Tutorial  Updated

Play Super Mario Galaxy using the Wii U GamePad

Super Mario Galaxy 1 GamePad Hack

Attached is a modification of Super Hackio's Super Mario Galaxy Classic Controller hack, as seen on YouTube:

This version is suitable for use with Wii U VC injection for GamePad input. It is compatible with the four official releases of Super Mario Galaxy on Wii:
  • RMGE01 USA
  • RMGP01 Europe
  • RMGJ01 Japan
  • RMGK01 Korea
Note: Only USA and Europe versions have been tested by the author on hardware.

Getting this hack up and running on Wii U took a lot more effort than the Super Mario Galaxy 2 hack, because this hack is re-using an area in memory which is also used by the Gecko code handler. The Wii U VC version of this hack is made entirely with Gecko/Ocarina codes, so the Classic Controller hack had to be relocated in memory to prevent them clashing.

Requirements

To apply the patch, you will need the following:
  • Wiimm's wit
    if you don't know which version to download, you probably want Cygwin/64-bit (Windows)

• Wiimm's wstrt
    if you don't know which version to download, you probably want Cygwin/64-bit (Windows)

• any Wii VC injection tool, such as:

• a disc image of Super Mario Galaxy in any format supported by wit (ISO, WDF, WIA, CISO, WBFS)
    NKIT is not supported by wit​

Download

The attached archive includes the following files. The RMGx files come in four regional versions (E, P, J, K) and four preference variants (AllStars or Nvidia layout and standard or deflicker-filter disabled).

Mapping-SMG-AllStars.png Mapping-SMG-Nvidia.png

• Mapping-SMG-AllStars.png
    Super Hackio's instructional image showing the button layout you'll get if you use one of the All-Stars-style hacks, as seen above​

• Mapping-SMG-Nvidia.png
    Super Hackio's instructional image showing the button layout you'll get if you use one of the Nvidia-style hacks, as seen above​

• readme.txt
    basically this thread in plaintext​

• RMGx01.txt
    All of the codes from this modification in text form, in case they're useful to you​

• RMGx01-AllStars.gct
    a GCT (packaged up cheat file) which can be applied to your game's main.dol to give you the All-Stars layout​

• RMGx01-AllStars-RemoveDeflicker.gct
    identical to the above but also disables the deflicker filter which blurs the image slightly​

• RMGx01-Nvidia.gct
    a GCT which can be applied to your game's main.dol to give you the Nvidia layout​

• RMGx01-Nvidia-RemoveDeflicker.gct
    identical to the above but also disables the deflicker filter which blurs the image slightly​

Method

Consider running the wit and szs installers, it really makes both apps much easier to use.
You can also just type in all the paths manually if you don't have admin rights on your PC or just don't wish to install them. The rest of this guide will assume you have installed both apps. Adjust if necessary.​

Super Mario Galaxy is pretty finicky about what video modes it supports.
If you're on a PAL machine, you should probably inject the PAL game and vice versa. Otherwise, you may be able to work around the issue by using your injector's video mode patching features or modifying the vWii's video mode, but I'll leave that up to you.​
  1. Extract the Galaxy1GamePad archive into a directory with your Super Mario Galaxy disc image.
    For example:
    C:\Games\Wii\Hacking\SuperMarioGalaxy

2. Open a terminal/command prompt window in that directory.
    On modern versions of Windows, you can do this by opening a folder, clicking the address bar ...
    e.g. This PC > Local Disk (C) > Games, etc.​
    ... then typing cmd and pressing Enter.​

3. Unpack your Super Mario Galaxy disc image.
    For example:
    wit extract --psel=data "RMGE01.wbfs" Galaxy1GamePad
    If your disc image is named something else, replace RMGE01.wbfs with that file name.

4. Apply your chosen GCT file to your extracted main.dol file.
    For example:
    wstrt patch Galaxy1GamePad\sys\main.dol --add-section RMGE01-AllStars-RemoveDeflicker.gct
    Remember to replace the GCT filename with your region and variant.

5. Repackage your extracted Super Mario Galaxy folder into a disc image.
    For example:
    wit copy Galaxy1GamePad Galaxy1GamePad.wbfs

6. Using your newly patched Super Mario Galaxy disc image, create a Wii VC injection with Classic Controller emulation enabled.
    At this point, the process is the same as injecting any other game with Classic Controller support. You do not need the 'Force Classic Controller Connected' option, Classic Controller emulation is fine.​

Changelog

Added Japan and Korea versions​

Added Europe version​

Initial release​

Last edited by Vague Rant,

Ewpb

Trophies
XP
Country
This is fantastic. The spin move just feels so much more responsive and immediate.

I just leave the star bit cursor middle of the screen and it picks up a good amount.

Many thanks @Vague Rant

Gyro controlled star bit collection would be amazing. Though I imagine the gyro isn't recognised at all.

• Love
Reactions: Vague Rant

eof07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when attempting to inject i get this error. not sure whats going on the patched wbfs for mg2 world fine. i am running windows on a vm if that matters

Attachments

• bad.png
    bad.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 40

zmatt25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when attempting to inject i get this error. not sure whats going on the patched wbfs for mg2 world fine. i am running windows on a vm if that matters
hey, a similar error ocurred with me too, so I just used TeconMoon's WiiVC Injector (its the same thing as uwuvci, but only for WiiVC stuff)

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Noob question here, but I guess it is not possible to simply patch this to an iso file ? This VC injection thing means you can't play this on dolphin, right ?

Yamathedestroyer

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is an port of an existing mod which you can use in dolphin. Tho if you follow the guide through with just the iso patching the iso should work in Dolphin.
Post automatically merged:

Is There a Way to make this work on the WiiU Big Screen Controller ?
what is an Wii U Big Screen Controller? If you mean the Gamepad, yeah, thats what this mod is.

TonyNESgri

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone,

Is there any plan for the OP to release Wii U Gamepad / Classic Controller support for any other Wii game that works with Wiimote + Nunchuk ?

Raye2223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I try to build the rom with classic controls the cmd prompt says it cannot find the file for the allstars controls. This is despite me not messing with the files or anything.

Every time I try to build the rom with classic controls the cmd prompt says it cannot find the file for the allstars controls. This is despite me not messing with the files or anything.

nvm figured it out

Last edited by Raye2223,

AidensTeaCorner

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

nvm figured it out

I am having the same problem. How did you fix it?

nvm figured it out

Having the same problem. How did you fix it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto