Does anyone still use Windows 7 as their daily OS?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 7 was discontinued in 2015 for Commercial users and 2020 for Enterprise users so it's not been that long since it was discarded, and I've been thinking about using it as I miss Windows 7 as it was such an incredible OS.

So, it makes me wonder about how safe it'd be to use in 2024? Even with an AV installed would it be unsafe?

Windows 7 truly was the great Windows OS and we may never see M$ Make Windows Great Again. :P

Reactions: console

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 7 was discontinued in 2015 for Commercial users and 2020 for Enterprise users so it's not been that long since it was discarded, and I've been thinking about using it as I miss Windows 7 as it was such an incredible OS.

So, it makes me wonder about how safe it'd be to use in 2024? Even with an AV installed would it be unsafe?

Windows 7 truly was the great Windows OS and we may never see M$ Make Windows Great Again. :P
yep, windows 7 and xp for me screw windows 11 im happy with my os and nothing will change that.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Theoretically(!) Windows 7 is not much behind Windows 10 with security updates.

If I remember correctly the (paid) extra support reached the end now (beginning of 2024) -- might be wrong. Wrong: ESU (Extended Security Updates should still be in effect) No idea how to get these updates. It was easy to get XP extended updates by setting the registry entry for POS Ready, but I believe it requires some special product key to get latest Windows 7 updates.

D*mn. I even forgot the name of this --see above-- (but it is mentioned on legacyupdate as "will currently not include this, as it would be like cracking Windows").

Most exposed is the browser. If that has security holes this has the most impact. Days of automated worms like Sasser are (hopefully) over... Fun times. PCs directly on the internet, no router (which means no firewall, no NAT).

Often enough even mentioning the wish to use an old OS gets the person who asked tared and feathered.
I would not use an outdated Windows OS as main computer and mostly keep them offline (very rare to connect my XP or 7). But the older Windows versions allow things newer don't (or make complicated), so there is no way around them anyway.

The question is if you accept certain risks and what protection is in place for the newer devices.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If I remember correctly the (paid) extra support reached the end now (beginning of 2024) -- might be wrong. No idea how to get these updates. It was easy to get XP setting the registry entry for POS Ready extending updates, but I believe it require some special product key to get latest Windows 7 updates.

D*mn. I even forgot the name of this (but it was mentioned on legacyupdate as "will currently not include this, as it would be like cracking Windows").

Most exposed is the browser. If that has security holes this has the most impact. Days of automated worms like Sasser are (hopefully) over... Fun times. PCs directly on the internet, no router (which means no firewall, no NAT).

Often enough even mentioning the wish to use an old OS gets the person who asked tared and feathered.
I would not use an outdated Windows OS as main computer and mostly keep them offline (very rare to connect my XP or 7). But the older Windows versions allow things newer don't (or make complicated), so there is no way around them anyway.

The question is if you accept certain risks and what protection is in place for the newer devices.
im a hacker and thanks for the warning

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

If I remember correctly the (paid) extra support reached the end now (beginning of 2024) -- might be wrong. Wrong: ESU (Extended Security Updates should still be in effect) No idea how to get these updates. It was easy to get XP extended updates by setting the registry entry for POS Ready, but I believe it requires some special product key to get latest Windows 7 updates.

D*mn. I even forgot the name of this --see above-- (but it is mentioned on legacyupdate as "will currently not include this, as it would be like cracking Windows").

Extended security updates only lasts for 3 years, looks like it ended in January of last year. Unless the Microsoft page I was looking at does not have up to date information.

Edit: Does appear it ended on January 2023.

Quite a lot can happen in a year, security wise. I sure hope nobody is still running Windows 7 on any PC they care about or connected to their network. That's just an invitation to hackers and malware. Better off biting the bullet and switching to Linux if they really hate Windows 10 that much.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Imo WIn11 is better in almost every way than Win 7. Just to name a handful of reasons why I personally feel that way.

DX12
Security Updates
Justified Layout
Windows Sandbox
Updated Apps
Better Handling of Foreground & Background Processes
Widgets
HDR

If looks are something preventing a person from updating, Win 11 can easily be made to look near identical to Win 7 so I personally don't see a point in staying on 7 when updating offers better security and features all around.

Reactions: kineticUk

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Edit: Does appear it ended on January 2023.
Yeah, I looked it up the wrong way. October 2024 is for the embedded/POS stuff.

However, the seemingly religious zeal that can be seen when people shout: "WHY?? IT IS UNSAFE!! BETTER USE […] INSTEAD!" goes too far in my opinion.
Not that hard to provide a separated environment for outdated stuff and have fun with it. :) Most of my computers can't go beyond XP and better stay on Windows 98SE. Feels like Windows 7 was released yesterday.

Admittedly for legal reasons alone I would not do anything important on such systems (involving personal identity or banking/money/shopping). That rules out the title of this thread: Windows 7 as daily (or main) OS.

The number of incidents (security breaches) on my end from usage of outdated Windows is… zero. Old Windows won't magically infect by just being connected to a router. I tried it. I *wanted* to see that and it didn't work.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imo WIn11 is better in almost every way than Win 7. Just to name a handful of reasons why I personally feel that way.

DX12
Security Updates
Justified Layout
Windows Sandbox
Updated Apps
Better Handling of Foreground & Background Processes
Widgets
HDR

If looks are something preventing a person from updating, Win 11 can easily be made to look near identical to Win 7 so I personally don't see a point in staying on 7 when updating offers better security and features all around.
I tried Windows 11 last year and even with the Windows Store disabled (set to English International or something) it was still far from ideal, plus they turned the Start Menu programs into something I'd see on Android/iOS UI which I'm not really a fan of, and simple settings I used to easily find on 10 are now hidden under tabs or what have you just because they decided to make it so.

I'll be skipping 11 altogether (using 10 LTSC that's supported until 2029) and hopefully 12 won't be the same mess as 11.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried Windows 11 last year and even with the Windows Store disabled (set to English International or something) it was still far from ideal, plus they turned the Start Menu programs into something I'd see on Android/iOS UI which I'm not really a fan of, and simple settings I used to easily find on 10 are now hidden under tabs or what have you just because they decided to make it so.

I'll be skipping 11 altogether (using 10 LTSC that's supported until 2029) and hopefully 12 won't be the same mess as 11.
This is a bit off-topic, but is Windows 12 going to be an "OS as a service" deal? Like, monthly payments to keep OS from shutting down or something? I know Microsoft Office as a service has been profitable for them, so it's just the logical next step.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Much like W8.x, I find a replacement start menu and a couple of tweaks e.g. restore the old right click menu, fixed most of the usability issues I had.

Granted I've yet to try it it on my main desktops, just my laptops/steam decks.

This is a bit off-topic, but is Windows 12 going to be an "OS as a service" deal? Like, monthly payments to keep OS from shutting down or something? I know Microsoft Office as a service has been profitable for them, so it's just the logical next step.

This talk has been going around for a while now. Personally I think it would be extremely stupid of MS to charge for the base OS, if anything it's going to be through services running on the OS e.g. push copilot more, more nagware for Edge, OneDrive, etc. At least on consumer editions.

If we do see a shift towards a subscriptions for the base OS, I can see it being if they push their Windows cloud streaming service, especially on ultra low end hardware (think Chromebooks but with Edge and everything else having to be streamed).

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The start menu is great imo and has a lot more features than the Win 7 start menu. One thing I really like is the ability to just start typing and it lists all of my apps as I type. Most of the time it only takes typing a single letter to find whatever I'm looking for. There is also the ability to use a Win 7 style start menu with StartIsBack. Although I don't see the need. Win 11 Start Menu lists all of your installed apps just like the WIn 7 Start Menu lists all of your installed apps. Thing is, with Win 11 it's even easier to find what you want in the Start Menu.

What simple settings were hidden under tabs? I've not experienced this whatsoever since day 1 with Win 11. All settings are simple and easy to find. The old "Control Panel" is even there that opens all of the old school style settings.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Much like W8.x, I find a replacement start menu and a couple of tweaks e.g. restore the old right click menu, fixed most of the usability issues I had.

This talk has been going around for a while now. Personally I think it would be extremely stupid of MS to charge for the base OS, if anything it's going to be through services running on the OS e.g. push copilot more, more nagware for Edge, OneDrive, etc. At least on consumer editions.

If we do see a shift towards a subscriptions for the base OS, I can see it being if they push their Windows cloud streaming service, especially on ultra low end hardware (think Chromebooks but with Edge and everything else having to be streamed).
That makes a lot of sense. Nickel and dime users on the side features instead of the OS itself, but offer a cloud version to see if it can grow an audience.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The start menu is great imo and has a lot more features than the Win 7 start menu. One thing I really like is the ability to just start typing and it lists all of my apps as I type. Most of the time it only takes typing a single letter to find whatever I'm looking for. There is also the ability to use a Win 7 style start menu with StartIsBack. Although I don't see the need. Win 11 Start Menu lists all of your installed apps just like the WIn 7 Start Menu lists all of your installed apps. Thing is, with Win 11 it's even easier to find what you want in the Start Menu.

What simple settings were hidden under tabs? I've not experienced this whatsoever since day 1 with Win 11. All settings are simple and easy to find. The old "Control Panel" is even there that opens all of the old school style settings.
Stuff like changing the Start Menu icon from center to left was in the settings somewhere and I had to look up on the web.

Sadly we have to do it, but it should be M$ to provide a traditional OS experience.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hell to the NAW. But I have been hanging back in 10 from the 11 upgrade. Not much of an upgrade when you take away basic things I need and use every day.
*cough*small taskbar icons*cough*

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Stuff like changing the Start Menu icon from center to left was in the settings somewhere and I had to look up on the web.

I just clicked on the Start Menu, typed "taskb" (didn't even get the full word typed in) and the very first option on the list is "Controls alignment of the taskbar". Like I said, that's a BIG positive for Win 11 for me. The ability to find pretty much everything easily by just starting to type. That option is not hidden or difficult to find at all. ;)

Edit: Even right clicking on the taskbar and selecting "Taskbar Settings" brings it up. The very first page lists "Taskbar Behavior. Taskbar alignment, badging, automatically hide, and multiple displays". This kind of stuff has been under taskbar settings in Windows for as long as I can remember and it's still there, along with other options not even available in Win 7.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, I looked it up the wrong way. October 2024 is for the embedded/POS stuff.

However, the seemingly religious zeal that can be seen when people shout: "WHY?? IT IS UNSAFE!! BETTER USE […] INSTEAD!" goes too far in my opinion.
Not that hard to provide a separated environment for outdated stuff and have fun with it. :) Most of my computers can't go beyond XP and better stay on Windows 98SE. Feels like Windows 7 was released yesterday.

Admittedly for legal reasons alone I would not do anything important on such systems (involving personal identity or banking/money/shopping). That rules out the title of this thread: Windows 7 as daily (or main) OS.

The number of incidents (security breaches) on my end from usage of outdated Windows is… zero. Old Windows won't magically infect by just being connected to a router. I tried it. I *wanted* to see that and it didn't work.
Ad blockers and common sense go a long way to protecting you regardless of what OS you're using. But if you lack one or the other (and I know for a fact many people do) then using the Internet can become russian roulette. Not that that isn't true on an up to date OS. Having an outdated OS just makes it worse.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's why I love Windows 7 all of times because of gaming was something improve over Windows XP due to DirectX 11. I not give up Windows 7 and will keep using for many years to go.

Now I had new computer (CyberPowerPC) with Windows 11 where I bought from Bestbuy store online internet in November 2023 due to on sale. Have AMD Ryzen 7 7700 8 cores CPU, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 2 TB SSD (ADATA Gold Legend) and Nvidia RTX 4060 Ti. I have MSI gaming laptop with Intel Core i5 10th gen (6 cores), 32 GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB SSD and Nvidia RTX 3060 (6 GB VRAM) with Windows 10 and very great for gaming. It's amazing. I heard someone report Windows 11 reduce MSI gaming laptop battery to 1 hour then I refuse to upgrade to Windows 11 and already blocked Window auto update for good reasons. I keep Windows 10 forever on my MSI laptop and don't bother to upgrade to Windows 11 for different reasons. Bigger improve over than my old computer with Windows 7 and excite to play Switch games on emulators that's what I want. It's really insane powerful gaming computer and I love it! It's my first time own AMD CPU processor for gaming. I own old Intel Core i7 3770 before. It's really huge improve over Intel CPU because of bigger L3 Cache that what I learned about it for to lift heavy performance is best for gaming that's why I want to use to play different kind of video games.

I just block Windows 11 auto updates for good reasons. I saw on news from internet about few bad updates cause Windows 11 to crashing (blue screen of death). I will do only manual update on my hands to control my Windows 11 very careful to avoid bad updates.

I hope Windows 12 would be much better than Windows 11. I can't wait to try Windows 12 on VMware Workstation Pro program on my Windows 11 for to learning and study everything. If Windows 12 is good then I will going to replace my Windows 11 to Windows 12. If not doing good then I will force to wipe Windows operating system off then install Linux operating system. That's what I want Linux operating system for my future goal to move on then dump Microsoft Windows operating system away.

I was planned try to buy Apple mini Mac box in November 2023 but I force reject Apple for good reasons. I was shocked about news said Apple computers with M1, M2 and M3 chips are not safe for us due to Chinese spyware and hackers can hack our accounts. I would be angry and pissed off If I have current Apple mini MAC box. But lucky I don't have Apple computer. Anyone heard iPhone and iPads are in big trouble due to security flaws means hackers will steal all people info and accounts! Oh no way! I refuse to buy Apple computers due something wild messy with security problems like nuts! Apple company is in huge trouble right now. US sued Apple that what I saw news on internet. Wow!!! Shocked me! It's very serious and something wrong with Apple company! Thanks god that I don't buy Apple computers, tablet or phones.

I can use my desktop computer with Windows 7 and other desktop computer with Windows 11 anytime. I have old DELL desktop computers come with Windows XP, I refuse to sell them and use for old school PC gaming and retro emulators. Good old memories of gaming. B-)

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75 (this is best light version over 2.0 version and above) and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition are still working on Windows 7 and Windows XP (SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 6.0 still working for database update only) so far. Never bother with other antivirus programs. ;)

Last edited by console,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto