• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Censoring Free Speech - New York Outlaws Common Terms

maddenmike95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally unless you are Native American everyone in this country is a foreigner or descends from one. Come on dude.

I have the freedom to say what I want and that is a prime example of freedom of speech. But for real I just think it's sad that government is trying to censor what we can and can not say.

Last edited by maddenmike95,
Reactions: Deleted User

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the freedom to say what I want and that is a prime example of freedom of speech
oh you certainly can. I am just pointing out the fact that everybody in this country is a foreigner (outside of Native Americans). Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from scrutiny.

Also bares repeating: this is NYC not the state of NY

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: yuyuyup

maddenmike95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh you certainly can. I am just pointing out the fact that everybody in this country is a foreigner (outside of Native Americans). Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from scrutiny.

Alright, NYC, but still very wrong in my eyes. Well you say freedom from scrutiny, wouldn't rally's that take place all across the USA that you disagree with be a form of scrutiny. They don't fine people for those or make laws against those.

Last edited by maddenmike95,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does this reminds me of that "Don't talk, take action" quotes. One of the Police said to me, "instead of threatening to shoot someone, just shoot them to kill, then drag the carcass inside your house". That was back oh gosh back in the 90's in New Mexico. The reason for that is the offending person that you're threatening can get you for well threatening them or harassment even on your own property, can file legal action against you, where if you were to kill them, they cannot do a thing about it and since dragging them inside of your own house affords you to classify as self-defense. I don't know if this is true or not, or is still true to this day. So what it appears to come down to today or in the future is, don't make threats, just act on them. It might get to the point to where it is better to commit a crime then actually make such threat... or keep to yourself.

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does this reminds me of that "Don't talk, take action" quotes. One of the Police said to me, "instead of threatening to shoot someone, just shoot them to kill, then drag the carcass inside your house". That was back oh gosh back in the 90's in New Mexico. The reason for that is the offending person that you're threatening can get you for well threatening them or harassment even on your own property, can file legal action against you, where if you were to kill them, they cannot do a thing about it and since dragging them inside of your own house affords you to classify as self-defense. I don't know if this is true or not, or is still true to this day. So what it appears to come down to today or in the future is, don't make threats, just act on them. It might get to the point to where it is better to commit a crime then actually make such threat... or keep to yourself.

In some circumstances it's just best to keep your mouth shut. I wouldn't want to threaten an illegal alien by saying I'm going to call Ice on him and then it turns out he's in MS13, just got done raping a 13 year old and decides to shoot me in the back as I walk away. As per your specific example it is common knowledge that dead people can't testify against you.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

By that definition, it is the foreigners that is making these laws. Native Americans have their tribes with their own laws.

In some circumstances it's just best to keep your mouth shut. I wouldn't want to threaten an illegal alien by saying I'm going to call Ice on him and then it turns out he's in MS13, just got done raping a 13 year old and decides to shoot me in the back as I walk away. As per your specific example it is common knowledge that dead people can't testify against you.
True, that is the reason why I stated "or keep to yourself."

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My take: Have any of your read 1984? These thought police can go to hell.
I have (multiple times, even). If you have, you should read it again. The limitation of language there serves as a purpose of making thoughts against the reigning ideology impossible. You seem to understand that purpose, which is strange because it conflicts with this situation.

Why does the NYC limit this? If you ask me, because the hatred against foreigners is getting out of hand. The reigning ideology isn't from illegals being above the law but from the local populace trying to coerce foreigners (illegal or not) into doing their bidding. That's why threatening to have someone deported isn't always a matter of free speech or thought, but in specific cases an actual threat.

I hate to be the guy who blame Donald Trump for everything, but in this case it just applies. Time and time again he bangs on about foreigners that shouldn't be in America. While there is something to be said about protecting borders, it's easy to leave out the context of protecting one self (1) and applying it to make everyone with another skin color a lesser human than 'the great white Supreme Beings'.

(1) this is, of course, the very lenient version of what he says. Like many who don't automatically believe everything he says at first sight, I believe this 'protecting the border' is just a racist's excuse for hate propaganda. Or a 'two minute hate' moment, since you like 1984 tropes

Last edited by Taleweaver, , Reason: Returning should have been reigning

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
. So what it appears to come down to today or in the future is, don't make threats, just act on them. It might get to the point to where it is better to commit a crime then actually make such threat... or keep to yourself.
How about you do not make threats and comply with your cities local laws and ordinances. I remember last i heard that Republicans are the party of law and order* Anybody that thinks that someone who looks like a foreigner is an MS13 member who needs ICE called on them needs to get himself mentally checked. Also yelling people "I am gonna call ICE on you" in public, what constructive outcome do you expect other than to look like a thug in public?
Also if you commit a crime and get caught enjoy your jail time

*unless it doesnt benefit them

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about you do not make threats and comply with your cities local laws and ordinances. I remember last i heard that Republicans are the party of law and order* Anybody that thinks that someone who looks like a foreigner is an MS13 member who needs ICE called on them needs to get himself mentally checked. Also yelling people "I am gonna call ICE on you" in public, what constructive outcome do you expect other than to look like a thug in public?
Also if you commit a crime and get caught enjoy your jail time

*unless it doesnt benefit them
I believe you may have missed the point and I should have worded that differently as I am not trying to advocate on committing the crime.
It might get to the point in the future where if you are going to threaten them, it might be better to go through with your threats weather then threatening them. You might be serving less jail time by committing vs threatening. I have seen some cases where people that committed crimes got lesser sentencing then the people that made threats, but perhaps that is an anomaly. It is generally better to stay quiet and out of the way.
However I do advocate defending yourself, especially if you are on your own property.

Last edited by RandomUser,

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a mistake here in a forced comparison with a thought police:

Threatening is not a "thought" but an act, it is itself a crime.

You're correct, but outlawing words is a method of thought control. The Liberals are trying to outlaw "hate", but only their definition of hate (and not their own hatred). Trying to outlaw hateful thinking is thought control.

Well, good luck trying to outlaw peoples hatred towards Trump. Imagine if it were illegal to criticize the President or even think badly about him? If you start outlawing words then some time down the road you're going to fall victim to those laws. If not will you feel better when your children aren't legally allowed to think or say anything that is perceived negative about something they don't agree with?

I'm not advocating that people go around threatening people and if you do and get the shit kicked out of you then that's just the scrutiny factor coming into play. It would be best to not going around threatening people if you'd like to avoid problems. If you're going to be calling ICE on someone it would be best to do so in private with good reason and without letting the other person know you're going to be doing so.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Another one for the ignore list

No reason to gloat about your ignorance. Just ignore and move on.

Last edited by billapong,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says derogatory use, pretty sure this is if you call a legal mexican american an illegal alien, I find nothing wrong with that, and who the fuck thinks the correct term to call someone is "illegal alien"....

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says derogatory use, pretty sure this is if you call a legal mexican american an illegal alien, I find nothing wrong with that, and who the fuck thinks the correct term to call someone is "illegal alien"....

According to Federal law (the law that supersedes State and Local laws) the correct legal terminology to call someone who is in the country illegally is an illegal alien. It always makes me think of little green men, but that's the wording the law uses. I'd rather they just call them freeloading trespassing scum. I mean, what would you call me if I broke into your house, ate your food, took your money, used your health insurance, called you a transphobic jerk all day long because you refused to have sex with me and when you call the cops they tell you that you'd have to take care of me and you couldn't kick me out and that you would have to buy me a smart phone? Would you embrace me with open arms as your new roommate?

Last edited by billapong,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I may or may not reside in the city, but regardless it's a general protest.
Go back home.

Also making calling ICE one someone because of discriminatory motives illegal? How dare they.

Mexican Joker

First they came for our racial slurs. Then they came for our derogatory treatment of others, then they took away our code phrase for hatng on foreigners, by making the phrase 'go back to your own country' a punishable offense.

So now we cant character assassinate minorities with our fixed catch phrases no more. Buhuuuu. Freedom of speech my ass.

Do you need that to express, what? Is that an essential part if your dayly argument to represent what?

That minorities would be better suited to the countries they came from?

You liar, you ass, here is free speech for you.

In practice this will not lead to individuals being fined up to 250.000 - it will produce social pressure on people deciding to publicly discriminate based on perceived racial stereotypes.

And you are siding with the 'but I want to - free speech!' side on this?

Last edited by notimp,

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go back home.

Also making calling ICE one someone because of discriminatory motives illegal? How dare they.

Mexican Joker

First they came for our racial slurs. Then they came for our derogatory treatment of others, then they took away our code phrase for hatng on foreigners, by making the phrase 'go back to your own country' a punishable offense.

So now we cant character assassinate minorities with our fixed catch phrases no more. Buhuuuu. Freedom of speech my ass.

Do you need that to express, what? Is that an essential part if your daylay argument to represent what?

That minorities would be better suited to the countries they came from?

You liar, you ass, here is free speech for you.

In practice this will not lead to individuals being fined up to 250.000 - it will peoduce social pressure on people publicly descriminating based on perceived racial stereotypes.

And you are siding with the 'but I want to - free speech!' side on this?

If you would have read the 3 out of 3 tweets Trump said that you should go back from the countries you came from, fix the problems there, come back and show us how it's done. I'm not going to debate with someone that leaves out 1/3 of the information contained within someones statement and then try to twist the 2/3 to fit into some out of context made up garbage. Either use the full quote or don't use it at all.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is the directive btw:
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/cchr/downloads/pdf/publications/immigration-guidance.pdf

I'm now reading it to find out the fine 'structuring', if present.

- Its not a punishable offense in private either. So only in public.
In New York City, you cannot be discriminated against because of your actual or perceived immigration status or your national origin in employment, housing, and public spaces such stores, hospitals, and movie theaters. You have rights regardless of your immigration status:

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum