Hacking Question Updating a knock-off switch dongle

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I ordered a cheap "NS SX Pro OS Crack Tool Connector Disk for Switch" off of ebay. It's just a dongle that pushes a CTCaer hekate v3.2 payload. Problem is, there is no micro USB port like on the R4s so I can't update the payload and I just updated to 6.0 using ChoidujourNX which isn't supported in v3.2. I tired connecting it to my phone's USB-C port and it just charges.

My question is, since it's a cheap-o ebay dongle there is no support site for it, does anyone know what kind of board this is and how I can change the payload? I took the casing apart and there are no buttons or hidden micro usb port to see. I've included pictures so maybe someone with more knowledge could help me out, I mean, they had to flash the initial payload somehow.

20180927_210204.jpg 20180927_210235.jpg 20180927_210426.jpg

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I ordered a cheap "NS SX Pro OS Crack Tool Connector Disk for Switch" off of ebay. It's just a dongle that pushes a CTCaer hekate v3.2 payload. Problem is, there is no micro USB port like on the R4s so I can't update the payload and I just updated to 6.0 using ChoidujourNX which isn't supported in v3.2. I tired connecting it to my phone's USB-C port and it just charges.

My question is, since it's a cheap-o ebay dongle there is no support site for it, does anyone know what kind of board this is and how I can change the payload? I took the casing apart and there are no buttons or hidden micro usb port to see. I've included pictures so maybe someone with more knowledge could help me out, I mean, they had to flash the initial payload somehow.

View attachment 144864 View attachment 144868 View attachment 144869
I know maybe a crapshoot, but have you tried contacting the seller?

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the board is missing the reset switch. If you soldered one on you can likely put it into flashing mode. It then may show up in your computer like the other devices like the trinket and switchme do over USB-C. If that doesn't work you may need to reflash it some other way using the programming pads on the back.

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like they might have used some kind of pin or jtag header to program the chip instead of using a microusb port. I believe that's what that white rectangle on the bottom is, the place where the programming header would touch.

If that's the case they probably just quickly write to each of them once with their header setup never intending the user to be able to do it themselves.

Looks like each pin is labeled but I wouldn't know how to connect them to USB.

rrocha

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it does seem to have the RST line exposed. If this has an ATSAMD21 with the UFS bootloader, you should be able to get to by using a wire and, while connected to your computer's USB port, have one of the wire tips touching GND and tap twice with the other end on the RST pad.

If it does enter into UFS, drag your desired UFS package or fire up Arduino Studio and compile your own version

jj56185

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It can not change the payload. now there is another version 2 came out in china, add a sd card in the dongle,to update the payload.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the one with the sd, how can I update it? There are no instructions.

If they're .bin files - just download whatever payload you want and replace + rename it to whatever the existing payload was called. That's what my RCMLoader dongle uses (with a text file with the default payload to launch).

If it's a .uf2 - that's more involved as you'll have to figure out what chip the dongle is using before finding an updated .uf2 file (in Mattytrog's extremely useful payload thread).

xKDCx

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If they're .bin files - just download whatever payload you want and replace + rename it to whatever the existing payload was called. That's what my RCMLoader dongle uses (with a text file with the default payload to launch).

If it's a .uf2 - that's more involved as you'll have to figure out what chip the dongle is using before finding an updated .uf2 file (in Mattytrog's extremely useful payload thread).

Well it has a sd slot but there was no sd card in it so I don't know which format it needs to have.
I tried an ad in fat32 and one with NTFS with a payload.bin reinx.bin and a boot.dat on it but it didn't even turn on when in rcm. If the switch is in horizon the led turns green so it doesn't seem to be defective.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1