Valve announces new OLED Steam Decks with up to 1TB internal storage and some hardware revisions

deck.png

Valve has announced today a new revision for their hybrid console, the Steam Deck, with HDR OLED screens, more internal storage and way better hardware than the original releases, as well as price cuts to the original LCD models of the Deck.

To start off, the Steam Deck LCD models will have their price reduced according to the following:
  • 64GB Model - $349 (Originally $399)
  • 256GB Model - $399 (Originally $529)
  • 512GB - $449 (Originally $649)
According to some outlets, Valve is planning to discontinue both the original 64GB LCD model, as well as the 512GB model to focus on both the new OLED 512GB and 1TB models, as well as the the base 256GB LCD model with its reduced price of $399 (which is what the original 64GB model was priced for on release).

The new OLED models have two iterations, the 512GB model going for $549, and the 1TB model for $649. All OLED models include an HDR OLED 7.4in screen (a slight increase over the original 7in display from the LCD models), and that's not the only change that the OLED models will feature. On their official page for the new OLED consoles, Valve has listed the full hardware specs for the devices, and the OLED ones come with some quality of life hardware revisions compared to the LCD models. The most important hardware changes are:
  • Wi-Fi 6E, which will offer faster WiFi downloads. The original models came with WiFi 5.
  • 50Whr battery; 3-12 hours of gameplay (content-dependent). For comparison, the original LCD models had a 40Whr battery, giving the OLED models a 30%-50% improvement in battery life when put together with the OLED screen and its lesser use of power compared to LCDs.
  • Updated thermals and bigger fan, giving more stable and cooler gameplay
  • 5% lighter (-30g) compared to the LCD models, due to the new HDR OLED screen.
These are the final specs for the Steam Deck OLED models, and to add to the announcement, Valve is also offering a limited edition Steam Deck 1TB OLED with a translucent black and red design, going for $679 and available on November 16th, only for Canada and the United States.

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neato price cuts

If I could figure out why anyone would want this thing I would buy one (do people really bring it outside of their homes?)

As for now I'll continue to enjoy my PC

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neato price cuts

If I could figure out why anyone would want this thing I would buy one (do people really bring it outside of their homes?)

I literally want it so I can lay down and play games. I have to sit at my desk for 8 hours a day for work already.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, I was going to look at the Legion Go, but uhhh… This has my interest..
That Lenovo Go looks pretty awesome, but I'd personally choose the device that has unparalleled community support.

I'll most likely upgrade and give my current Deck to my dad.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next-gen Switch has arrived rather early. :P

Now for real, this has gotten me quite interested and will probably buy one eventually. It even has analog triggers! Awesome!
Post automatically merged:

What a cool son you are.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That Lenovo Go looks pretty awesome, but I'd personally choose the device that has unparalleled community support.

Kinda where I’m at.. I don’t trust Lenovo for support in any fashion…

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I didn't already have one I would absolutely get the OLED version. The screen is the one thing I don't like about it, and I use mine quite frequently. Just recently played through FNV and FO3 on it and it works great.
Neato price cuts

Personally I use mine on the couch when I don't want to play in my office chair, and to have it docked on my 4k TV without me having to run a cable and everything there.
I've also used it while traveling where I just bring a wireless mouse + kb and then have a full laptop replacement on hand.

It's definitely not for playing outside in the garden or in a park, but it is very good for playing away from an office desk (but still near an outlet preferably).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So they pulled a Switch. No better specs but OLED and better battery.
Odds are that even Switch 2 doesn't measure up to Deck's hardware, so it's not really in need of a total upgrade. The other two changes people have been very vocal about.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Odds are that even Switch 2 doesn't measure up to Deck's hardware, so it's not really in need of a total upgrade. The other two changes people have been very vocal about.
I am actually hoping to see even a slight performance boost out of this refresh. I loved the ergonomics of the Deck when I had it. However, the competition offers just a bit more in overall performance.

Reactions: Xzi

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Detachable controllers ala Legion-Go would be awesome.

No Joy, same form-factor with permanently attached controllers according to this review by Sébastien

Oh crap, thumbnail has the dude's face prominently displayed, I find ltt annoying as hell...

Last edited by HellGhast,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I am actually hoping to see even a slight performance boost out of this refresh. I loved the ergonomics of the Deck when I had it. However, the competition offers just a bit more in overall performance.
IMO it's right about where it needs to be. Plays well-optimized next-gen games at 30+ FPS, whereas the poorly-optimized next-gen games don't get frame rates high enough to be playable on any portable hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto