AYANEO announces new REMAKE line of devices, includes AYANEO FLIP DS, mini PCs and retro handheld

ayaneo retro.jpeg

During a livestream today, AYANEO, the company known to make handheld gaming PCs, has announced a new line of products: the AYANEO REMAKE. Included within this line are previously-announced products such as the AYANEO Slide and the AYANEO FLIP DS. It is the first time that we were provided official details of the latter and AYANEO said that the device will be equipped with an optical finger mouse and a new cooling system tailored for the flip design. More details about the AYANEO FLIP is expected to be shared in about two months' time.

flip ds.jpeg

In addition to those known devices, AYANEO also announced some new products. These include mini PCs with retro-inspired designs, the Retro Mini PC AM01 and Retro Mini PC AM02, with more details coming later this month. The AYANEO Pocket DMG was also announced, which will be the second device from the company focused on retro systems emulation after the AYANEO Pocket Air. But unlike the latter, the Pocket DMG will sport a vertical orientation akin to the original GameBoy. Finally, AYANEO announced AYANEO Retro Power Bank, a power bank with an SNES-inspired design. However, details about its capacity and availability weren't provided.

mini pc 1.jpeg

mini pc 2.jpeg pocket dmg.jpeg ayaneo power bank.jpeg
It seems like AYANEO is keen on expanding its product line and establishing itself as a competitor on the handheld gaming and PC market. In fact, its stream focused on the REMAKE line comes less than a day after Steam's announcement of the Steam Deck OLED. Having more options and competition on the market will be good news for handheld gaming enthusiasts and it might be worth keeping an eye out on these products.

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The first actual retro handheld for DS. Pretty cool! The only alternatives were foldables phones with a grip controller, which wasn't ideal. However I doubt the utility of that much power into such form factor. Playing DS and 3DS games sounds neat but who even want to play AAA games on such a device?

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The first actual retro handheld for DS. Pretty cool! The only alternatives were foldables phones with a grip controller, which wasn't ideal. However I doubt the utility of that much power into such form factor. Playing DS and 3DS games sounds neat but who even want to play AAA games on such a device?
...Isn't the first retro DS handheld, the DS itself by now?

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
...Isn't the first retro DS handheld, the DS itself by now?
The DS is severly limited by its power, even 16 bits consoles struggle on it.
The 3DS is a bit better, it can barely reach PS1 or N64 emulation.
This console is more versatile since it can play Windows game, but I would argue the power packed is way overkill. I would love this form factor with Android and a mid range SoC, kinda like a Retroid Pocket but with two screens.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
a surface duo with snapdragon 855 will emulate most ds/3ds games perfectly and at a fraction of their cost.

got my surface duo 256gb version for 275e

I wish I had the accessibility you guys have over there with this, since I have wanted a Surface for a while.
The Surface is stupidly expensive here, it costs like $3000-5000 here, i kid you not.

why pay like $1200 for one of the typical chinese pc handhelds when the steam deck tends to offer more for significantly less?
The Deck does NOT offer more for less. Not at all.
My sister got an Ayaneo, and it's definitely leagues better than the mainstream US portable PCs (RoG, Lenovo, Steam).

And they are actually available over here with no taxes (some indiegogo magic), unlike the above, for which I'd have to pay 102% extra for tax+shipping to get.

Reactions: CharlesDeGaulle

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Deck does NOT offer more for less. Not at all.
My sister got an Ayaneo, and it's definitely leagues better than the mainstream US portable PCs (RoG, Lenovo, Steam).

And they are actually available over here with no taxes (some indiegogo magic), unlike the above, for which I'd have to pay 102% extra for tax+shipping to get.
in like every other country it's basically more for less, all the other expensive handhelds offer IPS high refresh rate for like $1000+, the steam deck does oled high refresh rate at like half the price

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
in like every other country it's basically more for less, all the other expensive handhelds offer IPS high refresh rate for like $1000+, the steam deck does oled high refresh rate at like half the price
I think the new wave of $700 handhelds have shaken things up a bit. I'd argue both the Legion Go and Ally have just as much value as the Deck, especially when you factor in the screens (1600p 144Hz on Legion Go and 120hz VRR on Ally) and the additional power. With the top tier OLED Deck being $649 they're about as good as a competitor as you can get.

Even owning an Ally (and having previously owned a Deck before it) I'm super excited for the Flip DS. AYANEO's stuff costs more but it is quality, I'm glad they're at least adjusting to the competition and adding something extra to justify their prices. Surely won't be for everybody, but it doesn't really need to be. I'm just happy to see so much going on in the space lol

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the new wave of $700 handhelds have shaken things up a bit. I'd argue both the Legion Go and Ally have just as much value as the Deck, especially when you factor in the screens (1600p 144Hz on Legion Go and 120hz VRR on Ally) and the additional power. With the top tier OLED Deck being $649 they're about as good as a competitor as you can get.
that's significantly more reasonable than the ~$2000 shenanigans companies like GPD keep putting out

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that's significantly more reasonable than the ~$2000 shenanigans companies like GPD keep putting out
Yeah both GPD and AYA either need to be coming down in price for the mass appeal (AYA have done this to some extent with their Geek variants) or need to be doing something more to justify the price. I don't mind paying more if it's a unique thing.

Reactions: Latiodile

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People need to realize this is unique for China entering the dual screen market. It's a updated device for ds emulation with other options. This isn't ewaste it's a good way for people to experience a new way to emulate ds.
Meh, the GBA compared to DS blows it away unless China really loves the DS.

I won't deny that DS has good games, but the 2 screens gimmick was a bit annoying and unnecessary.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, the GBA compared to DS blows it away unless China really loves the DS.

I won't deny that DS has good games, but the 2 screens gimmick was a bit annoying and unnecessary.
A 128gbs of ram is unnecessary but people own it. It's still a good revision instead of buying used crap on eBay to play DS. Hopefully the MSRP isn't $500+

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aya neo air was fine.

Only downside ? Its dumb UI speaks to me in chinese and W10 has so many compatibility issues with oldies...
I should never have tried steam OS, damn you valve.
Post automatically merged:

I generally meet one new Steam deck or GPD Win user every year in my daily train.
I can speak hours with these dudes, they are generally very dedicated players.

Even ticket controllers are funny "What, playing starcraft/MGS5/HoMM3 on the go ? No way, gimme that"
And then I discuss video games with them aaaaall the way home.

On the contrary, "normal" people are still glued to their stupid phones and shitty android games, it makes me sad.
I'd love to have a train ride just talking about HoMM3 with a stranger that sounds so cool 🤩

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Aya neo air was fine.

Only downside ? Its dumb UI speaks to me in chinese and W10 has so many compatibility issues with oldies...
I should never have tried steam OS, damn you valve.
The only reason it has problems with oldies is cause most companies use portrait screens configured to landscape rather then actually using landscape screens and this is the problem with older games. You need to wrap them into a directx10/11 (i think 9 even) to get around those errors.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the Flip DS is cool but obviously not for actual DS emulation, any phone made in the past decade can do that. It'd be cool to see how the touchscreen can be used for PC games if they actually make software for it

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the Flip DS is cool but obviously not for actual DS emulation, any phone made in the past decade can do that. It'd be cool to see how the touchscreen can be used for PC games if they actually make software for it
judging by the aspect ratio, 3ds games are also a fit, and 3ds games are a lot harder to run

outside of mods I don't think any game will support a secondary screen like this, unless the screen can be adapted into one of those screens those fancy Logitech keyboards had

MintyForSure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While all of these devices do look really cool, and AYANEO does make quality products (as far as I can remember), the issue more lies in price and what you get for it. Because they sort of have a bad rep with price outweighing what you get for it.

But also as a HUGE DS fan I think the Flip DS would be cool, but since its seemingly an android handheld, it makes me wonder how they'll execute both screens since Android is optimized to use *one* screen.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While all of these devices do look really cool, and AYANEO does make quality products (as far as I can remember), the issue more lies in price and what you get for it. Because they sort of have a bad rep with price outweighing what you get for it.

But also as a HUGE DS fan I think the Flip DS would be cool, but since its seemingly an android handheld, it makes me wonder how they'll execute both screens since Android is optimized to use *one* screen.
Two-screened Android devices do exist with the LG Wing and Surface Duo coming to mind. I’d certainly be possible, but likely far more work than a dual-screened Windows device.

Reactions: MintyForSure

CharlesDeGaulle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The only reason it has problems with oldies is cause most companies use portrait screens configured to landscape rather then actually using landscape screens and this is the problem with older games. You need to wrap them into a directx10/11 (i think 9 even) to get around those errors.

Exact, when it wasn't from the OS, the issue often was from the screen.
Even third party softs could be needed sometimes.

Then I used steamOS and all theses problems were solved, plus easy keybindings, it's Gabe's
mr-bean.gif

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exact, when it wasn't from the OS, the issue often was from the screen.
Even third party softs could be needed sometimes.

Then I used steamOS and all theses problems were solved, plus easy keybindings, it's Gabe's
mr-bean.gif
I will mention the Ally uses a landscape screen, so it does stand out a bit in that regard alongside its high refresh rate and VRR.

Reactions: CharlesDeGaulle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch