Nanashi no Game

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Sora de Eclaune, Jun 28, 2011.

Jun 28, 2011

Nanashi no Game by Sora de Eclaune at 8:15 AM (184,420 Views / 13 Likes) 867 replies

1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    [​IMG]

GAME TITLE: Nanashi no Game​
    GAME PUBLISHER: Square Enix​
    RELEASE DATE: 7/3/2008 (JP)​

As of page 4 of this thread (August 2nd), a full translation project has been going for Nanashi no Game. It's not my project, but I'll be updating this first post with any further information and anything released prior to this edit (7:47PM CST on 9/11/11), since the project is being discussed in this thread.​

Updates
    Screenshots
    Downloads
    Reporting Bugs

This is all possible thanks to:
    Nagato: Project leader, hacker, programmer.​
    summvs: Translator.​
    Ryusui: Proofreader, graphic designer.​
    G-Han: Additional translation work.​
    Sora de Eclaune, GhostCar: Playtesting​
    Great work, everyone!​

2. Valiarchon

Member Valiarchon trentacles

Australia
    You might want to check the posts on Sigma Harmonics. Pain in the arse for exactly the same reason. It requires a modification to the textboxes themselves amongst other things, which is something you need asm knowledge for - there are few enough people even capable of doing this, let alone willing.

If you have further questions, perhaps try PMing someone with a bit more experience in these matters.

I suggest this thread be closed since it's kinda pointless...

3. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    I thought I saw an english translation (I can't remember if it was official or a fan translation) of Sigma Harmonics somewhere...

4. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    If I recall, there isn't an actual patch of Sigma Harmonics, yet. There's guides all over the place, but that's all I've seen so far.
    I find it strange how people think romhacking is so easy. It's games like Nanashi no Game that proves otherwise.

5. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Most people think you just boot up a program and it displays all the text in ready-to-edit form.

6. Phoenix Goddess

United States
    Most people are wrong then.
    FAST didn't write the giant wall text of China for something as simply as booting up a program and "VOILA!" magic happens.

7. Valiarchon

Australia
    I'm working on one, perhaps it was that? [​IMG]

No official release though, that's for sure.

8. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    That may have been it. Can I have a link to whatever thread you may have made about it?

9. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    There is a complete Chinese translation of Sigma Harmonics though I'm not sure if they didn't have to convert the text at all since all they have to do is replace kanji/hiragana/katakana with Chinese characters.

10. Valiarchon

Australia
    A google translate of the chinese translation site - http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...953512517.shtml
    Yes, they only turned off compression, modified font and replaced japanese with chinese (including images).

11. StorMyu

Member StorMyu "I'm too old for this"

France
    They wanted to make the game laggy ? ^^

12. Nagato

Member Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    How far along are you on it? I haven't seen any recent updates. A few months back (around May or so) I started to learn ARM ASM so I hacked up Sigma Harmonics to support English text. I stopped after a while since I accomplished what I wanted.

[​IMG]

There were some engine limitations that would have been too much work to work out (in particular, each text box can only have a certain amount of text before it overflows in the engine and starts acting up). I also made tools to completely disassemble the Sigma000 scripts into an ASM-like language and a way to reassemble them. The text box is extended to support more text and the font is completely redone.

The game would still require some hacking for anything outside of the Sigma scripts, or any bugs that might show up, but if you want I can hand over the source for my stuff.

As for Nanashi no Game, I might take a look at it sometime since I enjoy the challenge of something that people say is "impossible" or "really hard". I finished playing it yesterday and enjoyed it enough that I started playing the sequel today so it'd worth the time to work on in my opinion. [​IMG]

Edit: I looked at it a little bit. The script files contain a lot of data (images and font glyphs and stuff) so it'd probably be a little bit of work required there.

Edit 2: The intro of the game can be found in mev_0000.tra. The font files are separate banks in an image found in files 9-11 in the .tra archive (the first file is a NCLR and the last is an NCER). The 12th file (starts with B5 B6 00 18) contains the text as relating to the font image.

The intro of the game says
    ????????????
    ??????

The font file has the glyphs in this order:
    00=?, 01=?, 02=?, 03=?, 04=?, 05=?, 06=?, 07=?, 08=?, 09=?, 0a=?, 0b=?, 0c=?, 0d=?, 0e=?, 0f=?

In the 12th file at BBh you can see the text: 00 00 00 00 01 00 02 00 03 00 04 00 05 00 06 00 07 00 05 00 08 00 09 00 FE FF FF FF 0A 00 0B 00 0C 00 0D 00 0E 00 0F 00
    Each index is a word in size. It's also possible to see the linebreak codes there.
    There's another file (15th) that seems to relate to the font. It contains the amount of glyphs and some other information? Not sure yet.

Edit 3: Still not really finished but I've been able to 1) change the text and 2) change the font files. It should be trivial after that to make a font file to use for all scripts then modify the scripts and use those indexes. I coded up a quick tool to create an NCGR file out of a BMP using the palette from the archive.

[​IMG]

I also made a quick tool that parsed the text section of the script and output an HTML file with the correct glyph images in place. I chose this method because it's much quicker to dump and split the font files than it is to make a table for each script (all of the scripts only contain the glyphs needed to display that particular script, so some have a couple hundred, some have less than a hundred, etc...). This shouldn't be a problem for anyone that actually knows Japanese but it'd be a little bit of a problem if you needed to look up a bunch of stuff in the dictionary.

The intro text dumped as an example of what you could expect:
    [​IMG]

Next up is to write a proper disassembler for the script files I guess.

Ziggy Zigzagoon likes this.
  13. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Looking good! I took a look at doing that sort of hack for sigma harmonics last week but decided it wasn't worth the time/effort. I'd be interested to see how your programs and asm mods work if you dont mind sharing the sources.

14. Valiarchon

Australia
    Sometimes I really love this community. The way random people drop in and suddenly announce that they've achieved stuff is really cool

15. Nagato

United States
    I'll send you the PM that I sent Normmatt, it includes all of the source. There are no readmes or anything so you'll need to poke around at the source. For the most part it should be straightforward (all of my programs have a dialog if you run them without parameters) so hopefully you can get them working.

There's a few things that still need to be done but most of the hard work has been done already I guess: the text box is rotated, wordwrapping is there, and the font is done. You can modify the scripts freely although it's a little bit of work required to do so. The text script assembler will warn you if a line goes over the limit and then it will split it off into a new section at the end so you can manually add it to the ASM scripts later.

I did try to add a shortcut to make it easier to add new text boxes, though. At the beginning of scripts with detected text in them, there will be a "@define TEXT #label_7c0" (#label being the function label for the text command). Then you can add new blocks like this:

Code:
    ÂÂÂÂPUSHDÂÂÂÂ00000001 //6
    ÂÂÂÂPUSHDÂÂÂÂ00000000 // 5
    ÂÂÂÂPUSHDÂÂÂÂffffffd4 // 4
    ÂÂÂÂPUSHDÂÂÂÂ0000000d // 3
    ÂÂÂÂPUSHDÂÂÂÂ00000001 // 2
    ÂÂÂÂPUSHDÂÂÂÂ0000000d // 1
    ÂÂÂÂCALLÂÂÂÂ#label_8c44 00 06// TEXT 0d
    ÂÂÂÂ
    ÂÂÂÂTEXT 3f 1
    The // TEXT 0d comment there says what line ID it is displaying from the text script file. The 06 part there is the amount of arguments there, I commented the args there but they aren't like that in the disassembly. The screen argument is #2 in that list there. The line ID is #1 there.

The pain in the ass part is argument #4. That must be changed (to ffffffd4) for the text box to work properly. Normally it would be 0000005d and it changes sometimes so that's something you'll just have to look out for.

16. qweasd123

Member qweasd123 GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Nanashi no Game and Sigma Harmonics are the most interesting not translated Japanese games. I don't know why people are translating shitty games like Bleach or Naruto, and are not trying to translate this.

17. Phoenix Goddess

United States

Simple. Because we translate what we're interested in and won't break our backs too much. If we translate something we find boring or out of our abilities, we won't finish them. Why would anyone want an unfinished game? Which is why we translate things suitable for everyone and within our abilities, while we enjoy them as well. I don't get why some people can't respect that, though.

Good luck, Nagato.

1 person likes this.
  18. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    whoa. wait what i don't even

REAL PROGRESS? finally. all it needs is some serious interest and motivation on the part of hackers/coders/translators and this should be off to a really nice start.

i've meddled around in the game without knowing what i'm doing, and i got around to the 8bit game part, and the in-game glitches were pretty interesting. it's like playing through some beta game, or reliving my PSX RPGmaker days of debugging/tweaking. I'm sort of into the japanese cursed stuff (the Honto ni Atta! Noroi no Bideo being one of my latest fads), and this is definitely giving off the same vibes.

19. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    This is about as exciting as translations get for me. I've been hoping for work on this since I first learned of the game. The fact that real progress on how to make the translations tells me that it's only a matter of time before playable points begin!

20. Nagato

United States
    I wouldn't get too excited yet, guys. A translator still needs to come pick it up. It's just available to be translated now since the hard stuff is done.

Anyway, I've got most of the disassemble done so far unless some unexpected bugs pop up. It was kind of a bitch tracking down the bytecode table in the ARM code because I lack the normal tools I'm familiar with. [​IMG]

My disassembler has two modes available so the translator can decide what he likes best. The first mode accepts a .txt file with a table for the text, the other will accept an NCLR/NCGR and will parse and split the file into separate BMPs and output an HTML file with the text in a readable format.

The formats used are pretty simple but I'll write up a doc once I'm finished as well as post the code.

Edit: Update. I've finished (mostly) my disassembler tool. It properly splits and rotates the fonts as needed and I also finally implemented the character table. It's still a bit of work in progress but I have most of the opcodes implement I believe. I will disassemble all of the scripts I can find and see what's missing later. Here's a sample disassembly (RPG scene). I made a (kinda shitty) table for this file. None of the characters with the dakuten show up properly in the font image so I kinda guessed which set should have the dakutens.

I don't think much, if any, ASM hacking is required for this game. I think the biggest problem is probably making the new fonts. There needs to be 2 sets: 1 16x16 for the normal text and 1 8x8 for the RPG. Arial seems to come pretty close to the 16x16 set so I'll probably use that font for that set. I'm not sure of what RPG-like fonts for the 8x8 set though.

Here's an example of the RPG part. Maybe someone has a good idea for the font.

[​IMG]