Nanashi no Game

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Sora de Eclaune, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ChrisTheEmpoleon

ChrisTheEmpoleon Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2010
    United States
    First, I just want to say thanks for attempting this. I wish I could help you guys out, but I don't know much about ROM Hacking, if anything its very little.

Second, I was looking through my installed fonts for a suggestion, and the only thing I could see working would be "Fixedsys Regular", but I don't know if its as big or as small as you need. Still, its just a suggestion.

Good luck with this, I'd love to see this working!

2. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    Are you serious? You're making it possible to translate Nanashi no Game? This is amazing!

On an off note, would this mean a translation of Nanashi no Game Me might also be more plausible?

Edit) Some suggestions for fonts:
    Calibri
    Candara
    Consolas
    Corbel
    Ebrima
    Kalinga
    Meiryo
    Raavi
    Vrinda

I'm leaning toward Corbel or Vrinda.

3. Nagato

Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, it will be possible to translate after I'm done. Right now the issue is with the font but I don't see that taking too much more time to work out. Here's a script that I completely disassembled and reassembled and made a custom font for. I need to find a way to make it variable width though so it's not as ugly.

[​IMG]

I didn't look too in depth into Nanashi no Game Me (I haven't even gotten a chance to play it yet [​IMG]) but from what I can tell it's the same engine but the files all have lzss compression. Not a big deal as long as they didn't change anything.

For the font, I had a discussion with a friend yesterday morning and I came up with this font for the RPG section: http://www.romhacking.net/fonts/12/
    The main game font is going to be Arial Unicode MS since it's pretty close to what the original was and it's not a bad font.

Edit: Oh yeah, I did the stats on the scripts too. The game is REALLY short.

Script breakdown:
    Non-RPG text: 1879 lines
    RPG text: 857 lines
    Total: 2736 lines
    About 55kb of text assuming SJIS.

I don't know if the mails got included there but those shouldn't be a few hundred at most.

Edit 2: The font problem has been worked out now and all I need to do is code it. I'll get that done sometime later today. The font will be variable width once I am finished.

4. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Great progress Nagato [​IMG] I really hope someone will translate it all eventually.

5. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Nothing too interesting in here for the people who just want a translation, sorry.

I pushed myself a bit too much and got burned out. A translation could probably be mostly completed with the stuff I made but not entirely without a little more hacking. Here's everything in case anyone wants to pick up where I left off and start a translation:

Read the readme since it explains a lot. Source code is also included but it's not very easy on the eyes.

Variable width fonts work:
    (1)[​IMG] (2)[​IMG]

And so does the font in the RPG mode:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The RPG and text like in image (2) should work decently well but the novel mode stuff like image (1) still has some problems which are detailed a little bit in the readme.
    I included a few of the translated .asm files that I don't think were trash so you should be able to get an idea of how things are supposed to work by looking at that.
    For the tools, run any of them in the command prompt without inputs to get a list of accepted arguments.

6. .Darky

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    It's beautiful...I hope someone decides to translate it.

7. rayjay

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Thanks a lot Nagato! You've been a great help! I really do hope someone does translate this.

8. jjjewel

jjjewel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2009
    United States
    Wow, Nagato, you're amazing. (For both Nanashi no game and sigma harmonics' hacks.) I think we really lack people who can do this kind of hacking here on GBATemp. (Like someone who can really works on Asm hacking and changes the text windows or make the fonts variable width and stuff. [​IMG]) Nice work. [​IMG]

I also hope someone will translate the game. It looks interesting.

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    NVM, misread that

10. choconado

choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Hell, I'd happily play a brute forced translation. That is to say, someone just running the text through Google translate and making sure the sentences make sense.

11. suruz

suruz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2007
    Hey considering most people said this game is 'near impossible' to hack and didn't really want to touch it, you're doing an amazing job... The fact that you made this much process is really promising :]

This game does look like one of the most unique games on DS, to be honest... It baffles me why the hell a company in the US didn't pick it up .___.

(Just to clarify, didn't mean anyone in particular.. From what I read on here, it just generally seemed like one of those 'unhackable' sort of games...)

12. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
  13. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    *Raises fist to the sky* NORTH AMERICAAAAAA! *Shakes fist in anger*

14. suruz

suruz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2007
    ...Americans. -______-

15. qweasd123

qweasd123 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2011
    lol ameriburgers

16. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    I was looking at all of the files in that download, but I just couldn't understand any of it. I would have translated it if I could have.

17. coolness

coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Banned
    Jun 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Rotterdam Bitches!!
    if someone while create the translation of nanashi no game 1 & 2 then i while donate 20 euro to that translator [​IMG]

18. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    Hey, don't look at me.

19. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    Me neither. I've only heard of this game this year, so it can't be my fault.

20. choconado

choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Sorry guys, it was me. But I was talking about in the RPG portion, not the other part.

[​IMG]