fgghjjkll said:
mercluke said:
Hopawarty said:
Aww
frown.gif
you got the beta......lucky kid.
nah, he just gives me some bits and peices on occasion
tongue.gif

those animations were made in the scripting prog for menudo theme making (ds based)
dunt lie!! i remember you telling me on irc you get to beta test for soulanger or something!!!!
oh wait...i think you did anyway...
trust me, never happened
tongue.gif

he just gives me some bits and peices from some old builds of menudo

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
kermitfrog said:
Please... Please... Please, can't we have at least a Beta version
FrogCry.gif

Surely menudo needs to be tested on various combo's to see if it works & what bug appear
that's what his actual beta testrs are for ;p

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, beta versions shouldn't be open. Usually they're buggy as hell and will probably cause a lot of dislike for the homebrew, because a lot of people still don't know what a beta is.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
mercluke said:
kermitfrog said:
Please... Please... Please, can't we have at least a Beta version
FrogCry.gif

Surely menudo needs to be tested on various combo's to see if it works & what bug appear
that's what his actual beta testrs are for ;pOops sorry - What I actually meant was a 'demo', it's all very well showing videos of the 'best features' but some people like to try things out (especially me), see what's 'missing', what may need improving, see if there's anything they would like added & offer suggestions.
(Personally I would like various 'plug-ins' - you start with the very basic File launcher, but if you want to play mp3 - just add a Mp3 plugin, Read PDF ? - Add the PDF plugin etc..etc)

The one thing I really hate is Programmers/Developers THINK they know what the public what's & add sooo many features - I remember someone once said QUOTE
Only 10% know how to use 90% of [Microsoft] Word, the remaining 90% only use 10% of it

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
kermitfrog said:
The one thing I really hate is Programmers/Developers THINK they know what the public wants
but you have to take into account that the project may be tailored to the dev's tastes and is released to the public because he was kind enough to share ;p

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The best thing to do when programming is impress yourself first. From there, you can release your program to the public. If the public's not satisfied, then they don't need to use your program. Love it or shove it, I say. Then again, if you're gonna generate a little revenue from things, you need to listen to the people. But the first step is making what you want to make.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
mercluke said:
kermitfrog said:
The one thing I really hate is Programmers/Developers THINK they know what the public wants
but you have to take into account that the project may be tailored to the dev's tastes and is released to the public because he was kind enough to share ;p
OK when you say it like that - then Yes I have to agree, let the developer design the program how he what's it THEN modify it for other's suggestions

I just thought that if people can try it out & suggest what they would like to see, then the dev. can use this info to develop the program with the foresight of the additional features.

Take my idea of 'plugins' - If the dev. made the program how he liked it, as an all-in-one long piece of coding - then when people say 'I don't want this', 'there's a problem with....' or 'I would like...' then dev. has to work through the listing, rewrite parts of the program to add/remove/fix 'features' - & may even create new problems

By using plugins
- If a person don't want a function - don't install the plugin (they may only want a ROM launcher or TXT reader)
- If there's a fault with 'PDF' reading - Dev. (or someone else) only has to work on a smaller piece of code to fix it
- If someone want a feature that isn't there, perhaps THEY can create a suitable addon (take Moonshell2 & nds.YSlaunch.nds as an example)

Of course without trying the program the 'public' won't know what it can or cannot do - so no suggestions can be given
(also the fact that I am desperate for this program to come out - & hate to think this may only turn out to be 'Ghostware'
cry.gif
)

Hopawarty

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
kermitfrog said:
mercluke said:
kermitfrog said:
OK when you say it like that - then Yes I have to agree, let the developer design the program how he what's it THEN modify it for other's suggestions

I just thought that if people can try it out & suggest what they would like to see, then the dev. can use this info to develop the program with the foresight of the additional features.

Take my idea of 'plugins' - If the dev. made the program how he liked it, as an all-in-one long piece of coding - then when people say 'I don't want this', 'there's a problem with....' or 'I would like...' then dev. has to work through the listing, rewrite parts of the program to add/remove/fix 'features' - & may even create new problems

By using plugins
- If a person don't want a function - don't install the plugin (they may only want a ROM launcher or TXT reader)
- If there's a fault with 'PDF' reading - Dev. (or someone else) only has to work on a smaller piece of code to fix it
- If someone want a feature that isn't there, perhaps THEY can create a suitable addon (take Moonshell2 & nds.YSlaunch.nds as an example)

Of course without trying the program the 'public' won't know what it can or cannot do - so no suggestions can be given
(also the fact that I am desperate for this program to come out - & hate to think this may only turn out to be 'Ghostware'
cry.gif
)

Yeah.
But it all comes down to what the dev thinks.
I Mean i love those developers that listen to the public, because on the iPhone App Store i've requested a function and they included it in the next release, Which makes me one happy customer.
But devs that don't listen should just quit if you ask me.

I Never know what you can get out of the public, they have some good ideas waiting to be coded.
I Made a iPod Touch 2G 'Jailbreak' Tool.
Im still coding it, with help from the public.
Help = Ideas.

Me and some guys then take it into note, i put it in the windows version, he puts in into the mac version.
And im thinking of putting in onto linux once i can compile it, i don't know python yet.
Should be easy as xPwn was compiled for linux, thats another story though.

Sharing thoughts.
yaynds.gif

Matt140

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only problem is, when your a developer public suggestions can always become either too large too be implemented, or, too hard to be added at such a late stage.

I remember one project I was working on, a newsgroup was set-up, and just before the release we had quite a few requests that were way too large.

However, I quite like the plugin idea, just might be too hard to add, probably in a next major release, Soul may add something along the lines of it.
Speaking of Soul, has something happened? Haven't seen a post in ages...
Perhaps a sign of a close, upcoming, surprise launch??

Regards,
Matt.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
recent Soulanger conversation @ May 14 2009 said:
hey
tell dem i got an injury
uhmm
his in the hospital
he got jacked up
sliced and diced
:-j

Just kidding... Soulanger is still working on MENUdo, don't worry people. Also, I recently tried another build, still very smooth, very clean. I'm not saying anything more than that.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Matt140 said:
However, I quite like the plugin idea, just might be too hard to add, probably in a next major release, Soul may add something along the lines of it.
Considering that on the DS 'plug-ins' would actually be seperate nds files - all that would be needed (in theory) would be something like :-

> Browse & Select file in 'Menudo'
> Menudo 'sees' what type of file it is (e.g. *.nds[Homebrew] / *.nds[Comercial] / *.mp3 / *.dpg etc)
> Menudo 'passes' name of file to appropiate 'Plug-in' (or *.nds file)
> 'Plug-in' starts up & runs/shows the file as needed

Seeing that no-one (other than the BETA testers & Developer) knows how Menudo actually works - we may even find out that it already works this way (or something similar)

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
kermitfrog said:
Matt140 said:
Considering that on the DS 'plug-ins' would actually be seperate nds files - all that would be needed (in theory) would be something like :-

> Browse & Select file in 'Menudo'
> Menudo 'sees' what type of file it is (e.g. *.nds[Homebrew] / *.nds[Comercial] / *.mp3 / *.dpg etc)
> Menudo 'passes' name of file to appropiate 'Plug-in' (or *.nds file)
> 'Plug-in' starts up & runs/shows the file as needed

Seeing that no-one (other than the BETA testers & Developer) knows how Menudo actually works - we may even find out that it already works this way (or something similar)
Of course, if they were separate NDS files, we could use them by themselves. I had something different in mind - .dll files or something in which MENUdo reads from and executes their code. Then everything's still integrated into MENUdo itself and not other NDS files. That's more like how plugins work.
tongue.gif

ShadowEO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0_0 My post is gone... >_>
Anyway, Great to hear that he's still working spinal_cord. Hope he keeps up the good work
biggrin.gif
Can't wait to try it when it comes out!!!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Skyline969 said:
Of course, if they were separate NDS files, we could use them by themselves. I had something different in mind - .dll files or something in which MENUdo reads from and executes their code. Then everything's still integrated into MENUdo itself and not other NDS files. That's more like how plugins work.
tongue.gif
It's depends on your point of view of how plugins work.

My POV is based on how Moonshell use/used plugins:-
> In Moonshell1 - the plugins were ordinary nds files with a slight modification to autoload a 'passed on' filename (from moonshell) - I found this out as I actually managed to get Moonshell to start up a 'plugin' for a file type that wasn't in the original moonshell setup (the only problem was that it didn't autoload the selected file)
> In Moonshell2 - the 'resetmse' files are actually nothing more than renamed 'firmware' files (e.g. renamed 'ttmenu.dat' to 'TTIO.nds') - which in themselves are nothing more than *.NDS files set up to autorun on startup anyway

Your POV seems to be based on something like 'Windows' use of DLL's - which, as you know, is a library of code that can be executed by Windows (or any other program). Usually what happens is Windows passes info to the DLL in a particular format - the DLL then runs & then 'returns' the result back to Windows, which then acts on the result

It really all boils down to SoulAnger's POV & how he thinks plug-ins should work

Matt140

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Those Beta testers sure are lucky
frown.gif

Anyways, one implementation of a plug-in system would be a scripting system, choosing that option would make it easier for the public to create plug-ins without having to download a compiler, learn C, have enough skill to debug it etc. Plus, i'm guessing that, if such an option was integrated into menudo, it would need to have access to menudo's system, which could cause a hole lot of controversy in the debugging part.
But, i'm not that experienced in DS dev-ing, all i've managed to do is fill the top screen with a blue gradient
biggrin.gif

Regards,
Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY