Question Updating a knock-off switch dongle

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by eskinner3742, Sep 28, 2018.

1. eskinner3742
    OP

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    So, I ordered a cheap "NS SX Pro OS Crack Tool Connector Disk for Switch" off of ebay. It's just a dongle that pushes a CTCaer hekate v3.2 payload. Problem is, there is no micro USB port like on the R4s so I can't update the payload and I just updated to 6.0 using ChoidujourNX which isn't supported in v3.2. I tired connecting it to my phone's USB-C port and it just charges.

My question is, since it's a cheap-o ebay dongle there is no support site for it, does anyone know what kind of board this is and how I can change the payload? I took the casing apart and there are no buttons or hidden micro usb port to see. I've included pictures so maybe someone with more knowledge could help me out, I mean, they had to flash the initial payload somehow.

20180927_210204. 20180927_210235. 20180927_210426.

2. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    I know maybe a crapshoot, but have you tried contacting the seller?

3. eskinner3742
    OP

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    I did message the seller but no response as of yet. I just installed 6.0 like 30 minutes ago and ran into the issue.

4. corim123

corim123 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2007
    United States
    Looks like the board is missing the reset switch. If you soldered one on you can likely put it into flashing mode. It then may show up in your computer like the other devices like the trinket and switchme do over USB-C. If that doesn't work you may need to reflash it some other way using the programming pads on the back.

5. Albytrozz

Albytrozz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    United States
    It looks like they might have used some kind of pin or jtag header to program the chip instead of using a microusb port. I believe that's what that white rectangle on the bottom is, the place where the programming header would touch.

If that's the case they probably just quickly write to each of them once with their header setup never intending the user to be able to do it themselves.

Looks like each pin is labeled but I wouldn't know how to connect them to USB.

6. rrocha

rrocha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    Portugal
    it does seem to have the RST line exposed. If this has an ATSAMD21 with the UFS bootloader, you should be able to get to by using a wire and, while connected to your computer's USB port, have one of the wire tips touching GND and tap twice with the other end on the RST pad.

If it does enter into UFS, drag your desired UFS package or fire up Arduino Studio and compile your own version

7. jcrorxp

jcrorxp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2018
    China
    It can not change the payload. now there is another version 2 came out in china, add a sd card in the dongle,to update the payload.

8. xKDCx

xKDCx Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I have the one with the sd, how can I update it? There are no instructions.

9. mattytrog

mattytrog Not on my watch.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You can change the payload. Quite involved though.

I want one of these things so I can get the chainloader made.

Someone want to send me one? Swap for a trinket m0?

zenamez and ajd4096 like this.
  10. zenamez

zenamez GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2016
    If they're .bin files - just download whatever payload you want and replace + rename it to whatever the existing payload was called. That's what my RCMLoader dongle uses (with a text file with the default payload to launch).

If it's a .uf2 - that's more involved as you'll have to figure out what chip the dongle is using before finding an updated .uf2 file (in Mattytrog's extremely useful payload thread).

11. ShadyGame

ShadyGame GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Portugal
    I have one also, been talking to the seller for one month now, he's always asking me to be patient, bla bla...

12. xKDCx

xKDCx Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Well it has a sd slot but there was no sd card in it so I don't know which format it needs to have.
    I tried an ad in fat32 and one with NTFS with a payload.bin reinx.bin and a boot.dat on it but it didn't even turn on when in rcm. If the switch is in horizon the led turns green so it doesn't seem to be defective.