• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What do yall think about the ages of senators and Congress people?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Some people do tend to become more self-centered as they get older and stop considering what the future of their country might look like, but just as big an issue is the Congressman to lobbyist pipeline. Anybody of any age running for Congress as nothing more than the interview process for a higher-paying job in the private sector obviously is not going to have the public's best interests at heart. That's how corporations and billionaires buy more influence over government.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you think it will take to set age limits. Congress has a lot of elderly showing signs of dementia and impaired cognitive faculties.

The White House too.

I honestly don't think anyone over 60 should be in any political position.

60's a pretty low bar. Don't think so? Get back to me when you're 60.

I've got three years to go until 60 and I'd like nothing more than to hang it all up and enjoy my life and hobbies. But as long as the government says I have to keep going to work if I want to eventually claim my full retirement and social security benefits, then I should be able to run for dog catcher.

Reactions: AncientBoi

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
60's a pretty low bar. Don't think so? Get back to me when you're 60
I said what I said and I am sticking to it. I am tired of seeing aging politicians and would prefer to also not need to be involved in either politics or the workforce when I turn 60.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Way too damn old. I think when you hit 50, no matter what, you're out. 35 to 50 is a good age range for people to run a country without being too old and stuck in archaic ways of thinking. Keeps the blood and ideas fresh. Otherwise we end up with pieces of shit like Mitch McConnell, who helps exactly nobody.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do think there is a need for an age cap, even if there are people that actually care pass that cap.

Idk about what age tho. Around 70 seems to come up for both life expectancy and mental decline, so probably around that age. Either way, maybe congress will care about health more, if we actually manage to tie it to something like life expectancy.

Reactions: Xzi

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Shouldn't the question be 'why aren't there more young politicians?'?

I mean... They're all chosen by an electorate, aren't they?

Edit: i forget her name, but Mitch Mcconnell was challenged by a young, energetic woman who seemed reageer to represent Republicans (an army fight pilot, iirc). She never stood a chance.
And Mitch is... Erm... Not exactly the youngest politician in the government. :P

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: Xzi and AncientBoi

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the whole age debate is a distraction from the really important considerations:

1. Is this politician actually trying to improve the country, the society they represent, and/or the world at large? Or they in it for personal gain?
2. Is this politician mentally competent enough to make those good decisions?

We should not be throwing out competent and caring politicians just because they are old. Nor should we be giving stupid and corrupt politicians a pass just because they are in their 30s-50s.

Reactions: Xzi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the whole age debate is a distraction from the really important considerations:

1. Is this politician actually trying to improve the country, the society they represent, and/or the world at large? Or they in it for personal gain?

We should not be throwing out competent and caring politicians just because they are old. Nor should we be giving stupid and corrupt politicians a pass just because they are in their 30s-50s.

Are they not Corrupt And Stupid now?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Yep, just take a look at Lauren (Beetlejuice) Boebert, Matt (Pedo) Gaetz, and Margarine Trailer Grease. Some of the worst people this country has to offer, and also some of youngest in Congress. Younger doesn't necessarily mean smarter or more ethical.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The politics part is easy. The workforce ... well, good luck with that.
I am already in politics
IMG_0564.jpeg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong