• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Censoring Free Speech - New York Outlaws Common Terms

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And their law is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has already ruled that what some people consider to be hate speech is still protected under the 1st amendment.
An opinion passed as fact, Billapong.
Your former statement followed by the latter makes it seem like courts had made a determination on it.

Reactions: yuyuyup

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that any speech that shines a negative light on Trump or the Republican administration is hate speech. Since you agree that hate speech has no place in America than you must stop using what I consider to be hate speech, otherwise I'll fine you $5,000,000 per instance.
the guy is breeding hated with a long laundry list of examplesok so maybe some hate speech is ok like ^&*% the KKK etc biggots/hate groups deserve no respect because they respect no one that includes trump weither it's 2020/2024 HE WILL LEAVE and probably go to prison afterwards cause and effect

Last edited by chrisrlink,

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except that telling people that you will call ice on them can be seen as a threat, and much more so if these people are LEGAL citizens. I would be really pissed off i were bothered by them because some ass clown filed a false report on me.

This could be the same as swatting. Sending authorities after someone based on a report should be cause for corroboration.

That's if you went through with the threat. There's no reason you'd even need to tell someone you're calling ICE on them and if you're calling ICE you should be certain the person is an illegal to begin with. Although, I'm not the type of person that would call the cops on someone else.

Reactions: Deleted User

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by your logic threatening murder would be seen as a threat if you went through with it. NO IN THAT CASE IT BE SOMETHING WORSE.
There has been cases where ICE has been called wrongly on people as well.

Reactions: Korma and yuyuyup

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the guy is breeding hated with a long laundry list of examplesok so maybe some hate speech is ok like ^&*% the KKK etc biggots/hate groups deserve no respect because they respect no one cause and effect

So, it's okay to use hate speech against Trump because he uses hate speech himself? Then, it would be okay to break this law if the person you're calling an illegal alien said something you don't like. For fuck sakes, grow the hell up. We don't need the Government telling us what we can and cannot say to each other. Deal with it like a man. If you're feelings get all hurt then oh fucking well.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, it's okay to use hate speech against Trump because he uses hate speech himself? Then, it would be okay to break this law if the person you're calling an illegal alien said something you don't like. For fuck sakes, grow the hell up. We don't need the Government telling us what we can and cannot say to each other. Deal with it like a man. If you're feelings get all hurt then oh fucking well.

Sorry, you are right. people should withstand one sided abuse.

us minorities should now our place. I should have known better. I will deal with it like a man.

Humans dont work that way. I am sure you wouldnt either if the shoe were on the other foot.

Also criticizing your guy is not hate speech. you may need to do some growing up yourself.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by your logic threatening murder would be seen as a threat if you went through with it. NO IN THAT CASE IT BE SOMETHING WORSE.
There has been cases where ICE has been called wrongly on people as well.

The act of threatening to murder someone is not the same as murdering someone. If it's a creditable threat (meaning you actually meant it and you pose a danger) then you can be prosecuted. Simply stating that you are going to kill someone isn't illegal by itself.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A THREAT IS A THREAT. Ask any police officer and they will tell you the same. Plenty of clowns that have said stuff and been arrested even if they did not mean it.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh and by the way remember that census question about being illegal i would check yes i'm illegal just to a)prove the true function of that question trump proposed and b) just to waste ICE's time for s&G's

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, you are right. people should withstand one sided abuse.

us minorities should now our place. I should have known better. I will deal with it like a man.

Humans dont work that way. I am sure you wouldnt either if the shoe were on the other foot.

Also criticizing your guy is not hate speech. you may need to do some growing up yourself.

I don't like when people talk down to me, but you know what, it happens. It's happening right now on this very forum, but instead of whining and calling the cops I deal with it. What I consider to be hateful is a lot different than most people. Hell, it varies greatly between genders, party lines, age, etc .... Outlawing speech is not the way to go about things.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A THREAT IS A THREAT. Ask any police officer and they will tell you the same. Plenty of clowns that have said stuff and been arrested even if they did not mean it.

It's up to the police to make the arrest and generally they base it off of if the person poses and actual danger. Unsubstantiated threats get thrown out of consideration all of the time, otherwise we'd see tens of thousands of Fortnite players arrested on a daily basis.

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh and by the way remember that census question about being illegal i would check yes i'm illegal just to a)prove the true function of that question trump proposed and b) just to waste ICE's time for s&G's

It was clearly evident that Trump wanted to use the census to kick criminals out of the country. I don't have a problem with identifying and removing illegal aliens from our country, but that's not what we're discussing.

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody is talking down to you. disagreement is not talking down to somebody. Being asked questions and held under scrutiny is not hate speech either. Do not conflate.

Like I said, what I consider to be hateful may not align with your views. Some of these snowflakes think that if you simply state you dislike or disagree with something that you're being hateful (or are experiencing a devastating phobia). This is one of the inherit problems to the entire hate speech debacle as everyone has different values and is impacted differently. Outlawing certain words based on the consensus of a single group of people isn't the answer. Soon we'll only be able to draw from a vocabulary of 500 words or we'll be sent to prison!

Last edited by billapong,

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, what I consider to be hateful may not align with your views. Some of these snowflakes think that if you simply state you dislike or disagree with something that you're being hateful (or are experiencing a devastating phobia).
Yet you consider criticism of Trump hateful. See the Irony?

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet you consider criticism of Trump hateful. See the Irony?

A little, but I understand each person is different. I was also just giving a blanket example. I don't think simply disagreeing with Trump is hateful, but using slurs based on the color of his skin, his weight or saying he should be assassinated I do find to be hateful. With that said, I don't think there should be limits on hate. It's a normal and natural human emotion. I mean, everyone hates something. You won't find me telling you what you can and cannot hate or trying to do so by using the Government.

Last edited by billapong,

maddenmike95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a pity that it has come to this is a "free" country, even if it is only one state right now. What a damn shame. I have no facts when I say this but I'm assuming that a foreigner who gained his citizenship many moons ago in a high position of power proposed this new law.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a pity that it has come to this is a "free" country, even if it is only one state right now. What a damn shame. I have no facts when I say this but I'm assuming that a foreigner who gained his citizenship many moons ago in a high position of power proposed this new law.
Literally unless you are Native American everyone in this country is a foreigner or descends from one. Come on dude.

Also its NYC not the state of NY. please disseminate the information presented to you folks.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: Korma

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: