Valve announces new OLED Steam Decks with up to 1TB internal storage and some hardware revisions

deck.png

Valve has announced today a new revision for their hybrid console, the Steam Deck, with HDR OLED screens, more internal storage and way better hardware than the original releases, as well as price cuts to the original LCD models of the Deck.

To start off, the Steam Deck LCD models will have their price reduced according to the following:
  • 64GB Model - $349 (Originally $399)
  • 256GB Model - $399 (Originally $529)
  • 512GB - $449 (Originally $649)
According to some outlets, Valve is planning to discontinue both the original 64GB LCD model, as well as the 512GB model to focus on both the new OLED 512GB and 1TB models, as well as the the base 256GB LCD model with its reduced price of $399 (which is what the original 64GB model was priced for on release).

The new OLED models have two iterations, the 512GB model going for $549, and the 1TB model for $649. All OLED models include an HDR OLED 7.4in screen (a slight increase over the original 7in display from the LCD models), and that's not the only change that the OLED models will feature. On their official page for the new OLED consoles, Valve has listed the full hardware specs for the devices, and the OLED ones come with some quality of life hardware revisions compared to the LCD models. The most important hardware changes are:
  • Wi-Fi 6E, which will offer faster WiFi downloads. The original models came with WiFi 5.
  • 50Whr battery; 3-12 hours of gameplay (content-dependent). For comparison, the original LCD models had a 40Whr battery, giving the OLED models a 30%-50% improvement in battery life when put together with the OLED screen and its lesser use of power compared to LCDs.
  • Updated thermals and bigger fan, giving more stable and cooler gameplay
  • 5% lighter (-30g) compared to the LCD models, due to the new HDR OLED screen.
These are the final specs for the Steam Deck OLED models, and to add to the announcement, Valve is also offering a limited edition Steam Deck 1TB OLED with a translucent black and red design, going for $679 and available on November 16th, only for Canada and the United States.

:arrow: Source

videogamefanatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really happy with my launch Deck. The changes here aren't big enough to actually justify an upgrade, but I'd whole heartedly recommend the 512GB OLED to anyone who doesn't have a Deck yet. For anyone one an very tight budget though, you still can't go wrong with the (now 256GB!) base model.

OLED + HDR + great battery life is already awesome. Throw in VRR and I actually would likely upgrade now, but Steam Deck 2 will have a generational performance leap so I have no doubt I'll buy that on day 1.

Reactions: Xzi

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is where we as people are like cash cows, with the vast amount of these devices now been thrown out to the market with very little to actually make them future proof in terms of them supposidly been pc gaming machines, yet theyre just barely able to run anything really thats released today.

now theyre starting to make slight revisions of them and people rush to buy them and it will end up like the mobile phone market where everyone will gladly replace them at will.

Bet any money we will see nintendo come in with their next gen been low end of these machines with its washed down U5 engine running its last gen zelda title with all the goodies our community already did before nintendo.

CharlesDeGaulle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
this is where we as people are like cash cows, with the vast amount of these devices now been thrown out to the market with very little to actually make them future proof in terms of them supposidly been pc gaming machines, yet theyre just barely able to run anything really thats released today.

now theyre starting to make slight revisions of them and people rush to buy them and it will end up like the mobile phone market where everyone will gladly replace them at will.

Bet any money we will see nintendo come in with their next gen been low end of these machines with its washed down U5 engine running its last gen zelda title with all the goodies our community already did before nintendo.

In some ways, Valve hijacked this niche market by simply cutting by half what china used to charge us for such devices.

Now that we have a consistent technology with real compatibility and performance, I feel like I owe Gabe and his engineers...
It's dumb I know, but playing real RTS on the go has been a dream of mine for so long (all hail PSP/VITA), I sincerely want to support them so they continue to deliver.

A slightly improved model with a fancy screen or limited edition is a really common marketing move since apple era.
About nintendo, whatever low end gimmicky toy they pull out from their basement, regarding how they awfully managed the drifting crisis while rebranding all their wiiU assets in a "sega nomad" (successful) rehash and DESTROYING the epic zelda franchise I used to love, well, even yarrr isn't appealing anymore.

Uninteresting sidestory n°142: yesterday I even tried for the first time gog's SETTLERS III on SteamOS and it ran immediately ! No D3D/revert screen/retrocompat issues, unbelievable.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Valve can't pull future technology out of the void, so I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic here. Nearly every handheld/portable system has been at least a generation back, if not two, in terms of graphical fidelity. The fact that Steam Deck can even hit 30 FPS on "next-gen" games, and thus is future-proof for this generation, is mind-blowing as someone whose first portable was the OG Game Boy.

I can't imagine trying to build a full desktop PC for $500 in today's market, that would barely cover the GPU. For last-gen console gamers who want to get into PC gaming for the first time, or for people with decade-old PCs looking to upgrade, the value proposition is tremendous. Obviously Valve stands to gain with more users on Steam, too, but that doesn't change the fact that its yet another consumer-friendly move on their part.

Nah, they made slight revisions because big revisions won't be viable for quite some time. I plan on keeping my LCD model, and the sales of LCD models will no doubt benefit from their price drop as well.

Reactions: Veho

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wayland has yet to get true HDR support so that is pretty useless as of rn. Nevertheless. I love that valve is pushing the platform forward and hdr is probably right around the corner!
Gamescope (the Wayland compositor made by Valve that's used in the Deck) already supports HDR and has for a while now. Valve isn't going to advertise a feature that doesn't even work.

Reactions: Ryab

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto