Nanashi no Game

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Sora de Eclaune, Jun 28, 2011.

1. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    I'm also interested in translating this. Primarily because I recently graduated on Japan Studies and I want to maintain my knowledge of Japanese somehow. I'll take a look at your work, Nagato.

2. Nagato

Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Looks pretty good.

Here are the updated tools that include the mail things. the mail.tra file contains the mail index file (mail_0015.bin). The scripts which contain the actual mails can be found in the tags in the mail_0015.bin disassembly. The 0003 file (mev_3060_0003.bin, etc) contain the actual mail script that you would need to modify. The font file for the mail index stuff is included but not the source files for it. Since that particular font file was in horizontal obj mode (compared to everything else which was just regular tiles) I decided it would just be faster to import the glyphs using CT2. The disassembled mail index script + font images are in the example scripts folder, just use those to translate that script. Do not modify the tag.

This also includes an updated .asm patch to use for both types of mail text. I also recompiled everything to make sure they were up to date since I think last time I might have had an out of date binary included but the source was up to date.

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    There are a few limitations here that I can't really hack around. First, you're restricted to 9 lines of text for each mail. From what I can tell it doesn't seem to allow scrolling so there's not much that can be done about that. The second is the length of the fields of the email on both the top and bottom screen. The fields are really restricted so everything will probably need to be abbreviated or something there.

\n is usable in the parts of the emails only. I've disabled it in the other tags (, , and ) since they're not really useful there. For the mail index stuff, you're restricted to 15 characters max even though you probably won't get to use that much without stuff overlapping. There's a fixed limit of 0x20 bytes per entry and every letter is 2 bytes plus it requires a 2 byte terminator (0xffff).

I didn't add wordwrapping code to the mail parts but I can if requested. Considering how restrictive it is it might just be better to do it manually and get the most of it.

I think that still leaves the name entry input stuff. The names act a little weird when displayed in-game with the English text. I still need to look into that sometime. Worst case scenario is the names would need to be hardcoded into the scripts but that would require everything to break beyond repair which is probably unlikely.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?shksq3nlp9j3iqb

Just want to put this out there: I'm not interested in leading a project right now so I'd like someone else to handle that stuff (preferably a translator since they'll be working on it for longer).

3. Ryusui

Ryusui Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    United States
    Out in the middle of a field!
    Thanks for the tools, but color me a bit confused. What exactly is the workflow here? Is there like a batch file or something I can click and it'll compile everything?

4. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Ah, thought I was the only one confused. I have no experience with hacking and although I've been browsing through Nagato's impressive tools, I've got no clue where to start.

5. summvs

summvs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    London
    I just joined the forum in order to reply to this thread, but I'm quite interested. I'm an experienced Japanese translator who's done a horror game before.

6. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Sorry for it being confusing. Nothing is really standardized throughout all of the archives and there's no 100% way to identify everything since the scripts and half of the fonts lack headers at all. I'll see if I can get a batch together but here's the required information you would need to do it without a bat.

For the mev_0000.tra and mev_*010.tra files: You must copy the new fonts in for English text (everything in "font files\reg"). Not every set will have a second font. If it does have a second font, the size of the 0013 bin will be roughly the same as the 0009 bin and have a noticeable pattern with 0xffff repeating every 0x16 bytes.
    The script file is typically the 0011 bin (mev_0000_0011.bin, etc) from what I've seen. I can't think of any cases where it wasn't but I won't rule the possibility of it not being 0011 out. Use the scriptdis/scriptasm tools.

The a**f**mev.tra files are the same as the mev stuff listed above but as far as I know they don't use a second font set.

The rs_*_*.tra files are the same as the above two. I don't think a second set of fonts is used here either.

The map_*_*.tra files require the fonts from "font files\rpg". The script file is typically the 0051 bin. Use the scriptdis/scriptasm tools.

mail.tra requires the fonts from "font files\mailidx". Script file is the 0003 bin. Use the mailidxdis/mailidxasm tools.

mev_**x*.tra files where the x is not 1 (or 0 in the case of mev_0000) require the fonts from "font files\mail". Script file is also the 0003 bin. Use the maildis/mailasm tools.

What files have what:
    mev_0000.tra is the prologue.
    mev_*010.tra are the novel mode story line parts.
    mev_**x*.tra where x is not 1 (or 0 in the case of mev_0000) are the mails.
    mail.tra is the mail index that shows on the bottom screen when reading mails.
    map_*_*.tra are the RPG parts.
    a**f**mev.tra and rs_*_*.tra are the parts during the 3D part of the game.

Edit: With 3 potential translators now, my urge to help manage it at least is kicking in. Have you guys ever used an SVN before? It would help with management a great deal. I can set one up pretty easily if there's some interest. 3 translators plus that LP translation plus whatever I can do (I'm not comfortable doing the main story but I can easily do random interaction translations), the translation itself (not testing) could probably be done within a month or so if work actually gets done.

7. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Sounds good. No, I haven't used a SVN before.

8. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Okay, I have it created now and I'm uploading the scripts as I type this. It'll probably take a while and I'll have to leave out the font images since it would take way too long to upload all of that as separate images. There'll be an archive available that you can extract to get the images instead of disassembling everything.

@Ryusui, summvs, and G-Han: Sign up for an account on http://www.assembla.com/ and either leave your username here or send it to me in a PM and I'll add you to the project.

If you don't know how to use SVN, download TortoiseSVN and I'll PM you with the instructions on how to check out the SVN repository later.

9. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    I'll check it out. [​IMG] Registered myself as G-Han on Assembla.

10. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Sent an invite. You can accept it if you go to your start page. You can browse the repository from the website but you'll need to use the software to modify things.

Everything below is important for the people who don't know how to use SVN:
    Once TortoiseSVN is installed, right click anywhere you can make a folder at then go to the click the "SVN Checkout" option. On the Assembla project page at the top will be an "svn URL". Just copy that URL into the checkout prompt and it'll start downloading everything. It might be a little slow so give it some time.

When you edit a file that is being versioned, the green check icon will turn into a red ! icon meaning that the file is different between the last known version on the server and the local version. Make sure you commit your edits when you are finished working on it (either for a wihle or completely).

If you leave an uncommited version sitting around for too long you run the risk of running into a commit conflict. Those are nasty and you do not want them to happen because you can lose your work. Thankfully, it is easy to avoid a commit conflict by following these rules:
    1) Always update your SVN before beginning work.
    2) Always commit when you are ready to upload your work. This does not mean when you are completely finished, it just means when you are done working on it for that session.
    3) Make sure you communicate with everyone what you are working on currently so no one tries working on the same file.

SVN updating is pulling the changes from the server into your local copy.
    To update the SVN, right click in the SVN folder and you should see the option "SVN Update".

SVN commiting is putting the changes from your local copy onto the server.
    To update the SVN, right click in the SVN folder and you should see the option "SVN Commit".

You can view a log of what files have been changed, what the changes were, when they were made, and who they were commited by by using the SVN log. The log can be found by right clicking in the SVN folder, going to the TortoiseSVN sub-menu, and clicking "Show log" at the very top. The web interface on Assembla also works nicely for checking out the latest changesets.

11. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the clear explanation. I have set up SVN and extracted the files as instructed in the Readme-file.

12. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    You're ready to go then. I'll put up some instructions in the readme on how to make a patch to test in-game later.

Check out the readme from the tools I posted earlier in this thread and also the example scripts to see how it should look with a translation inserted.

13. demitrius

demitrius GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2008
    United States
    I'm glad there's interest generating, I would hate to see all this work go to nothing.

14. qweasd123

qweasd123 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2011
    I hope that translation will succeed
    but looking at number of dropped translations...

Anyway, good luck! I really want to play Nanashi no Game.

15. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    You and a lot of people. It's a nice game, from what I can tell.

16. Ryusui

Ryusui Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    United States
    Out in the middle of a field!
    I've just signed up for my Assembla account as "Ryusui."

17. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    So the team's complete then? Good!

Yesterday, Nagato gave me additional information regarding the process, as - like I'm said - I'm new to this. So I started just now, with mev_1010 (that's the first part in the game, apparantly).

Finished translating it. Hopefully it fits on the screen of the DS, because the translation takes up way more space than the original text.

18. summvs

summvs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2011
    London
    I've set up the SVN but have yet to sort out the fonts. I will be able to translate after day job hours (9-6 GMT), social life permitting [​IMG]

19. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    I commited everything that's needed to fix the name input stuff. Also I just realized I never disabled email notifications so sorry everyone for the commit emails. [​IMG] It's turned off now.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

I think that leaves 1 more major thing which is the one that gave me problems last time.

I looked it over and noticed you dropped all of the s. If that was on purpose I'll revert it but I put them back in. A blank line line "#label_0034: TEXT > // Line 0002 @ 0000031c" won't have any effect so I commented those out just to make the assembled script size smaller. Maybe it'd be worth it to just drop dead text commands in the assembler. I'll get around to that later possibly.

Don't worry about the space taking up too much screen space right now since I'm going to try tackling that problem again next.

20. G-Han

G-Han Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    The name input system looks wonderful!

Yes, I dropped all the s because I wasn't too sure whether and if so, where I needed to add them. I will follow your revision as I continue. Glad to hear that we are not limited by the screen size.

Edit:
    Done for the day. Translated more than 150 lines of the novel text.