Possible to Disable the Wii's (De)Flicker Filter?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Razor83, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Razor83
    OP

Razor83 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2009
    Hi all,
    It doesnt appear to be very well known, but all fifth gen consoles plus the Wii use whats called a "flicker filter" (Sometimes also refered to as a "deflicker filter") to 'blur' the lines on 480i video signals. The filters original purpose was to prevent fine details from 'flickering' up and down by one line when displaying in interlaced mode (480i) on a CRT TV.

To quote the GC/Wii SDK:-
    Flicker filters made sense at the time due to CRT TV's being the primary display type. However nowadays flat panel displays are the norm, and they have to deinterlace 480i signals - so now the flicker filter is in fact detrimental to the video quality as it just 'blurs' multiple lines together resulting in a softer blurred looking image.

Now with a progessive signal (480p) the flicker filter should always be disabled, since there are no interlaced lines to flicker. However Nintendo did something odd - they instead created a new video mode that deliberately 'softens' the picture when in progressive scan mode.

This post from the Beyond3D Forums explains it:-
    Both the GameCube and Wii feature this flicker/softening filter, and certain games even allow you to turn the filter on or off in the options (Melee, Brawl and Pikmin 2 to name a few of them) On the GameCube you can use Swiss to disable the flicker filter, however on the Wii I have found no such option :(

Many backup loaders do give you the option to force the video mode, but they dont appear to give you the option to enable/disable the flicker/softness filter independantly. Is this something that could be added to backup loaders? Or is Wii homebrew 'dead' at this point?

Apologies for the length of this post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Razor83, Jul 19, 2017
  2. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    If you get progressive video forcing to work in USB Loader GX, it should use the same mode as ULGX, which doesn't have df.

But since forcing compatibility is low, ULGX has the neat feature of loading a game's main.dol from the SD card. So if you have the game's dol, you can patch it as needed and test.

I actually do this to get dual audio in Smash without having two copies of the same game.

For df try opening the dol in a hex editor and look for either 08080A0C0A0808 or 04080c100c0804 and replace it with 00001516150000

Razor83 likes this.