Dual-screen handheld gaming PC AYANEO Flip DS "leaked"

aya flip.png

Handheld gaming device manufacturer AYANEO is further expanding its catalogue with creative options. After its first Android device, the Pocket Air, the company is making a Nintendo DS-like clamshell handheld PC with two screens, the AYANEO Flip DS. The news come from online outlet liliputing.com which shared the news and first images of the device that the company itself sent in an attempted planted leak. The company's CEO followed the announcement with a post of the images shared here on Weibo.

While details are limited, the report notes that the AYANEO Flip DS will feature a main 7" display with a 120 Hz refresh rate and an AMD Ryzen 7 7840U processor with Radeon 780M integrated graphics. In addition to serving as a virtual keyboard area, the second screen could actually be a use case for DS emulation, although AYANEO hasn't provided details about the second screen's potentials.

There will also be a AYANEO Flip KB model with the same design but with a physical keyboard instead of a second screen. A release date for these models hasn't been announced but AYANEO devices usually start with a crowdfunding campaign and we can expect one for the Flip models in the coming months/early next year.

aya flip 2.jpg

:arrow: SOURCE

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is so overkill and so cool. I can't imagine I'd have a use for what is effectively an ROG Ally in DS form instead of just a 3DS... But it's definitely cool.
.... playing DS games?

If/when your DS/3DS eventually give out this sounds like a great replacement. hopefully the bottom screen functions closer to the DS bottom screen, where touching it with literally anything will enable an input. if it worked like a smartphone that would suck as it would make stylus use harder.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
.... playing DS games?

If/when your DS/3DS eventually give out this sounds like a great replacement. hopefully the bottom screen functions closer to the DS bottom screen, where touching it with literally anything will enable an input. if it worked like a smartphone that would suck as it would make stylus use harder.
Capacitive stylus works just like the DS stylus but on a cellphone screen.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.... playing DS games?

If my 3DS gave out, i'd rather replace it with another 3DS. You can't beat natively playing your games, plus I love the 3D effect and see no indication that this will have that either. I mean this is cool for people that want this specifically, but this would never be my 3DS replacement

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If my 3DS gave out, i'd rather replace it with another 3DS. You can't beat natively playing your games, plus I love the 3D effect and see no indication that this will have that either. I mean this is cool for people that want this specifically, but this would never be my 3DS replacement
I can see that.

You know, as we can learn from GB, GBC and GBA systems already, 3DS consoles will eventually run out. It may take two or three decades, but there will be a time when it's not that easy anymore to get a working 3DS. I'm sure I can fix you up with one in 2043, but it might cost you a good 600 bucks. A thousand if you want a rarely used Animal Crossing New 3DS.

Anyway, I do hope there will be some kind of "real deal in new coating" like with the Analogue line of products at some point in the not-so-near future. If it simulates the real hardware down to the cycle and reads original games, that's a huge plus in my book. For those emulator consoles I share your point. Even though there may be a certain demand, it feels off. Though I do have to say that playing 3DS games with a higher resolution does make for a welcome difference.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see that.

You know, as we can learn from GB, GBC and GBA systems already, 3DS consoles will eventually run out. It may take two or three decades, but there will be a time when it's not that easy anymore to get a working 3DS. I'm sure I can fix you up with one in 2043, but it might cost you a good 600 bucks. A thousand if you want a rarely used Animal Crossing New 3DS.

Anyway, I do hope there will be some kind of "real deal in new coating" like with the Analogue line of products at some point in the not-so-near future. If it simulates the real hardware down to the cycle and reads original games, that's a huge plus in my book. For those emulator consoles I share your point. Even though there may be a certain demand, it feels off. Though I do have to say that playing 3DS games with a higher resolution does make for a welcome difference.
Well, tell ya what, if this thing is the strongest alternative for the 3DS in another 2 or 3 decades when my 3DS finally dies entirely (don't see it happening even that soon honestly, my family's old NES from 87 still runs like a dream to this day), then yeah maybe I'll consider this thing. But I'd be shocked if at that point there aren't far better alternatives to consider instead.

Reactions: Jonna and Axido

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
This is clearly intended for two emulators, nothing more nothing less, but they could've made it much more slimmer and lighter by using a Snapdragon 8Gen2 instead of putting a pc inside a 3ds shell

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh BOY do I want one lol, two screen tech is always way too fun. The second screen does look a little smaller than I’d probably like, but there’s always decent use cases beyond Citra and Cemu.

Edit:
It is an amusing thought that this couldn’t actually be used for DS games as things stand, since no emulators actually support multi window play outside of DeSmuME on Mac? Something like this could spur such features to be added though.

Last edited by Scarlet,

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
For the DS/3DS, just stick to using the actual consoles. The emulation scene for these systems aren't as great as the handhelds and the consoles prior to it. I personally don't know why either. The only reason to get this is for having a portable PC but at a similar form factor to the DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch