Dual-screen handheld gaming PC AYANEO Flip DS "leaked"

aya flip.png

Handheld gaming device manufacturer AYANEO is further expanding its catalogue with creative options. After its first Android device, the Pocket Air, the company is making a Nintendo DS-like clamshell handheld PC with two screens, the AYANEO Flip DS. The news come from online outlet liliputing.com which shared the news and first images of the device that the company itself sent in an attempted planted leak. The company's CEO followed the announcement with a post of the images shared here on Weibo.

While details are limited, the report notes that the AYANEO Flip DS will feature a main 7" display with a 120 Hz refresh rate and an AMD Ryzen 7 7840U processor with Radeon 780M integrated graphics. In addition to serving as a virtual keyboard area, the second screen could actually be a use case for DS emulation, although AYANEO hasn't provided details about the second screen's potentials.

There will also be a AYANEO Flip KB model with the same design but with a physical keyboard instead of a second screen. A release date for these models hasn't been announced but AYANEO devices usually start with a crowdfunding campaign and we can expect one for the Flip models in the coming months/early next year.

aya flip 2.jpg

:arrow: SOURCE

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see that.

You know, as we can learn from GB, GBC and GBA systems already, 3DS consoles will eventually run out. It may take two or three decades, but there will be a time when it's not that easy anymore to get a working 3DS. I'm sure I can fix you up with one in 2043, but it might cost you a good 600 bucks. A thousand if you want a rarely used Animal Crossing New 3DS.

Anyway, I do hope there will be some kind of "real deal in new coating" like with the Analogue line of products at some point in the not-so-near future. If it simulates the real hardware down to the cycle and reads original games, that's a huge plus in my book. For those emulator consoles I share your point. Even though there may be a certain demand, it feels off. Though I do have to say that playing 3DS games with a higher resolution does make for a welcome difference.
Dude in 2043 VR will be so good and compact you wont need anymore physical hardware - you can just have a virtual looking 3DS, and emulation will be near perfect with the processing power.

• Haha
Reactions: Axido and pivix

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This actually makes me believes that Nintendo's next console will look like that - dual screens.

Before Apple or Nintendo released their new products, the first leak is always from the factory in China. These Chinese companies like to copy the design and built a cheap imitation before the real thing arrives.

• Haha
Reactions: 64bitmodels

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dude in 2043 VR will be so good and compact you wont need anymore physical hardware - you can just have a virtual looking 3DS, and emulation will be near perfect with the processing power.
I wonder if 20 years before the iPhone came out people thought it would be a great idea to play Atari and NES games using a touch screen. :unsure:
Seriously, though, Citra already runs decently on Quest 2 and 3, so it'd probably not even take that long.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely cool as a way to play DS and 3DS in higher resolutions but my New 3DS XL with MugenPower’s extended battery shits all over this for runtime and has perfect compatibility with games and can accept actual game cartridges for DS and 3DS.

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
I never understood the appeal of worse alternatives to original retro consoles...

No nostalgia factor.
Tinkering required just to make it work half as good as the original.
Ridden with bugs and annoyances.

Why not get a used original instead and have the full experience?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I never understood the appeal of worse alternatives to original retro consoles...

No nostalgia factor.

Some people don’t want the full experience, they just want warez. I’d rather have the full experience, tbh.

elezzar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe this will finally make people at Nintendo realize we need a new DS if it gets popular. Also it looks a little big but idk the dimensions

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No nostalgia factor.

The ability to play those games at much higher resolutions and framerates
being able to play PC games as a whole and not just Nintendo 3DS games
Much more control and customization of the system and what OS you can use.

Nostalgia isn't as important as simply having a better gaming experience.

Reactions: crea

Tams80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a bit concerning how AYA pump out all these device announcements. They do seem to have delivered so far, and if diversification like this can work, that's great. I'm not sure I'd crowdfund anything by them though.

As for this, the second display looks too small. I understand there are constraints, and that they might be going for a DS size, but it looks like wasted space. If there's any stylus support is also a concern.

Capacitive stylus works just like the DS stylus but on a cellphone screen.

No, they mostly don't.

All the DS and 3DS models, plus the Wii U, all used resistive touchscreens. While harder to use with a finger, it meant that anything hard could be used with them, with pressure sensitivity. If pointy, the stylus is very accurate too. That's not the case with capacitive touchscreens.

Only Nvidia have released anything with such accuracy and pressure sensitivity on a capacitive touchscreen without additional hardware (Wacom/N-Trig/MPP/USI). And they used it on one device and abandoned it.
Post automatically merged:

I don't think that they wan't you to think of this as a handheld PC, most likely they are targeting those who wan't a DS+3DS emulation machine that actually makes sense.

DS and 3DS is not ideal on most devices, I mean is works but it's kinda sucky due to the form factor.

The best DS and 3DS emulation is on a Fold, ideally 3 or later due to the S Pen.

For physical controls it does mean attaching one of those clamp/grip controllers, which aren't great and few fit the Folds.

And not to mention the cost of a Fold (even if it's your main phone).

Reactions: 64bitmodels

idkwhereisthisname

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
idkwhereisthisname.github.io
XP
Country
Italy

Handheld gaming device manufacturer AYANEO is further expanding its catalogue with creative options. After its first Android device, the Pocket Air, the company is making a Nintendo DS-like clamshell handheld PC with two screens, the AYANEO Flip DS. The news come from online outlet liliputing.com which shared the news and first images of the device that the company itself sent in an attempted planted leak. The company's CEO followed the announcement with a post of the images shared here on Weibo.

While details are limited, the report notes that the AYANEO Flip DS will feature a main 7" display with a 120 Hz refresh rate and an AMD Ryzen 7 7840U processor with Radeon 780M integrated graphics. In addition to serving as a virtual keyboard area, the second screen could actually be a use case for DS emulation, although AYANEO hasn't provided details about the second screen's potentials.

There will also be a AYANEO Flip KB model with the same design but with a physical keyboard instead of a second screen. A release date for these models hasn't been announced but AYANEO devices usually start with a crowdfunding campaign and we can expect one for the Flip models in the coming months/early next year.

:arrow: SOURCE
i see, but imo that keyboard looks kinda tiny so if im ever going to get one, im going with the one that has a bottom screen

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
3DS firmware 11.17.0-50 is still hackable if you have a N3DS or your NNID has a license for Pokémon Picross, else you can get a flashcard for cheap. I personally don't see the point in this, given:
- I own a 3DS and have a NNID with Pokémon Picross
- I own a Steam Deck for the handheld PC aspect
Also, Aya Neo has a reputation for churning out model after model, almost immediately dropping support for them and having virtually no customer support.

So, my recommendation for anyone that's considering this - get a Steam Deck and a 3DS. The 3DS can ruń both 3DS and DS games and even though Nintendo dropped support for it, the homebrew community is still active and working to replace online services, while the Steam Deck has already gone through enough hardware and software revisions that it's sure to be at least somewhat stable. Also, Valve's support is pretty generous with the free RMAs if anything goes wrong.

Last edited by Ondrashek06,
Reactions: idkwhereisthisname

trepp0

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This actually makes me believes that Nintendo's next console will look like that - dual screens.

Before Apple or Nintendo released their new products, the first leak is always from the factory in China. These Chinese companies like to copy the design and built a cheap imitation before the real thing arrives.
This… this will not be cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...