• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Censoring Free Speech - New York Outlaws Common Terms

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is what they actually did. They closed the racist loophole of pronouncing ''oh no - I'm only a cultural nativist'.

Discrimination based on immigration status often overlaps with discrimination based on national origin23 and/or religion. The “line between discrimination based on ancestry or ethnic characteristics, and discrimination based on place or nation of . . . origin, is not a bright one,”24 and it is often difficult to disentangle the motivation behind discriminatory animus based on immigration status, national origin, and other protected categories. Individuals who feel they have experienced discrimination may file a complaint under any or all of these categories that relate to their claim.25

Here is the legal reasoning as to why they did it - and what they did exactly.
Legislative History

Local Law 97 of 1965 amended the NYCHRL to add “national origin” as a protected category in employment, public accommodations, and housing.27 Two decades later, the federal government passed the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (“IRCA”)—a statute that changed the landscape of immigration law by creating sanctions for employers who hire undocumented workers,28 legalizing the presence of certain seasonal agricultural undocumented immigrants, and granting amnesty for all immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982.29 After the passage of IRCA, New York City found that some employers, in an effort to comply with the new federal law, were discriminating against immigrant New Yorkers by asking only “foreign-looking” individuals for work authorization documents or hiring only U.S. citizens.30 The New York State Interagency Task Force on Immigration Affairs similarly found that, due to IRCA, New York employers were engaging in practices that disadvantaged or discriminated against noncitizens by refusing to accept legally valid proof of residency, denying employment to those who experienced minor delays in gathering documentation, asking for documents only from individuals who they perceived to be foreign, and refusing to hire individuals not born in the U.S. 31 The City determined that immigrants “are often victims of discrimination and denied rights conferred upon them by the U.S. Constitution and other federal, state, and City law.”32 As a result, the City enacted Local Law 52 of 1989, adding “alienage and citizenship status” as a protected category to the NYCHRL, 33 providing anti-discrimination legal protections to documented and undocumented immigrants alike. 34

So the 'protected' category already existed.

And got extended to harassment:

In the workplace
As with other forms of harassment, employers are strictly liable for an unlawful discriminatory practice where the harasser exercises managerial or supervisory responsibility.85 Employers may be held liable for a non-managerial employee’s harassment if the employer: (1) knew about the employee’s conduct and “acquiesced in such conduct or failed to take immediate and appropriate corrective action,”86 or (2) should have known about the employee’s discriminatory conduct and “failed to exercise reasonable diligence to prevent such discriminatory conduct.”87 Employer threats to call federal immigration authorities can constitute unlawful harassment under the NYCHRL when motivated, in whole or in part, by animus related to the employee’s actual or perceived immigration status and/or national origin. In addition, using the specter of calling immigration authorities or the police to force employees to work in unsafe, unequal, or otherwise unlawful conditions is unlawful harassment under the NYCHRL. 88 While reporting a violation of the law to the police is otherwise permitted, it is a violation of the NYCHRL when such action is taken or threats to take such action are made based solely on a discriminatory or retaliatory motive. If workers have engaged in any protected activity, such reports to authorities may be actionable as retaliation.89

In Housing
harassment related to immigration status or national origin covers a broad range of conduct and occurs generally when an individual is treated less well because of their actual or perceived immigration status or national origin. Such treatment may be demeaning, humiliating, or offensive. Even a single comment by a housing provider or agent made in circumstances where that comment would signal discriminatory views about immigration status or national origin may be enough to constitute harassment.100

In public accommodation (dont do it in public transportation, racists - BUT ONLY if you are working in public accommodation)
Harassment by providers of public accommodations because of an individual’s immigration status or national origin, or any other protected category, is unacceptable. Such harassing conduct may include an incident or behavior that makes a patron feel unwelcome, or that fosters an atmosphere that is demeaning, humiliating, or offensive. A single comment made in circumstances where that comment would signal discriminatory views about immigration status or national origin may be enough to constitute harassment.119 Harassment by providers of public accommodations may include comments, or jokes and can occur in public accommodations such as schools, hospitals, or public transportation.

There is a special clause for whats called Discriminatory Harassment. (Thats the threatening to call ICE onto someone part.)
Discriminatory Harassment The NYCHRL prohibits discriminatory harassment or violence motivated by an individual’s actual or perceived immigration status or national origin.130 Discriminatory harassment occurs when someone uses force or threatens to use force against a victim, or when someone damages or destroys another individual’s property, because of the victim’s actual or perceived immigration status or national origin. This form of discrimination does not require a special relationship, such as employer-employee, landlord-tenant, or between a provider of public accommodation and a customer.

As in all the other instances of harassment noted do require 'special relationship' as in 'holding power over someone', or interacting in a provider/customer relationship in public accommodation.

MEANING THE NORMAL CITZEN IS UNAFFECTED. If he doesnt threaten to call ICE on people.

So f*ck you and f*ck your lying blogs, you lying piece of...

There is also a clause against racial profiling in policework.

There is a clause that extends this to prohibiting Associational Discrimination
Associational Discrimination The NYCHRL’s anti-discrimination protections extend to prohibit unlawful discriminatory practices based on an individual’s relationship to or association with an individual who actually has or is perceived to have a particular immigration status, or because of their actual or perceived national origin.140 The law does not require a familial relationship for an individual to be protected by the association provision; the relevant inquiry is whether the covered entity was motivated by the individual’s association with an individual who has a particular immigration status or national origin.
But thats not free speech anymore (discrimination only concerns acts of disperate treatment.).

There is no mention in the act as to how large of a fine would be imposed. So in reporting thats probably just the top figure for violating 'protected categories' in general. No case law. No actual fine structures.

I doubt, let me rephrase, I HIGHLY DOUBT, that the normal metro worker engaging in this will be stuck with a 250.000 USD fine.

Also - take this as a very concrete example on how you f*cking right wing blogs lie to you on a daily basis, and you disaminate their crap into other communities for free.

A final f*ck you seems appropriate.

src: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/cchr/downloads/pdf/publications/immigration-guidance.pdf

Last edited by notimp,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
A little, but I understand each person is different. I was also just giving a blanket example. I don't think simply disagreeing with Trump is hateful, but using slurs based on the color of his skin, his weight or saying he should be assassinated I do find to be hateful. With that said, I don't think there should be limits on hate. It's a normal and natural human emotion. I mean, everyone hates something. You won't find me telling you what you can and cannot hate or trying to do so by using the Government.
Racism against orange people is the worst I’ve seen in my life time. Unlike Hispanics and Latinos from California that talk about being a minority which they are actually the majority in a few cities in that state so they don’t deal with white racism, Orange People are the true minorities. Only one I know of thats ruling our land, they are a rarity.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: billapong

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Oh and one more thing. If you hadn't ruined journalism by forcing it to become 'opinions in blogs' and react to every story within three minutes instead of half an hour - by following the f*cking teachings of a Zuckyboys facebook news algorithm -

you wouldnt have to rely on random non US citizens, reading themselves into the law proposals on this, explaining your legal system to you - on a sunday morning.

Everything just has become an emotional rollercoaster ride - for all the wrong reasons.

Your news sources bait you - and you still havent learned to follow up on stories, or use sources - that dont.

So sad.

Here the TL;DR for the average New Yorker again: If you are not threatening to call ICE on people in your normal day to day conversations, you are fine. As in unaffected.

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

Oh and one more thing. If you hadn't ruined journalism by forcing it to become 'opinions in blogs' and react to every story within three minutes instead of half an hour - by following the f*cking teachings of a Zuckyboys facebook news algorithm -

you wouldnt have to rely on random non US citizens, reading themselves into the law proposals on this, explaining your legal system to you - on a sunday morning.

Everything just has become an emotional rollercoaster ride - for all the wrong reasons.

Your news sources bait you - and you still havent learned to follow up on stories, or use sources - that dont.

So sad.

Here the TL;DR for the average New Yorker again: If you are not threatening to call ICE on people in your normal day to day conversations, you are fine. As in unaffected.
Think the largest issue with my country/ United States is that, we only want to hear what we want to hear. And second off people lack self awareness. I really swear people do at times. Then again, I don't know what goes in other people's heads. But there's the fact people don't question a lot of things at all, more specifically why things the way they are, or try read into the multiple layers of a statement. But then there is the third issue. Stupidity. I'm glad that you are able to keep up with people's stupidity, gives hope that perhaps other people can. Because that's probably the third biggest issue at least, with what I've seen. I can only tell my perspective, which is only factual to my view (and biased) Which is that, when someone of intelligence talks to someone who is... at best uninformed. The uninformed person... yeah no not going to work, screw the euphemism. Moron says something to a smart person, their raw stupidity baffles them to the point it's practically impossible to respond; Where it's so factually wrong in a single sentence that it's just a complete overload.

Last edited by ,

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Racism against orange people is the worst I’ve seen in my life time. Unlike Hispanics and Latinos from California that talk about being a minority which they are actually the majority in a few cities in that state so they don’t deal with white racism, Orange People are the true minorities. Only one I know of thats ruling our land, they are a rarity.

Trump's not the only overly tanned person I've seen in my lifetime, but regardless of the fact he's actually white I was simply pointing out that talking badly about someone due to their skin color is hateful in my book. You could be talking badly about black people, brown people, red people, white people, yellow people, etc ...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So sad.

Regardless of how the law is actually enforced any law that limits free speech should be eradicated. There should also be no law ever created that restricts human emotions or thought.

Think the largest issue with my country/ United States is that, we only want to hear what we want to hear. And second off people lack self awareness. I really swear people do at times. Then again, I don't know what goes in other people's heads. But there's the fact people don't question a lot of things at all, more specifically why things the way they are, or try read into the multiple layers of a statement. But then there is the third issue. Stupidity. I'm glad that you are able to keep up with people's stupidity, gives hope that perhaps other people can. Because that's probably the third biggest issue at least, with what I've seen. I can only tell my perspective, which is only factual to my view (and biased) Which is that, when someone of intelligence talks to someone who is... at best uninformed. The uninformed person... yeah no not going to work, screw the euphemism. Moron says something to a smart person, their raw stupidity baffles them to the point it's practically impossible to respond; Where it's so factually wrong in a single sentence that it's just a complete overload.

I'd like to add that in addition to your observation that the informed person in these particular situations is under no obligation to educate the uneducated. Questioning things requires an active interest in things around you (other than your phone). People are way too trusting as this is one of the main reasons why other people get away with so much shit. It would take time and effort to question things and who want's to take time and effort these days? What the hell do you expect from people that need a TL; DR for a 3 paragraph post?

One problem I see interfering with the reason people just accept this as-is and they aren't being taught independent thinking skills. Sure, they teach critical thinking skills in some colleges, but what ever happened to thinking for yourself? I find both independent and critical thinking skills very useful, especially when combined and when I was going to school they started teaching various aspects of each of them in the 3rd grade.

Last edited by billapong,

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the directive btw:
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/cchr/downloads/pdf/publications/immigration-guidance.pdf

I'm now reading it to find out the fine 'structuring', if present.

- Its not a punishable offense in private either. So only in public.
In New York City, you cannot be discriminated against because of your actual or perceived immigration status or your national origin in employment, housing, and public spaces such stores, hospitals, and movie theaters. You have rights regardless of your immigration status:

People in the country illegally should have the right to get kicked the fuck out. That's about the only right they need.

seany1990

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's completely ridiculous that you actually believe that criticising Trump is classed as hate speech. I'm embarrassed for you

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's completely ridiculous that you actually believe that criticising Trump is classed as hate speech. I'm embarrassed for you

It depends on what the person is saying. If what they are saying is motivated by hate then it's hate speech. Simply stating you "hate carrots" is hate speech. There's no difference between saying you hate soybeans than saying you hate black people. Both are subjects of your hate. So if your hatred for Trump is motivating you to criticize him then it's hate speech.

Well, then there's Liberal hate speech, which is basically anything you might say that goes against their agenda or that they dislike. Although, it's a Liberal, so of course they're going to skew the definition to fit whatever it is they are after. I mean, according to a Liberal calling someone "white trash" is somehow not racist or demeaning in any sort of fashion, but calling someone a "black bitch" is racist. Both contain a reference to ones skin color and both contain derogatory words and if both are motivated by hatred then both are hate speech. Just because you agree with hate speech doesn't make it not hate speech (or vice versa).

How you feel about what the person is saying is irrelevant - it doesn't matter. You think, because you disagree that using speech motivated by hate against Trump, well, because it's Trump and Trump sucks doesn't make it hate speech. Well, guess what. If it's motivated by hate it's hate speech regardless if if you agree with it or not.

So according to Liberal logic, I could simply state;

"It's completely ridiculous that people actually believe that criticising illegal aliens is classed as racist. I'm embarrassed for you "

... and that would be as accurate as your accusation.

(see how that works) .... : )

Last edited by billapong,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is as is categorised in the OP that is terribly unfortunate.

I can't see how that would trouble someone's intellectual property rights, be construed as a physical threat or the other usual exceptions, and furthermore I don't especially find the definition of protected classes or hate speech as defined by the New York in question to be a great one over the baseline used elsewhere.

Whether I would have any time for a person caring to make such a statement is a different matter entirely. If nothing else if that is really the best "insult"/comeback/snarl you can come up with then peh.

Literally unless you are Native American everyone in this country is a foreigner or descends from one. Come on dude.

Is that really a useful metric or distinction? Most of them have been there for long enough that "going home" is something that can't even be contemplated* (for one the country of their grandparents might not even exist any more, to say nothing of border changes or straight up mixing) and furthermore is Native American a particularly useful distinction in and of itself? Quite a few tribes that were self contained (never mind those across the whole US that probably had no clue about goings on for the other coast) and never had anything resembling a unified political, cultural or geographical notion of the US, to say nothing of movements of tribes during various acts of unpleasantness.

*or if you prefer see how laughable the "I'm Irish" notion is.

D

Deleted User

Eh. I don't care. The 'go back to your country' bit doesn't matter. There are other ways to communicate at the end of the day. We have such a massive vocabulary that the outlawing of five or so words in a specific context won't really make a difference. I'm somewhat worried this will set a precedent, though. Where do you draw the line when it comes to hateful speech? What scares me most is if this spirals into a slippery slope and the government tries to compel speech.

1984 is a darn good example. In the book, the fascist/socialist/democratic/republican government creates an entirely new language. Their reason? If you control what people speak, you control what they think. Or at least make it harder for them to contextualize. What is freedom, without the word freedom, after all.

The discriminatory motive bit is very worrying though. How do you define motive? Are they planning to scan the brains of the people involved?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Eh. I don't care. The 'go back to your country' bit doesn't matter. There are other ways to communicate at the end of the day. We have such a massive vocabulary that the outlawing of five or so words in a specific context won't really make a difference. I'm somewhat worried this will set a precedent, though. Where do you draw the line when it comes to hateful speech? What scares me most is if this spirals into a slippery slope and the government tries to compel speech.

1984 is a darn good example. In the book, the fascist/socialist/democratic/republican government creates an entirely new language. Their reason? If you control what people speak, you control what they think. Or at least make it harder for them to contextualize. What is freedom, without the word freedom, after all.

The discriminatory motive bit is very worrying though. How do you define motive? Are they planning to scan the brains of the people involved?
Return to the Place from which you came.
Go back to your country of Origin.
Restore yourself to the location you originally came from.

People can conversely say go back to Europe. Send them back. There's illegals from Europe and Africa and Asia. But you hardly hear send them back to White Europeans, lets call Ice on them. Or to Asians.

Just claim every thing is racist that's how you define motive.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Federal law (the law that supersedes State and Local laws) the correct legal terminology to call someone who is in the country illegally is an illegal alien. It always makes me think of little green men, but that's the wording the law uses. I'd rather they just call them freeloading trespassing scum. I mean, what would you call me if I broke into your house, ate your food, took your money, used your health insurance, called you a transphobic jerk all day long because you refused to have sex with me and when you call the cops they tell you that you'd have to take care of me and you couldn't kick me out and that you would have to buy me a smart phone? Would you embrace me with open arms as your new roommate?
Is this a joke? At the end of the day the tax difference is really quite minimal.... The transgender (though I agree it's fine to only want to have sex by birth gender) thing makes me think this is a joke.

Also, how do you know which Mexicans are illegal aliens?

Last edited by Ericthegreat,

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this a joke? At the end of the day the tax difference is really quite minimal.... The transgender (though I agree it's fine to only want to have sex by birth gender) thing makes me think this is a joke.

Well, I was being sarcastic and realized that the topic I created was about limiting free speech. It just so happens that this particular law that limits free speech relates to freeloading scum. So I'll try to veer back on topic.

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I could ask you the same thing... Is this a joke?
When you give your opinions on things such as tax difference being "minimal", maybe give a guideline of what is "minimal" in your mind. It is estimated that illegal immigration costs the US around $135 billion per year while the illegal aliens only give back $19 billion in taxes. Do you think $119 billion is "minimal"???

The transgender "thing" is most likely based on the fact that illegal aliens mostly always go the liberal route when they come across the border do to the fact that the Democrats give them free stuff. Why wouldn't you take the side of those that give you free stuff? Of course, they are going to start conforming to the ways of their new "saviors".
If they try to rape you, they can say they are trans and you are transphobic which makes them the victim. You end up being the one going to jail for a hate crime while they continue living free in your home with your stuff.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hate is a normal human emotion that has uses and can be harnessed for good.
ROFLMAO hey genius, uh oh, here comes the libturd to show you what's what. SOOOOO basically, just telling any hispanic "go back to where you came from" is certainly NOT legal, but apparently you've never heard of the "fighting words doctorine" And I guess you think you can just simply cherry-pick whatever laws you want to get mad at. WOW GEE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words

There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any Constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words--those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.

— Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 1942

DARN! Oh that damn law, so inconvenient to the OP's dummy post ROFLMAO #howembarrassing #duh #checkthelaw #yourenotsmarterthanme #ROFLMAO #greatjob #noreallygreatjobamigo

D

Deleted User

The fact people liked my post who I was referring to being a moron, or implying, just really shows they can't read into a argument. How sad.

People in the country illegally should have the right to get kicked the fuck out. That's about the only right they need.
And see here we go again, not reading into things. Why do they come illegally? Is there anything at all that is factual that we know right now, that is causing them to come to the state illegally? People don't move without reason. People don't break the law without reason. (source please as part of your defense. And if you're going to talk about a law, link the actual law. And also yes I do know, but I want to see what you know.) As you love 1984 so much, I recommend you read Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler. Because that book actually might just give some insight.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: yuyuyup

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that really a useful metric or distinction? Most of them have been there for long enough that "going home" is something that can't even be contemplated* (for one the country of their grandparents might not even exist any more, to say nothing of border changes or straight up mixing)

Tell that to the dreamers. There is a bunch of A**holes that keep telling them to go home. Even though they dont know any other place than this one as their home. Many do not speak any other language other than english through no fault of their own. As i said earlier I used that statement to point out the actual intent of the poster I was replying to. Nothing more nothing less.
Also read Notimp's posts on what the law is actually meant to do.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: yuyuyup

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally unless you are Native American everyone in this country is a foreigner or descends from one. Come on dude.

"Native Americans" descend from foreigners too. There's nothing precious or special about having ancestry that goes back further on a particular piece of land over anyone else who's a legit citizen. Not in the USA where we have citizenship by birth, anyway. You're either a citizen, or you're not. (In other countries, where being born there doesn't automatically make you a citizen, maybe you could say there is actual merit to 'ancestral heritage'.)

Reactions: billapong

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Native Americans" descend from foreigners too. There's nothing precious or special about having ancestry that goes back further on a particular piece of land over anyone else who's a legit citizen. Not in the USA where we have citizenship by birth, anyway. You're either a citizen, or you're not. (In other countries, where being born there doesn't automatically make you a citizen, maybe you could say there is actual merit to 'ancestral heritage'.)
Congratulations for not reading the posts afterwards. You are the 3rd winner in this thread.

For the 3rd time: As i said earlier I used that statement to point out the actual intent of the poster I was replying to. Nothing more nothing less.

read the whole post instead of looking through the thread for things to "PWN"
people on.

check post #47 for context.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: yeah