Valve offering refurbished Steam Decks with a price cut

59bc77f7fd161e339e3d147a53f355b8b03fede2.png

Valve has been keeping up with constant updates and (small) revisions to their Steam Deck system, which has been quite popular in its sole year since the initial release, as well as keeping up with several bugfixes and updates to both their SteamOS and Proton software.

Continuing with their on going service, Valve has started offering refurbished Steam Deck with a price cut, and said price cuts are quite considerate, to say the least. Almost all refurbished variants of the Steam Deck, ranging from the basic standard 64GB model, up to the premium one of 512GB have a reduction in price of almost 20%, with the prices being as follows:

Original Steam Deck Price (USD)

Refurbished Steam Deck Price (USD)

Percentage

64GB model

$399

$319
20.05%

256GB model

$529

$419
20.79%

512GB model

$649

$519
20.03%

The price reduction for the standard model is $80, while for the premium model the amount saved up is $130. Valve also adds the following statement regarding their refurbished Decks:

Valve said:
Certified Refurbished

Each Certified Refurbished Steam Deck has been thoroughly tested to the same high standards as our retail units. Every device goes through a complete factory reset, software update, and an extensive examination involving over 100 tests at one of Valve's facilities. Among the tests are all controller inputs, the audio system, the screen, and internals. Battery health is also assessed to ensure proper functionality and longevity.

All refurbished units meet or even exceed the performance standards of new retail units. Although they may have minor cosmetic blemishes, they provide a reliable, high-quality gaming experience at a lower cost.

To add to this, the refurbished Decks come with a one year warranty for the device, the same offered for a brand new Steam Deck, as well as a refurbished power supply, and their carrying case with a Quick Start guide. Additionally to Valve's own refurbished service, GameStop is also offering and selling refurbished Steam Decks with similar price tags as the ones offered by Valve.

:arrow: Valve's Steam Deck Refurbished website
:arrow: GameStop's Steam Deck Refurbished website

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After the whole "refurbished, but not really" trend with that dk old- whatever their name was, I got skeptical of the idea of a refurbished Deck since Gamestop is doing it as well. But since it's from Valve also, then maybe it might actually be worth it for some people to pick one up.

The Deck continues to surprise me after 8 months with it. To the point I've sold my 3DS and am considering doing the same with my Vita and maybe Switch soon. The Steam library is excellent as well. Still can't believe I can play Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart on this thing

Reactions: Xzi

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
After the whole "refurbished, but not really" trend with that dk old- whatever their name was, I got skeptical of the idea of a refurbished Deck since Gamestop is doing it as well. But since it's from Valve also, then maybe it might actually be worth it for some people to pick one up.

The Deck continues to surprise me after 8 months with it. To the point I've sold my 3DS and am considering doing the same with my Vita and maybe Switch soon. The Steam library is excellent as well. Still can't believe I can play Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart on this thing
The Deck's that comes from Gamestop isn't Valve approved. It's just Gamestop refurbing them.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gotta admit it's pretty tempting as a backup device, especially since mine recently proved it works wonders as a console as well (meaning: I could just use both).
Also cool as a tinkering device (yeah, I'm too chicken to dare swap out hard drives on my current model) and a way to check steam's cloud saves.

hmmm....:unsure:

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't for the life of me figure out where on the OP Valve link I can purchase one of these things. :(

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't for the life of me figure out where on the OP Valve link I can purchase one of these things. :(
Assuming they're available in your country (I think they should be), there are three models to choose from just below the picture of the Deck with a screwdriver, and green "add to cart" buttons on the right. Though the 64GB variant appears to be sold out here.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
1691565712189.png

It's not available where I live but I can still see the "add to cart" button.

Reactions: Xzi

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It’s worth noting that in this case they’re refurbished by Valve themselves, so out of all the places out there they’d know how to get it “just right”. This pricing is very attractive, not bad!

Just a warning: Gamestop link leads to "GameStop Refurbished"

Looks like Valve data is going to get an extra boost. Should have taken me on that bet @Xzi.

The only Refurbished I do is Manufacturer's, with warranty, as a rule.

mgid_arc_imageassetref_shared.southpark.us.jpeg

Last edited by tabzer,

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are their ssd replaceable? If so, which one did you get? Mind Show us the Amazon link?
SABRENT Rocket 2230 NVMe 4.0 1TB High Performance PCIe 4.0 M.2 2230 SSD [SB-2130-1TB] https://a.co/d/8hY9a9Q

This one. Yeah you can replace em and it’s pretty easy. I put this one in mine and also have a 1 tb micro sd. That baby ain’t running out of space anytime soon

Reactions: leon315

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Bet or no, I can still laugh at you for believing there'd be a miracle bump in gaming on MacOS

I didn't suggest there'd be a miracle bump. That's silly and I even spent time on you, specifically, saying that wasn't going to happen. My rationale was that the initial excitement (boost) from the previous month's promotional sales would die down--enough for some users not play enough (burnout) to be picked up in next month's data. A reduction of %0.12 was the target.

It also says “Valve certified”, which is the relevant part here. If Valve is putting their stamp of approval on this, there’s a strong suggestion of OEM warranty.

You'll get a warranty, sure. But do you trust Gamestop to refurb to the same quality as Valve? I think there will be a greater chance for the Gamestop ones to break sooner after warranty expires. I think Gamestop might have more reliable secondhand, but I don't play with Gamestop at all.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
£279 is a ridiculous price for one of these from Valve themselves. I'm betting the 64GB model will not be in stock often.
you'd be correct. it seems to flutter between being able to order and being out of stock.

Who knew an 80 dollar price drop was enough to make people buy in?

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a very attractive reduction in price. Considering their statement on the consoles being "All refurbished units meet or even exceed the performance standards of new retail units."

I'm sceptical as to how they could exceed standards of a fresh from factory console, but this is an awesome thing that valve are doing. 20% off something that could be considered new by that definition is epic!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You'll get a warranty, sure. But do you trust Gamestop to refurb to the same quality as Valve? I think there will be a greater chance for the Gamestop ones to break sooner after warranty expires. I think Gamestop might have more reliable secondhand, but I don't play with Gamestop at all.
It’s tested and certified by Valve. Why wouldn’t I? Heck, chances are I’d be popping the unit open anyway - the one refurbisher I fully trust is myself.
Each Certified Refurbished Steam Deck has been thoroughly tested to the same high standards as our retail units. Every device goes through a complete factory reset, software update, and an extensive examination involving over 100 tests at one of Valve's facilities. Among the tests are all controller inputs, the audio system, the screen, and internals. Battery health is also assessed to ensure proper functionality and longevity.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It’s tested and certified by Valve. Why wouldn’t I? Heck, chances are I’d be popping the unit open anyway - the one refurbisher I fully trust is myself.

Good point on trusting yourself. How is it "'tested' and certified" by Valve if it's going to Gamestop's warehouses/workshops, though? The way I read it is "Gamestop refurbished" with Valve's stamp of approval. Is the testing done remotely or are Valve reps on site signing off on the work?

Last edited by tabzer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Might be messy but the flavor is worth the goo lol