Valve celebrates Half-Life's 25th Anniversary offering Half-Life 1 for free with brand new content and other discounts on Steam

The legendary influential and era defining first person shooter, Half-Life, is celebrating its 25th Anniversary today, and to commemorate the occasion, Valve has launched a bunch of new updates and discounts to anything Half-Life related on their own store, Steam, starting on November 17th, 2023 and ending November 21st, 2023.

To start off, Valve got the development team back together for an exclusive new interview as the team revisits the game and how it eventually shaped into how it is today. Additionally, Valve is currently offering for a limited time the original Half Life 1 FOR FREE on Steam, so those interested in reliving the title that defined a generation of gaming can do so without a dime. Valve is also offering discounts on Steam for everything Half-Life related, going from Half-Life 1 and its expansions like Blue Shift and Opposing Force, but also Half-Life 2 and its expansions are on a 90% discount right now with incredibly low prices ($0.99).

But the celebration doesn't end there!

Valve is also offering a brand new update for Half-Life 1 that adds a lot bugfixes and new content, ranging from previously exclusive content like the Uplink mini-campaign and the 3 multiplayer maps exclusive to Further Data, to previously removed content, like the original Valve into video, and the original alpha models of the hero, titled "Ivan the Space Biker" and "Proto-Barney" as multiplayer skins. Valve also added 4 brand new multiplayer maps, full Steam Deck support (now showing the game as Verified for the Deck), UI scaling support, gamepad config for controller support, Steam Networking support, a bunch of updated graphical settings (Widescreen, lighting fixes, texture filter options, Linux software rendering), and much, much more!

:arrow: Half-Life's 25th Anniversary message by Valve
:arrow: Half-Life's new content for its 25th Anniversary
:arrow: Get Half-Life 1 for free on Steam until Nov 21st

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I've read that Half Life was developed for the legendary Dreamcast (I downloaded the prototype), but for PC and especially an FPS you just can't beat playing an FPS on anywhere other than PC.

Playing FPS with two analog sticks is fine while with just one you're asking for trouble. 🤣

I do love the DC except playing shooters on it, friggin' buttons to control the camera is just outdated as hell.

Reactions: Xzi

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Recently I've read that Half Life was developed for the legendary Dreamcast (I downloaded the prototype), but for PC and especially an FPS you just can't beat playing an FPS on anywhere other than PC.

Playing FPS with two analog sticks is fine while with just one you're asking for trouble. 🤣

I do love the DC except playing shooters on it, friggin' buttons to control the camera is just outdated as hell.

IIRC though, it supports the DC KB/M.

• Love
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

alexfree

Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States

Buy a Dreamcast mouse and keyboard it supports it.. regardless I played the whole game on controller just fine.

• Love
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Oh I remember those times, when valve was cool.

Now it's just another huge corp doing huge corp things.

(New content for an old game is cool, even when coming from a huge corp).

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I remember those times, when valve was cool.

Now it's just another huge corp doing huge corp things.

(New content for an old game is cool, even when coming from a huge corp).
You make Valve sound like they don't care about their customers whatsoever, but they do.

Steam is awesome, the Steam Deck was an excellent idea of a handheld and the Deck OLED is going to be even better.

I seriously think I'll get one. Beats the competition and it's not eWaste or outdated as soon as it's out (*cough* Nintendo *cough*).

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This year we've had Quake 2, Rise of the Triad, and now Half-Life make a comeback. Couldn't be any happier.

(Also it getting Deck verified now is great as I only got my Deck a couple weeks ago)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I imagine if this drums up renewed interest, someone at valve can finally pitch a means to make a new Half Life game and have it happen.

From everything I've heard, it's not pitching new content that's the issue, it's building up and maintaining momentum.

Regardless, apparently they have been working on things e.g. Citadel, which may be HL related, but it's not HL3.

Everyone wants half-life 3... but when are we getting full-life hm?

But if Half Life is about the time it takes for something to decay, wouldn't we have already had full life and this is what it looked like?:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/half-life.com/images/halflife25/ivan_and_bbbbarney.jpg

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i wish they just ported it to current consoles imo it would have been better.

the only way to play half life 1 besides pc is the ps2 port, its wild they never ported the game to any other console imo.

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
You make Valve sound like they don't care about their customers whatsoever, but they do.

Steam is awesome, the Steam Deck was an excellent idea of a handheld and the Deck OLED is going to be even better.

I seriously think I'll get one. Beats the competition and it's not eWaste or outdated as soon as it's out (*cough* Nintendo *cough*).
The steam deck is the eWaste.Valve wishes,no,dreams of Switche's success.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto