USB Loader GX going to blank screen on return to Wii Menu

cjbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I setup this Wii a few months ago with mods and USB Loader GX. Everything works fine, but not returning to the system menu from USB Loader GX...

Process:
  1. Turn on Wii
  2. Start USB Loader GX by launching the channel on the home menu
  3. Click on the Wii circular icon in bottom right corner
  4. Click Wii Menu
  5. Get stuck on black screen until hard power down is done
I've tried reinstalling USB Loader GX, installing older CIOS based off ones from another Wii I did a year ago, installed USB Loader GX r1271, installed Priiloader again... no joy.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
  1. Click on the Wii circular icon in bottom right corner
  2. Click Wii Menu
I'm a little lost here. What are you looking at & trying to load/activate ?
Are you loading a disc or loading from a USB Flash drive/HDD ?

Exiting (& saving) is usually done by game menu or auto-save, & if you exit in other ways = No saves.
Your phrasing sound more about booting a game.

Reactions: jeannotte

cjbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little lost here. What are you looking at & trying to load/activate ?
Are you loading a disc or loading from a USB Flash drive/HDD ?

Exiting (& saving) is usually done by game menu or auto-save, & if you exit in other ways = No saves.
Your phrasing sound more about booting a game.
My Wii boots up to the built-in Wii Menu. I launch USBLoaderGX manually but when I try to exit USBLoaderGX from its home screen, it goes blank. I’m not launching a game - they work fine.

The only issue is trying to return to the built-in Wii Menu from USBLoaderGX without launching a game.

cjbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what version of GX are you using??
I was running the latest but installed r1271 since that’s what I was running on another Wii just fine… no difference.

This thread seems similar except it’s the Homebrew button in USB Loader GX (right next to the Wii Menu one). Perhaps something has changed with one of the programs from Wii Guides setup guide that causes this issue. Weird that there are two instances where it causes GX to crash.

Last edited by cjbro,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What have you installed/changed lately (new apps, storage etc.) ?

Post a SysCheck or drag & drop into ModMii. It will detect what's wrong. Have a read about ModMii's features. XFlak knows all his shit (literally) ;)

Reactions: jeannotte and XFlak

Zapalli

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started getting a similar behavior. Everything was working fine, and then suddenly, when exiting wii games from USBLoader GX, the system crashes and does not return to USBLoader GX.

This only happens if autobooting USBLoaderGX from Priiloader ("return to" is also set to installed file).
The same happens if the "Return to" in USBLoaderGX settings is set to itself regardless of the return to setting in priiloader.

If I boot to System Menu first, then load USBLoaderGX everything works fine.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Priiloader, same thing. Also tried with a fresh copy of USBLoaderGX, same behavior.
I tried making a forwarder with ModMii and used that as the target for the Autoboot/Return To in Priiloader, but the issue persists.

I did update everything using ModMii as well, but this does not seem to make a difference.
Any ideas?

Reactions: cjbro

KokiKitsune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe try reinstalling usb loader gx?

I've tried reinstalling USB Loader GX, installing older CIOS based off ones from another Wii I did a year ago

When you mean older cIOS, do you mean like from an older version of d2x? If so, which version of d2x are you using?

Last edited by KokiKitsune,

cjbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe try reinstalling usb loader gx?

When you mean older cIOS, do you mean like from an older version of d2x? If so, which version of d2x are you using?
I’ve reinstalled USB Loader GX twice and even tried an older version that worked fine on another Wii. I am running d2x version 3.1 and also installed older cIOS from a previous version with no luck.

KokiKitsune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve reinstalled USB Loader GX twice and even tried an older version that worked fine on another Wii. I am running d2x version 3.1 and also installed older cIOS from a previous version with no luck.
U seem to be running that latest. Now I'm not entirely sure if you should've installed the older cIOS. I'll just leave it to the professionals.

Zapalli

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The strange thing is that, at least on my case, I made no changes from the working state to the non-working one. Just trying to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom (which btw is the second game that has not worked for me un USBLoader GX, the otherone being Forgotten Sands)

cjbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The strange thing is that, at least on my case, I made no changes from the working state to the non-working one. Just trying to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom (which btw is the second game that has not worked for me un USBLoader GX, the otherone being Forgotten Sands)
Hey I found the solution for me. I installed WiiFlow and used the ModMii installer again and it didn’t work still. So I backed up my hard drive, wiped it, reformatted it to FAT32 and MBR, copied it all over again, and it worked.

Try adding a game to a USB stick formatted in FAT32 and see if it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto