Is it worth updating to Windows 11?

nintendo_leaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I have a laptop which came with and currently runs Windows 10. I'm tempted to upgrade but am afraid it might break something. The Lenovo software on it lets me limit how much my battery charges, extending the lifespan of the lithium battery. When I looked at installing different GPU drivers the website said that because I'm using a laptop I should stick to the drivers it shipped with and I'm afraid the upgrade may break one.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should just try a fresh install a new ssd. Swaping a hard drive is really easy and you'll still have good ol windows 10 if anything goes wrong .

ALternatively you can use tools in medicat to do about anything you need in terms of backup, etc.

Reactions: BigOnYa

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
If you're willing to install Rectify11 on there, then go on ahead. Other than that, it's completely up to you.

something I'd like to ask the haters though, why is it bad? I had 7, 10, and even a bit of XP and 8.1 and I have experienced little issues with 11.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.😉

Is your Laptop capable of TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot ? The Latest Build 23H2 makes is a little "harder" to outwit the Windows Installation or make an Inplace Upgrade.😢

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 extended support ends in two years, October 14, 2025, which it is no longer getting newer feature update, last major feature update was 22H2. Windows 11 has it own problem, it is laggy on W11 22H2, unless you update you 23H2.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will try to stay with Win 10 pro, past the 2024[?] changeover deadline. Hopefully, my PC and Laptop will survive the changeover. :mellow: I have the "Uncompatible" type for Win 11 as it says :sad:

Rejection.JPG

PC ovrview.JPG

But then again, maybe I would be dead by then to even care :mellow:

Last edited by AncientBoi,

megaotis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I became disappointed in windows products after windows 7. They really decided to ramp up the telemetry. I changed to Linux and have not regretted it but if one of my family or friends just have to have windows I make sure to disable as much telemetry as possible.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In terms of breaking things, things are a lot safer than ever. I've updated a good handful of different Lenovo branded laptops, and only ever had one issue months after updating (one driver update messing with audio). Lenovo vantage just works flawless, though. I've not tested the backup potential specifically, but in other instances just resorting also works.

So on that field there's no issue. I do, however, agree complete with this:
Don't. Windows 11 is an unbearable mess designed to hinder navigation.

Windows 10 already had some inconsistent UI parts that were leftovers from before. With windows 11, that inconsistency has become the norm. To the point where I go 'damn... A blue/white windrow... Better poke around until i got me a windows that let me actually do stuff'.

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 11 is good enough to use as a daily driver. WSL2 is outstanding. They are definitely still mid journey on migrating all "elder options" to the same consistent UI so it is a mess settings wise. If you are going to get irritated becaise you habe to relearn how to do some things, its going to be rough for sure. I dont have any hesitation about recommending it to win7 and win10 users.

Trophies
XP
I became disappointed in windows products after windows 7. They really decided to ramp up the telemetry. I changed to Linux and have not regretted it but if one of my family or friends just have to have windows I make sure to disable as much telemetry as possible.
Hey, real quick...

During Windows 11's installer, for the language, if you select English (World), no bloatware like the phone link app or so will be preinstalled.
I might be right or wrong, I found it out like 2 days ago.

AncientBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am now thinking about the security features Not being able to update on my Win 10 pro After 2025, that I might Still have to At the very least, change/install to Win 11 [somehow] onto my
Rejection.JPG
PC and Laptop.

• Wow
Reactions: eternal

AncientBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ExplorerPatcher makes it feel like you're still on win 10 (I upgraded to win 11 for reasons, and barely noticed anything different after getting that and changing some settings in it)

:unsure: Good to know. :)

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a laptop which came with and currently runs Windows 10. I'm tempted to upgrade but am afraid it might break something. The Lenovo software on it lets me limit how much my battery charges, extending the lifespan of the lithium battery. When I looked at installing different GPU drivers the website said that because I'm using a laptop I should stick to the drivers it shipped with and I'm afraid the upgrade may break one.
I mean I already don't like Windows but 11 just seems like a worse version of 10. New skin that runs worse basically.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's definitely reasons for and against updating. I personally like W11 a lot just for the out of box window options. The triple columned windows are really great on UW monitors. I'm sure there's ways to do it on older versions, but is it something I really appreciate.

This is what I mean if I'm explaining it poorly:

1700508232040.png

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
something I'd like to ask the haters though, why is it bad? I had 7, 10, and even a bit of XP and 8.1 and I have experienced little issues with 11.
Two things, two seemingly small things make Windows 11 unbearable to me :
- you can't ungroup icons in the taskbar :blink:
- you need to click twice in order to show the full right click options :wacko:

Why, seriously ? Why change stuff to make ergonomy objectively worse ? This idiocy is beyond me.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States

Why, seriously ? Why change stuff to make ergonomy objectively worse ? This idiocy is beyond me.

Ungrouping icons in the tasbar is something that I question why they took out. it was useful back in the older versions, and the second can be fixed with Rectify11, a modificdation to Win11 that makes the experience much more bearable.

Reactions: Ligeia

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Unbearable, when they're both easily remedied with no 3rd party apps? See below.

Ungrouping icons in the tasbar is something that I question why they took out. it was useful back in the older versions, and the second can be fixed with Rectify11, a modificdation to Win11 that makes the experience much more bearable.

Grouping/ungrouping taskbar icons is a built in option in Win11 that can be changed in the taskbar settings. The full right-click menu can be enabled by running cmd prompt as admin and entering the following then rebooting: reg add “HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32” /f /ve

Or.... Shift + Right Click

Last edited by RedColoredStars,
Reactions: Ligeia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto