DOOM that uses the SA-1 along with the Super FX2, seeing as there's a hack of the game that has MSU-1 support, technically proving that a Super FX game can use two enhancement chips at once.

They specifically compared the SA-1 to the internal CPU, so I couldn't tell if they knew about the SFX2 being used.

Was this the version where they told the gal she has like 2 weeks to make this port by herself and it was amazing that she even got it done?

You're probably thinking of the 3DO port.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was this the version where they told the gal she has like 2 weeks to make this port by herself and it was amazing that she even got it done?
You're thinking of DOOM for the 3DO. Interesting back story discussion here:

She was effectively given a bunch of JPEGs and told to get the game running on 3DO. Incredible story and an even more incredible result from her given the circumstances.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HUNTERFOX @ HUNTERFOX: Uh nu I gtg ✌️