1. summvs

summvs Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Ahhh I feel like I saw you say that right at the start then totally forgot…! I can take another pass over and expand anything that needs it. Thanks for the reminder! I guess I’m much too ingrained in typical Japanese game development with immovable restrictions.

2. Nagato

Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Unrelated, but I'm just now getting your username/avatar. I bought Revep on a whim on iTunes a few years back when I had a few bucks left on an iTunes gift card. Then I downloaded some of the other CDs after that. Didn't realize a new CD came out though.

Back on topic: I've set up an SVN for Nanashi no Game Me. It's empty right now so I'll invite you when things start going on it. It looks like there's a lot more scripts this time around. Almost 400. The msg set, which makes up 268 of the scripts, are tiny scripts similar to the a*f set from Nanashi no Game.

If you're up for more after Nanashi no Game you can probably get a good chunk of Nanashi no Game Me done while the testing work is going on for Nanashi no Game.

3. Shinintendo

Shinintendo GBAtemp Fan

Iceland
    Can you open a wiki for this project and post the Japanese script online in sentence order, I think people will want to help in translation (if you need help to)
    mmm when I think about it now the main problem with this game is the hacking and font no?

4. choconado

choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    the speed you guys are working at is amazing. I sit with baited breath.

5. summvs

summvs Advanced Member
    Newcomer

I saw Ryuichi Sakamoto with Alva Noto the other month live in what is usually a nightclub but was used as a concert venue - it was amazing!

I’m almost finished re-expanding the map text files. It’s almost fun to take the shortened text and flesh it out again. ^^

6. summvs

summvs Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Thanks for the suggestion, but it’s not necessary, as the translation well in hand at this stage. Too many cooks would spoil the broth.

Also, compiling a Wiki of the Japanese script in story order out of these files would be a very thankless task. That time would be better spent continuing with the translation and editing!

7. Sora de Eclaune

OP Sora de Eclaune Target... Illumiati... All conected...

United States
    A few friends of mine say they found this topic and are waiting for the translation also. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I may have heard one of those friends mention brown pants. That's how much they were surprised when they saw the game was getting a translation, I guess. Pretty silly, if you ask me.

But it's surprising. Compare this to another translation, or even try to imagine if this game was being translated by other people; most wouldn't have been able to boast more than 10% being translated in the time it took to see that 80% figure in one of the replies in this thread. The rate at which this game is being translated is faster than I would have ever thought.

8. Ryusui

Ryusui Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Before you release anything, would there be any objection to letting me look over the script once the translation hits 100%? I know I haven't been as helpful as I could have been - these past couple of weeks have been hectic and I haven't been able to devote any time to the project - but I do know a few things about writing dialogue. If nothing else, I could proofread/copyedit what we've got down before release...

9. jjjewel

jjjewel GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Wow, so you guys are planning to work on Nanashi no Game Me, too. This is wonderful. Thank you so much. [​IMG]

10. Sora de Eclaune

United States
    I think having a lot of proofreaders is a good idea, but I know I'll still be proofreading everything in the released patch. I'm a bit anal about grammar/spelling in the games I play.

11. Nagato

United States
    If you have the time you could probably start now. The 100% mark will most likely be hit in a few days. Almost everything still needs an editing pass, so I don't see a problem with you joining in for that. We need some guidelines set before we do all of that. summvs will probably also look over stuff but another pair of eyes doesn't hurt.

Things that need to be done for editing:
    British English vs American English - summvs's country flag says he's from the UK, and I've noticed he spells things in his posts the British English way, so deciding and standardizing this is pretty important.
    Terms - Because of the speed the translation went at, most of the terms weren't finalized but are now. These should be pretty easy to spot and everything you could think of can be found in the lexicon that summvs made (see the tabs at the bottom of the script chart google doc listed in the readme on the SVN).
    Localization issues - I think like 1 or 2 scripts used honorifics so those need to be removed.

12. Ryusui

Ryusui Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    And removed they shall be. With extreme prejudice.

EDIT: Quick question: how can I get the original Japanese scripts, just so I can compare/check for minor errors and whatnot?

13. Shinintendo

Shinintendo GBAtemp Fan

Iceland
    wow in a few days o.o amazingly fast!
    Do you plan to continue to translate other games afterwards?
    Can I suggest sigma harmonics as it's on the same level of difficulty >.

14. Nagato

United States

15. deathking

deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    got to say thank you guys for doing this
    the game with no name was one of the best concept ds games i have ever seen but square enix bailed on it

16. summvs

summvs Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Thanks to those who have offered to proofread. As the translation is currently something of a labour of love for me (I’m off work for a while now and should probably be relaxing, but have been spending a lot of time on this), I’d like to ask to retain creative control over changes to my translated text.

Of course, I’m not about to refuse to correct spelling and grammar mistakes and genuine translation errors. I’ve just had bad experiences (within the translation industry, as well as in fan works) with workflows where the translated text is handed over to an editor who can do what they wish with it without the original translator having the final say. In my experience, this approach is fine when the translation is to be quick and dirty, perhaps by a technical translator who will output the literal meaning into English, and then a non-Japanese-speaking writer is going to adapt it. As someone who, without wanting to aggrandise myself, has a lot of experience and what has been appraised as skill in Japanese translation, I don’t think my script is going to require this kind of adaptation.

That said, input is definitely welcome and I’m looking forward to working on giving my text that extra layer of polish. I just really don’t want to see a ROM of a butchered version of my text as the outcome of all this hard work.

(Edited just after posting to fix an autocorrect error)

17. choconado

choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    so, is it too soon to ask how much longer til the translation is done? because you guys are smoking fast!

18. Sora de Eclaune

United States
    I believe the right time to ask was ten pages ago, but it's probably appropriate to ask now.

19. summvs

summvs Advanced Member
    Newcomer

As of last night, the files are 100% translated. Now begins the checking and editing.

There is also some text in the game that isn't in the files but that will need to be translated somehow. Nagato, I'm thinking first and foremost about the diary pages the player sees. Do you have any ideas on how to present a translation of those to the player? Redrawing them seems difficult given the limited resolution and space.

20. Nagato

United States
    I'll have to play around with it when I get there in the emulator. I might just be able to pop up a text box on top of it depending on how it's done.

As for the checking status, check the changelog since I had to make some changes mostly in mev_1010. Riko's little bio also needs to be shortened to fit in the 3 line box. I've checked everything up to the end of the first day and it's looking pretty good in-game except for the mail stuff. Biggest problem I see is that I need to fix the name display on the boxes (displays at fixed width instead of variable).

Having all of your save states break when you change a script really sucks. [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nanashi,