Valve announces new OLED Steam Decks with up to 1TB internal storage and some hardware revisions

deck.png

Valve has announced today a new revision for their hybrid console, the Steam Deck, with HDR OLED screens, more internal storage and way better hardware than the original releases, as well as price cuts to the original LCD models of the Deck.

To start off, the Steam Deck LCD models will have their price reduced according to the following:
  • 64GB Model - $349 (Originally $399)
  • 256GB Model - $399 (Originally $529)
  • 512GB - $449 (Originally $649)
According to some outlets, Valve is planning to discontinue both the original 64GB LCD model, as well as the 512GB model to focus on both the new OLED 512GB and 1TB models, as well as the the base 256GB LCD model with its reduced price of $399 (which is what the original 64GB model was priced for on release).

The new OLED models have two iterations, the 512GB model going for $549, and the 1TB model for $649. All OLED models include an HDR OLED 7.4in screen (a slight increase over the original 7in display from the LCD models), and that's not the only change that the OLED models will feature. On their official page for the new OLED consoles, Valve has listed the full hardware specs for the devices, and the OLED ones come with some quality of life hardware revisions compared to the LCD models. The most important hardware changes are:
  • Wi-Fi 6E, which will offer faster WiFi downloads. The original models came with WiFi 5.
  • 50Whr battery; 3-12 hours of gameplay (content-dependent). For comparison, the original LCD models had a 40Whr battery, giving the OLED models a 30%-50% improvement in battery life when put together with the OLED screen and its lesser use of power compared to LCDs.
  • Updated thermals and bigger fan, giving more stable and cooler gameplay
  • 5% lighter (-30g) compared to the LCD models, due to the new HDR OLED screen.
These are the final specs for the Steam Deck OLED models, and to add to the announcement, Valve is also offering a limited edition Steam Deck 1TB OLED with a translucent black and red design, going for $679 and available on November 16th, only for Canada and the United States.

:arrow: Source

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree 100% but some people have so much discretionary income they are just looking for things to throw it at
The LCD got a 1080p display for around $150 a few months ago so I see no reason why someone could come up with some type of kit at a lower cost plus selling it you'd probably just get around $250 because even GameStop has refurbs around $300. I've got the money I just dot see the MSRP making any sense lol. Unless you don't already own one.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neato price cuts

If I could figure out why anyone would want this thing I would buy one (do people really bring it outside of their homes?)

As for now I'll continue to enjoy my PC
A ton of people do. If you're traveling, it's great for a plane ride, hotel, etc.

But mostly I like to be able to sit and play next to family, regardless of where or what they are doing or if the TV is occupied. If you live alone that's probably a non-issue, but it makes a big difference for someone like myself.

I prefer to own games on PC over console for a myriad of obvious reasons, and the Steam Deck completely removed the dilemma of "Do I buy on Switch for portability, or PC for better graphics, modding, etc?" There's no reason for me to buy anything on consoles anymore unless they are exclusive.*

* To be fair, the Steam Deck doesn't play EVERY PC game, so exclusions do apply. But the vast majority of the ones I would consider playing with a controller over a mouse and keyboard do work.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my Deck a year ago and upgraded it to 1TB then too

no regrets

I would be a bit bummed if I got one recently though.. given this seems like a really really nice upgrade

Reactions: Xzi

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Neato price cuts

If I could figure out why anyone would want this thing I would buy one (do people really bring it outside of their homes?)

I got a used 64g model, somewhat skeptical. Honestly I’ve fallen in love with it. I put a 1TB SSD in it, and really enjoy lounging in bed or on the couch playing, picking up from cloud saves where I left off on the PC. I don’t take it outside my home, but I just enjoy not having to sit at a desk to play it.

Reactions: Xzi and Marc_LFD

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No advantage to running windows, as opposed to the Valve OS? I’m hoping Nvidia eventually releases their own handheld PC. The specs and reliability of the hardware could be out of this world great.
Game Pass, anti-cheat compatibility with specific titles, and mod compatibility. But I've personally worked around all that.

I wish they did, but that'll probably be something like a modded Switch 2. ;)
Post automatically merged:

Curious if they did anything about the fan noise.
Yes. Larger fan that keeps it cooler while working less, alongside the smaller SoC die. Much quieter as a result.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Neato price cuts

I play it in bed, I play ir when I go on holiday, I play it when I spend days with my in-laws.

SMNFXCN

fox-raccoon hybrid
Trophies
Website
simonfoxcoon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
There's no trade in program, according to a user on Reddit. Although when I asked Steam Support about a trade-in, and covering the cost of the difference between the models myself, I got told my steam deck is over a year old and they wouldn't refund it. Not sure if bot response/copypaste but a human name was attached to it.

This sucks. I wanted the 1tb limited edition model, offering my excellent condition device for store credit. And now that they slashed the prices of the existing LCD models, nobody will want to buy an LCD for close to those prices....

So it's like I'll have to bear half of the price plus tax just to upgrade. But that's if I can get the LE version because it'll probably be sold out in an instant and be scalped to hell :3
The non LE version is cheaper but not by much. Valve why are you like this.

OLED aside a lot of the changes are worth it. Too many to list but there's stuff there that hasn't been mentioned by Valve but some reviewers, like wake via bluetooth.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As a owner of asus rog ally, the power is fundamental for the games, all games run on asus (with low settings) but on Steam deck is another thing.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Not gonna lie, I'm a bit frustrated. They basically pulled a Nintendo saying how they didn't have any new iteration planned. I bought mine literally 2 days ago and I can't return it because I'm not from the US and had to buy it from a reseller.
This really sucks...

Really makes no sense to sell it just over OLED, just think about all those who waited and waited then valves all like lol we have a new display give us $500.

It's not just a new display, man. Literally 7% performance gain and 30-50% more battery. Plus other very very welcomed QoL changes aswell.

Last edited by jomaper,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Neato price cuts

I've had one almost since release (well, whenever they actually delivered it to me) and regarding this I can say:
- Yes, I take it out of my home, but usually only when I travel/vacations. On a normal day/commute I don't.
- On normal days I use it quite a bit, but for the classic and stereotypical lying in the couch while playing, or during toilet pause.

To be honest, I use it a lot for just that. But I would say I perhaps use my PC more often.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not just a new display, man. Literally 7% performance gain and 30-50% more battery. Plus other very very welcomed QoL changes aswell.

That is best cast scenario. I wouldn't buy it expecting that across all games. In demanding ones (CP2077, Control) it's barely 1 FPS more. An extra 30 mins battery life is nothing to sniff at though, pretty impressive.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies if I missed it, but the new Deck also has a longer power cable (still 40w), now 2.5m in length, compared to 1.5m.

More notabley, they also have a 6nm APU, vs a 7nm APU. I doubt much has changed except for power draw and thermals, contributing to the information provided, related to heat/thermals and lower battery drain.

The top 1TB OLED, also has a startup movie/splash, which is nothing special, considering you can add you own (good that Valve aren't like other companies and lock you out or milk you for silly things)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto