Nanashi no Game

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Sora de Eclaune, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    aww... so Nagato got burned out? well, at least looking at the progress screens, all this needs is somebody to pick up where he left off...

come on, Tempers. i know there are translators/hackers/teams out there who are at least interested in this title. please, pick this one up, even if just on the side.

2. Nagato

Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Mmm... it mostly needs a translator. Everything can pretty much be done right now (except for the mails, got curious about that last night and checked it out and they were in another format. Really simple though). The biggest problem is the limit on the novel-like sections but that can be worked around in an ugly fashion. I started playing the sequel and noticed they did away with those sections entirely so far up to the second day.

If Sora de Eclaune is serious about wanting to translate it, that should be enough motivation to work out the remaining stuff. The reason I got burned out before was because I was trying to translate bits of the story and got tripped up hard on the professor's infodumping bits. With someone else worrying about that it should be fine.

3. rayjay

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    I hope this thread doesn't die cuz this game is definitely one of the more interesting DS games out there.

4. MG4M3R

MG4M3R GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2007
    Brazil
    Quoted 4 Big Truth.

It would be so cool to have it and it's sequel translated =p

Damn, I know some assembly programmers, but they never worked on projects for DS, only Genesis (Sonic fanboys).

5. choconado

choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    bumping to keep hope alive.

Translator/s wanted! Please help!

6. qweasd123

qweasd123 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2011
    "translators" are busy translating dragon's balls, bleach and other crappy games

7. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    Well, I don't know Japanese and I have no experience with programming in any way. I'd be of no help to anyone.

8. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    Yup, because Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Butoden are crappy and way less popular than this.

Seriously, don't insult games you've probably never tried and don't insult them because you didn't get your way.

9. qweasd123

qweasd123 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2011
    I didn't say that AAI2 is crap.

But games based on herp-derp-fight-animes suck.

10. Paarish

Paarish Connor's Nublet

Aug 26, 2009
    Married to DinohScene
    probably cos majority of people like herp-derp-fight-animes [​IMG]

11. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    Have you ever played it?

12. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Ah, sorry. I thought you meant before that you looked at it and didn't understand the tools.

13. Goveynetcom

Goveynetcom Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2009
    United States
    Sunny California
    Well as long as the tools are done, I'm sure someone will come along and pick this up. Maybe I'll post something or rather on Romhacking.net to get the word out for a translator.

EDIT:
    http://www.romhacking.net/helpads/370/

ok, posted on their website [​IMG].

14. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    I didn't understand the tools. But I also don't understand programming or Japanese, making it an impossible feat for me to translate a game right now.

15. Ryusui

Ryusui Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    United States
    Out in the middle of a field!
    So what's this I hear about a fan translation effort for Nanashi no Game? I actually took a look at this sucker once and got stonewalled, but if someone's brewed up the tools needed to translate it...

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

16. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    I believe I've seen you around when I was lurking the romhacking.net boards. [​IMG] Good luck! Since a translator finally showed interest I quickly wrote some stuff for the mails:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I'll need to do some VWF work there but it should be done pretty soon hopefully. I'll do that after adding in \ns for mails.

17. Ryusui

Ryusui Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    United States
    Nice. If the game uses the standard NFTR format, it shouldn't be too tough to get VWF working - at the absolute worst, you'll have to change a fixed-width routine to actually load the width data from the NFTR.

I can also help a bit with the graphics. Admittedly, that's sort of what's got Death Note: The Kira Game running at a crawl (so many freaking graphics to translate!), but I'm pretty good with that kind of thing.

The fonts aren't an exact match, but check this out:

18. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    That would be too easy. [​IMG] The game stores all of its fonts (there's like a hundred+) as NCLR/NCGR/NCER sets. You can usually typically predict which ones those are. Then for some scenes (the novel modes come to mind) there's a second set of glyphs for the second screen, and those are headerless. If you are expecting them you can find them pretty easily based on size though.

It shouldn't take too long to find where in the code to hook at to do VWF for the mails now that I know what to expect after having done the novel section code.

Edit: Done with that bit. I'm guessing I'll probably have to do some work work for the stuff on the bottom of the screen though.

19. Scofflaw

Scofflaw Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    United States
    There's a translation already done on the LP Archive that might help ya guys out a bit. It seems kinda stiff, but it's always nice to see various approaches.

20. Ryusui

Ryusui Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    United States
    That'll sure help. I'm a decent translator, but I'm a better writer. [​IMG]

BTW, how's this for a start on the logo?