Valve announces new OLED Steam Decks with up to 1TB internal storage and some hardware revisions

deck.png

Valve has announced today a new revision for their hybrid console, the Steam Deck, with HDR OLED screens, more internal storage and way better hardware than the original releases, as well as price cuts to the original LCD models of the Deck.

To start off, the Steam Deck LCD models will have their price reduced according to the following:
  • 64GB Model - $349 (Originally $399)
  • 256GB Model - $399 (Originally $529)
  • 512GB - $449 (Originally $649)
According to some outlets, Valve is planning to discontinue both the original 64GB LCD model, as well as the 512GB model to focus on both the new OLED 512GB and 1TB models, as well as the the base 256GB LCD model with its reduced price of $399 (which is what the original 64GB model was priced for on release).

The new OLED models have two iterations, the 512GB model going for $549, and the 1TB model for $649. All OLED models include an HDR OLED 7.4in screen (a slight increase over the original 7in display from the LCD models), and that's not the only change that the OLED models will feature. On their official page for the new OLED consoles, Valve has listed the full hardware specs for the devices, and the OLED ones come with some quality of life hardware revisions compared to the LCD models. The most important hardware changes are:
  • Wi-Fi 6E, which will offer faster WiFi downloads. The original models came with WiFi 5.
  • 50Whr battery; 3-12 hours of gameplay (content-dependent). For comparison, the original LCD models had a 40Whr battery, giving the OLED models a 30%-50% improvement in battery life when put together with the OLED screen and its lesser use of power compared to LCDs.
  • Updated thermals and bigger fan, giving more stable and cooler gameplay
  • 5% lighter (-30g) compared to the LCD models, due to the new HDR OLED screen.
These are the final specs for the Steam Deck OLED models, and to add to the announcement, Valve is also offering a limited edition Steam Deck 1TB OLED with a translucent black and red design, going for $679 and available on November 16th, only for Canada and the United States.

:arrow: Source

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My deck is over a year by now and it has plenty of use (I carry my deck and switch with me on a daily basis), while the OLED and improved battery are a massive plus for me, I cannot justify replacing my 512gb just for that. I did replace my v2 switch for an OLED Pokemon one, but there were a lot of discounts and promos going on (last year's black friday, got two free games and a 50€ discount).

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Announced not even a week after I received my Deck from a PAX Aus giveaway...

(Not that I'd even be able to get this anyway, nor afford it. They still don't ship to Australia!)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The link on first post redirects to steam shop in my country (Spain) and shows prices as:
LCD - 419€
OLED 512 - 569€
OLED 1T - 679€
And shows availability 16 november for new models.
Eh, might as well just spend a bit more and go for the 1TB for €679.
Post automatically merged:

Not for the cool limited edition
That's a bummer.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Little surprised they're not going for a lot more power, given that's what the competition has over the Deck to begin with.
I think Valve did release a comment saying a true successor is in the works that will be a generational leap, but it's a few years off. Guess they're just putting this out there in the meantime to address the most common complaint of the base system in its screen.

Edit -
Found the quotes:
Valve to IGN said:
I don't know. It'll be a while. I think it'll be quite a while. We don't have any kind of set date. I think we're going to wait for the technology to present itself in a way that we find interesting and for the team to really want to make that leap. We're very, very, very proud of this version of Steam Deck and this is it. This is the one that we're the most happy with and we think customers will be too. So we're thinking about Steam Deck 2 at all times, but I think we're so satisfied here that this is really the kind of high end of what we wanted to do.
Valve to Polygon said:
Although Steam Deck is super successful, it's still very early for handheld gaming. There's still a lot of work to be done. We don't see ourselves as achieving all of our goals any time soon. There are multiple years ahead of us.

Reactions: Xzi

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
1 TB is still not enough for games. I suggest 6 TB or above are best ever for games. Try get 8 TB NVMe SSD install on new OLED Steam Deck should be enough for most games.

I already know 61 TB SSD (M.2 to U.2 adapter) for old Steam deck and it's really great but too much money for that.

61.44 TB SSD mod! – Enthusiasts showcase the versatility of Valve’s Steam Deck

https://overclock3d.net/news/storag...howcase-the-versatility-of-valves-steam-deck/

My computer desktop had 6 TB Western Blue Digital hard drive is for tons of games without problems. Still using Windows 7 and it's rocking solid for many years give zero problems for me so far. Because 6 TB and above are new standard right now for everyday gaming. B-)

Last edited by console,

psbernitz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They don't release a new soc for obvious reasons, you see how the ROG ally has a higher refresh rate and higher resolution but to enjoy demanding games you have to dial down all to 720p 60 hz.
A new steam deck 2 would obviously demand 1080p 120hz gaming
But the deck verified system has an almost console like prestige, so they know they can not make any steam deck 2 until the soc for 1080p 120 hz gaming is ready, not like ROG ally where power is still limited

Reactions: Mike_77712 and Xzi

CharlesDeGaulle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, yes, YES !
1699641960065.png

I guess it's time to open the wallet again...I'm such a sucker for valve now...
SD is everything I ever wanted from a PC or a console.

But only the 1To has tempered anti reflect glass ? That's low XD
1To is waaaaay to big imo, 512Go was just fine, just put your 100Go AAA one or two at a time and you still have plenty of room for your XXth/00' library.

Now for real, this has gotten me quite interested and will probably buy one eventually. It even has analog triggers! Awesome!

And you know what ?
They work just fine when emulating mario sunshine (irony ? Looking at you NS lazy ports).

Glad all my 80€ NS joy cons are drifting, SD all the way baby.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is going to rival Nintendo for sure. It has such amazing features and enhancements compared to the latter Steam Deck, which is totally a great steal.
Honestly yeah. Even though Valve themselves stated they're not really competing with anyone, this is the one device that is really pushing against the Nintendo handhelds in regards to that cornered market. It's the main one I see being compared the most to the Switch right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto