OP
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Windows 11 might not update if you have these popular apps installed

https://www.pcworld.com/article/229...-if-you-have-some-apps-like-startallback.html

A preview version of this year's big Windows 11 update has a list of apps that block its installation, including a few popular surprises.

APR 8, 2024 7:23 AM PDT

If your Windows 11 PC has failed a Windows Update session in the last week or so, there might be a very specific reason for it. According to a German tech site, Windows 11 version 24H2 (currently in testing among Windows Insiders) has a surprisingly expansive list of apps that will block it from updating. These include a few power user favorites, like StartAllBack.

DeskModder.de reports (via machine translation) that Microsoft is including a database file with the major 24H2 version of Windows 11 that will block the installation if it detects any of eleven very specific applications on the machine. Notable entries include popular tools like EaseUS Disk Copy, user interface tweaks like StartAllBack (which PCWorld is particularly fond of), ExplorerPatcher, and Multi-Mon, and even some fairly innocuous utilities like a Realtek USB adapter, AMD’s Radeon GPU driver, or Apple’s iCloud Services.

Some of these entries block all versions of the application, like EaseUS, and some are extremely specific. For example, Multi-Mon is only blocked if you also have Copilot installed, presumably because of the tweaks the former makes to the Windows taskbar. Here’s the full list and specific conditions, according to DeskModder:

ConisioAdmin.exe (Solidworks PDM)
EaseUS Disk Copy.exe (EaseUS Disk Copy Application)
ep_dwm.exe (ExplorerPatcher) Included since 22H2
iCloudServices.exe (iCloud files shared in Explorer via WhatsApp) Ab 23H2
RadeonSoftware.exe (AMD GPU perf settings) Ab 23H2
StartAllBackCfg.exe (StartAllBack) Included since 22H2
Multi-mon + Copilot (Microsoft)
MergeSdb (Microsoft)
Intel IntcOED.sys (Intel)
Intel IntcAudioBus.sys (Intel) (%WinDir%\System32\drivers\IntcAudioBus.sys)
Realtek 8192su Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (Realtek) (%WinDir%\System32\drivers\RTL8192su.sys)

It’s possible to get at least some of these applications working with the newer version of Windows 11. XDA-Developers has spotted examples of users uninstalling StartAllBack, updating the operating system, then reinstalling the program with a renamed executable file. This isn’t the first time some UI-heavy apps have caused problems with new Windows updates.

Windows 11 version 24H2 won’t be released widely until the latter half of this year — it’s the big feature update Microsoft has been reliably dropping for a few years now. But it looks like Microsoft is taking the opportunity to clean house, and block the OS from installing on some out-of-date hardware. So the list of blocked applications might get shorter as Microsoft removes blocking bugs while 24H2 remains in preview — or it might get longer. Or suddenly include Baldur’s Gate III for no reason, who knows.

Microsoft company is trying to mess with us and people around the world! :(:nayps3::hateit:

I think time for us to switch to Linux operating system soon or now.

I current have AMD’s Radeon GPU driver installed my computer that will be affect by Windows 11 24H2 to block this! Most people had this too. I'm get upset about this right now. :(

Some most people have EaseUS Disk Copy, StartAllBack and Apple’s iCloud Services. Watch out! :blink:

Last edited by console,
  • Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really don’t understand why people are still using Windows. Even gaming has been jumping over to Linux (and even MacOS.) it seems like M$ has gotten worse due to being unchallenged for so long

Reactions: console

Statesman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>updating to Windows 11

What an oxymoron, at best it is a sidegrade atm vs Windows 10 (and a downgrade from Win7).

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This crap nearly classifies as click bait. It's an unfinished preview version. Things are blocked to prevent issues. If people seriously think things like EaseUS Disk Copy and AMD drivers are going to be blocked or prevent updates after the public release... well... lmao. This is nothing more than the usual Windows conspiracy nonsense. Zzzzzzzzzz.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This crap nearly classifies as click bait. It's an unfinished preview version. Things are blocked to prevent issues. If people seriously think things like EaseUS Disk Copy and AMD drivers are going to be blocked or prevent updates after the public release... well... lmao. This is nothing more than the usual Windows conspiracy nonsense. Zzzzzzzzzz.
Join the Arch moment. We are always on unfinished preview versions!

Reactions: console and Kwyjor

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
What funny about this is that I literally can't do anything about this. I can't move to Linux, either. If I switch to Linux..

Compatibility with Windows a la Wine/VM won't work well for me
Parts of my PC that usually work within windows won't work anymore (MSI Center doesn't have a Linux variant)
Discord Rich Presence in certain apps (Notepad++) wont exist
I'll be introduced to Linux-specific problems that I don't know how to solve

I've spent the entirety I'd March trying to adapt to Mint to even fully clean install Windows 11 and 7 (for my Toshiba) almost 5 complete times because of me figuring out how to completely remove Linux off my PC. I lost a ton of data trying to do it, so I'll just take whatever I have because Linux can't be the ultimate replacement for me.
Post automatically merged:

I also use Phone Link, Copilot (even if they boast about the use of it), and PowerToys that don't have Linux variants either.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really don’t understand why people are still using Windows. Even gaming has been jumping over to Linux (and even MacOS.) it seems like M$ has gotten worse due to being unchallenged for so long
yeah let me go play my games that use unsupported anticheat or don't have proper wine compatabilty on my linux machine real quick (just cause 2 crashes my entire pc if i try to play it in wine/proton, a lot of my older or more obscure games either crash instantly or have severe issues that are entirely due to wine/proton, gta san andreas has unresolved audio issues that have been present for many years, i also have a lot of desktop based obscure games like kinito pet that are in no way compatible with linux or proton)

oh wait....

please stop pushing linux as the ultimate end of all solutions os. it absolutely is not, especially for gaming.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yeah let me go play my games that use unsupported anticheat or don't have proper wine compatabilty on my linux machine real quick (just cause 2 crashes my entire pc if i try to play it in wine/proton, a lot of my older or more obscure games either crash instantly or have severe issues that are entirely due to wine/proton, gta san andreas has unresolved audio issues that have been present for many years, i also have a lot of desktop based obscure games like kinito pet that are in no way compatible with linux or proton)

oh wait....

please stop pushing linux as the ultimate end of all solutions os. it absolutely is not, especially for gaming.
Not saying it's perfect but I do think people need to start threatening Microsoft's monopoly on PCs. I have pushed Linux for years and I don't plan on letting up. Sorry not sorry but Windows is shit

• Haha
Reactions: RedColoredStars

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not saying it's perfect but I do think people need to start threatening Microsoft's monopoly on PCs. I have pushed Linux for years and I don't plan on letting up. Sorry not sorry but Windows is shit
the only way for linux to gain any market ground is for other companies to start giving a shit, which they do not and are likely to never do so since that's not where the money is

doesn't help that companies like ubisoft have a massive hardon for not sending a single email to their anticheat company to enable wine support

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

I don't exclusively use Linux simply because it doesn't run everything I want to run and/or has other issues.

For most people though, it's likely because they use whatever their system ships with, look at Chromebooks.

The only real chance I see for 'the year of the desktop Linux' to have a remote chance in hell as of now is if there was a major marketing campaign to get people to switch to Linux after W10 loses support on hardware which can't upgrade to W11. Even then I think they'd need to have a special 'dipstick mode installer' so that even the average customer I deal with can use it (e.g. automatically backup the system, shrink the partition, move documents, etc.).

Otherwise I expect Linux to remain more of a niche for the time being.

It's basically a chicken and the egg and the OEM problem.

Thinking about it, I wonder if the EU will ever mandate some 'first run' prompt similar to what they did with web browsers?

Join the Arch moment. We are always on unfinished preview versions!

As you recently found out with XZ ;).

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yeah. Pure shit, after someone listed instances of things not working on Linux and there's tons more where those came from. Seriously. Fuck Linux.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1