Windows users should try to be more open minded to try Linux

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've transitioned from using WIndows 10 to Linux Mint on a laptop I have and I'm really satisfied with it overall, it has similar programs (er.. it calls it "apps") I'd use on WIndows so I'm good to go with it. That said, my main browsers still remain as Brave (filled with add-ons and adblockers) and Chrome (no add-ons).

Moreover, the UI is very user-friendly and installing programs isn't too hard, for example Brave had the steps on how to get it installed and it was pretty dang smooth overall.

M$ has decided to ruin WIndows so it's just going to push WIndows users towards Linux distros.

Reactions: console

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my opinion nobody should try to convince others in switching OS.

Nobody needs to try anything if they don't want to. For most people a computer is just a tool and not something to wildly try out things. If somebody is happy with Windows, I don't see why they should try Linux (or anything else) unless they actively *want*.

I moved to Linux as main OS when MS denied XP activation of a valid license. Nowadays I'm barely able to use Windows 10 missing all the knowledge, but I never try to convince anybody.

Reactions: skawo

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I tried that, and the transisiton was too much of a difficult issue for me to cope with.

I think I need to extend this a little bit since I have a bit of more of an issue when it came to people wishing for others to switch to a different OS.

During the month of March, I have gotten the announcement that 24H2 was going to purposefully have a lock for extremely old Windows PCs. Although it didn't affect neither my 2022 MSI or my 2008-9 Toshiba Sattelite, it was the time that I've wanted to try out Linux to see how it can go. I

've first got my true hands on Linux in the form of Raspberry PI, but I didn't get through much of that becsuse my interests at the time were for other things. Another thing to mention is the Kano, which was pretty limited on its own, but it still had a good and fun way for children to learn how to code. Fast forwarding to well this past March, I've wanted to remove OpenSUSE from the Toshiba and replace it with something else that's Linux. It was Mint, Debian, and one other suggestion somebody had made. All of them were pretty slow (which tbf, Windows was taking more of the space on the PC), and I wanted to give it on my MSI. That happens and it was getting comfortable, until I realize that too many stuff that I used weren't compatible with Linux even with the help of mint.

So I go try taking it off my PC, and then accidentally managed to make my PC unable to boot into neither Linux or Windows, and had to get a new Windows Installation to fix it on the MSI PC. I also forgotten that I removed Mint off of my Toshiba and tried to fix it, and now it won't even fucking boot AT ALL.
Post automatically merged:

I tried multiple methods.... And I still can't do anything about it the battery has since been dead (plugging it out will automatically shut the PC down), and putting a drive with Ventoy in with MX Linux (to get into Windows after I couldn't without the drive in) and the Windows 7 instalation media (for taking off the Grub menu), and I an losing hope for messing with PCs.

I can't get any information online on how to fix them, especially since it's an 2000s PC that probably nobody even knows about and lacks the knowledge to fix it.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to switch to Linux full time, and I think I'm closer now than I've ever been... However, game developers and their hilariously bad misconceptions about Linux make it hard. That and Parsec can't be hosted on Linux at this time.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When Linux is able to run the software I utilize, I'll be changing from Win10/7/XP.
What software is it? I'd be willing to test some if given the opportunity. I'm on plain old Ubuntu, and it's been pretty capable of running Windows games. I think the Vulkan drivers give even better results on my machine than I could ever get on Windows 7 with DirectX (on the same machine). Using Lutris, when a game doesn't run right away, it's usually just a matter of configuring it a little bit. But maybe you're talking about productivity software? I'd still want to test. Not that I'm trying to convince you to switch to Linux... as someone posted above, to each their own.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

MPRTwice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked linux much better than any version of windows, but unfortunately it is unreliable for certian programs, like AutoCAD. I've been watching the codeweavers site for the possibility of that program having all of its issues fixed. It's come a way, but not there yet.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If you changed the names in the thread title this would read exactly like a religious cult. Enjoy your choices, stop trying to control other people's choices.

TBH this is rather tame when it comes to Linux discussions.

I've seen people who do see Linux as a philosophy, regardless of practicality and would rather run vulnerable CPU microcode then to update it and god help if you get on the wrong side of a Richard Stallman supporter.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I remember daily driving Ubuntu for around a year circa 2016. It was okay (the performance was phenomenal compared to Windows 10 on the same laptop), but I ultimately decided to switch back for a number of reasons:
  • Constant debugging
  • The Wi-Fi driver would fail every few hours and require reconnecting to the network
  • A lot of the programs I was used to didn't have Linux versions, and the Linux-based equivalents were ugly and clunky (the default icon set a lot of programs were using felt especially revolting to me)
    • Everyone uses Microsoft Office around me and of course MS doesn't make a Linux version of its software, so I was stuck using OpenOffice, which honestly was garbage
  • Wine didn't have great compatibility at the time
    • …especially with games (though, I know this has improved since thanks to Proton)
  • Everyone around me is using Windows, so it's better to keep myself fresh on how it works so that I can help them if something goes wrong
I just feel ‘at home’ with Windows. Ubuntu could never capture that feel to me (although I know there are more Windows-like distros out there). I do admit the constant [current buzzword]-pushing and spying of Microsoft is worsening the experience a lot, though. I might end up trying something like Windows 11 Lite or a debloating script the next time I reinstall.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
the TOC of using Linux make it prohibitive to most users, on windows everything works out of the box and you don't need to build or compile ANYTHING; in linux... well for a programmer is the heaven but for the regular user nah.

Last edited by impeeza,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

MetaLLG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
At school I was taught to use office programs on Linux. Not so long ago I started using Ubuntu on my Nintendo Switch and so far so good

Reactions: impeeza

drasglaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've been using Linux as daily driver for a couple of years now (EndeavourOS for the most part), but I still dual boot Windows even if I barely use it nowadays. VR still performs better on WIndows for me and I have relatives who refuse to switch and sometimes I troubleshoot for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.