MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry/not sorry for the bump here, but what is the difference between the official v1.62 WOODR4 release and the one from r4ids.cn? They offer a newer version, v1.64 and I don't know what's changed since the official v1.62 release.

woodr4 v1.64.png
(Clicking the pic will take you to the website)

Stremon

Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Hey guys, I am trying to make the official rumble pack and the taito paddle work on Wood R4 1.62 (on a Gateway Blue), but not matter what game settings I use (patch, gba link..) they are never recognised by the game.
I got another cart that runs on YSMenu and it works flawlessly, but I don't like the YSMenu GUI so much, the Wood R4 one is much better.
Is there a way to fix that? Will it work if I get a more recent card that works on the firmware 1.64?
Thanks!

Reactions: impeeza

Soundtoxin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this have advantages over TWiLightMenu (on a flashcart)? I've heard of Wood Firmware before but I'm not sure if it's still worth using these days when we have good free/open source options. I've got some R4s of some sort on the way from aliexpress.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Does this have advantages over TWiLightMenu (on a flashcart)? I've heard of Wood Firmware before but I'm not sure if it's still worth using these days when we have good free/open source options. I've got some R4s of some sort on the way from aliexpress.
It's mainly a matter of which UI you prefer, for most Wood-based flashcards TWiLight supports using the original kernel so you can use TWiLight's UI with Wood's compatibility if you prefer (and that also allows using nds-bootstrap for the few things that don't work in Wood like DSiWare)

Note that Wood is very strict on compatibility though, unless you got an original R4 it won't support the official version, for anything except TWiLight you don't really have options it's just use the one or two kernels that work on your cart

Soundtoxin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this R4 at a friend's house and he let me borrow it. It says 2015 on it. There was no SD in it. Based on the compatibility list it looked like I should install BL2CK maybe. Tried dropping on the files, but I just boot to colored squares. red green red green. I'm testing on a DSi XL running TWiLightMenu.
I was gonna try WAIO v1.16 next since it says SDHC on it, but the line for that in the OP isn't a clickable download. Any info or assistance would be appreciated.

IMG_20230326_012514.jpg

edit: Works fine in a DS Lite, so I guess needs a newer firmware for DSi support. What are my options?

Last edited by Soundtoxin,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry/not sorry for the bump here, but what is the difference between the official v1.62 WOODR4 release and the one from r4ids.cn? They offer a newer version, v1.64 and I don't know what's changed since the official v1.62 release.

View attachment 358414
(Clicking the pic will take you to the website)
The r4ids.cn version includes a 3DS sub menu for MSET (early 3DS hacking).

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

Isso_Non_Ecxiste

Pink and Blue = Harley Quinn
Trophies
Website
www.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi there!
Today I have a strange question about microSD cards.
What do I know?
1 - microSD cards use flash memory
2 - flash memory have a limited number of write/erase cycles
3 - microSD cards can be SLC, MLC and TLC
4 - SLC have 100.000 write/erase cycles, MLC 10.000 and TLC 1.000

QUESTION!!!!!!!

I'm using a sandisk card that uses TLC technology... So, if I do NOT consider the write cycles I used to do when I copied the R4 system files, games and saves into my microSD card, I'll have 1K write cycles... But...
THIS MEAN I'LL ONLY BE ABLE TO SAVE A GAME 1.000 TIMES BEFORE THE CELLS START TO DEGENERATE? or... It can be more times than that? IS WRITE/ERASE CYCLES BASED ON CLUSTER SIZE? (I mean, a 64kb formated card have 64kb on each """block""", and each 'block' of this can be REWRITED 1.000 times or it is for the whole flash memory?)

'-'

Reactions: anotherthing

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there!
Today I have a strange question about microSD cards.
What do I know?
1 - microSD cards use flash memory
2 - flash memory have a limited number of write/erase cycles
3 - microSD cards can be SLC, MLC and TLC
4 - SLC have 100.000 write/erase cycles, MLC 10.000 and TLC 1.000

QUESTION!!!!!!!

I'm using a sandisk card that uses TLC technology... So, if I do NOT consider the write cycles I used to do when I copied the R4 system files, games and saves into my microSD card, I'll have 1K write cycles... But...
THIS MEAN I'LL ONLY BE ABLE TO SAVE A GAME 1.000 TIMES BEFORE THE CELLS START TO DEGENERATE? or... It can be more times than that? IS WRITE/ERASE CYCLES BASED ON CLUSTER SIZE? (I mean, a 64kb formated card have 64kb on each """block""", and each 'block' of this can be REWRITED 1.000 times or it is for the whole flash memory?)

'-'

The write cycles mean based over the whole card, so if you happen to have a 2GB micro SD card, you can hypotheticly write over those 2gb a thousand times, thus 2000gb of writing. (basing it on 1000 write cycles)

In general i do recommend higher-end microSD(HC) Cards (i personally always just buy Sandisk ones)

Last edited by ShadowtearX,

Isso_Non_Ecxiste

Pink and Blue = Harley Quinn
Trophies
Website
www.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Brazil
The write cycles mean based over the whole card, so if you happen to have a 2GB micro SD card, you can hypotheticly write over those 2gb a thousand times, thus 2000gb of writing. (basicing it on 1000 write cycles)

In general i do recommend higher-end microSD(HC) Cards (i personally always just buy Sandisk ones)
Thank you. I use microsdhc class 10, u1 with 16GB of storage. It is sandisk and its serial number is SDSQUNS-016G-GN3MA.
So 16 x 1000 = 16000GB of write/erase.

QUESTION:

If my save type is 1mb, when I overwrite the save file, it deletes the last save (1mb), and writes a new one (1mb). So, everytime I save, or the game autosaves it consumes 2mb, right?
So, 1GB = 1000mb, 16GB = 16000mb and 16000GB = 16.000.000mb. This means I can save a game about... 'lemme count'... 8 million of times, right?

U guys can think, 'Hey, Isso_non_Ecxiste is a crazy guy', but no, I just care about these things and I want to know how many times or estimated years this microSD will last. Well, 8 billion of times will be my whole life, lmao. But I know that many other things affect write/erase cycles, like moonshell usage, R4 system autosaves the last played game on a text file and... if you activate ar codes, the ar code file saves everything you mark in that box, so another write.

Last edited by Isso_Non_Ecxiste,

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
R4i GOLD PLUS r4ids.com
https://web.archive.org/web/2015121...WebShieldDRSessionVerify=Tit0Apa1ELbqNjCWIX6p
Latest kernel is v3.0 2013-7-12 PLUS kernel
Pay attention to the recommendation for the firmware required for this kernel to work - "requires firmware 1.5 or higher".
Latest firmware is v2.4 2013-12-26 R4I GOLD PLUS firmware, is on the same page, much lower (*).
Firmware update instruction is also on the same page, at the very bottom.
* difference between Deluxe and Standard/Simple Editions (refers to the choice of firmware option): https://web.archive.org/web/20160404033932/http://www.r4ids.com/index.php/en/r4i-gold-plus

Last edited by r1vver,
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza and Chicco

Chicco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Latest kernel is v3.0 2013-7-12 PLUS kernel
Pay attention to the recommendation for the firmware required for this kernel to work - "requires firmware 1.5 or higher".
Latest firmware is v2.4 2013-12-26 R4I GOLD PLUS firmware, is on the same page, much lower (*).
Firmware update instruction is also on the same page, at the very bottom.
* difference between Deluxe and Standard/Simple Editions (refers to the choice of firmware option):

Hi R1vver,
thank you for your help!
I had already found the original kernel Gold_Plus_Kernel_3.0 on the page flashcard-archive-ds-homebrew
But I would help for wood R4.... because i cant run it.
My card cant boot and show ''MENU?'' error.
I mean... is R4 WOOD a fully alternative kernel ??

Last edited by Chicco,

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Apparently the wood that you are trying to run and your cart are alien to each other.

Update: By the way, what tricky goal are you trying to achieve, unless of course it's a secret?
Just get the most up-to-date kernel or something more different?
Here is a little for your cart: https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-gold-plus-and-ysmenu-help.415012/
The idea is to update the DAT files of Gold Plus kernel v3.0 even a bit more.
The file (DAT Update) that is mentioned in that old thread no longer exists (hosting is dead) and it is already outdated, but there is a newer version here: https://gbatemp.net/download/retrogamefan-multi-cart-update.35737/

Last edited by r1vver,
Reactions: Chicco

Chicco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Apparently the wood that you are trying to run and your cart are alien to each other.

Update: By the way, what tricky goal are you trying to achieve, unless of course it's a secret?
Just get the most up-to-date kernel or something more different?
Here is a little for your cart:
The idea is to update the DAT files of Gold Plus kernel v3.0 even a bit more.
The file (DAT Update) that is mentioned in that old thread no longer exists (hosting is dead) and it is already outdated, but there is a newer version here:
no secret, I would only try a newer mod firmware with more functions, instead the old original one.
thanks again!

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m looking for an r4 card. Has any of the multi-game cards (ie 500-in-one) on Amazon been tested?

Or this one (it says sdhc on it, so i want to make sure it’s compatible):

I just don’t trust the official chinese website for buying anything (security reasons), and finding the actual r4 cards that work are extremely hard without looking at the bootleg multi-game cards.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I’m looking for an r4 card. Has any of the multi-game cards (ie 500-in-one) on Amazon been tested?

Or this one (it says sdhc on it, so i want to make sure it’s compatible):

I just don’t trust the official chinese website for buying anything (security reasons), and finding the actual r4 cards that work are extremely hard without looking at the bootleg multi-game cards.
Generally, the modern bootlegs (before 2012 or so they were real ROM based) are Ace3DSes, but of course who can say for sure?

The other one is yet another disposable flashcard (r4isdhc.com is pretty much the knockoff of r4i-sdhc.com which is an inaccurate TTDS clone, I vaguely remember), poor quality that will likely self-brick some time or later due to firmware corruption, and most importantly for this topic - definitely not a Wood-compatible R4DS or r4ids.cn (unfortunately both of those sold out, worldwide, around some time in 2018)

Most reputable Western console modding stores like shop01media also stopped caring for the race to the bottom represented by these "yearly flashcards" and/or don't exist anymore...

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally, the modern bootlegs (before 2012 or so they were real ROM based) are Ace3DSes, but of course who can say for sure?

The other one is yet another disposable flashcard (r4isdhc.com is pretty much the knockoff of r4i-sdhc.com which is an inaccurate TTDS clone, I vaguely remember), poor quality that will likely self-brick some time or later due to firmware corruption, and most importantly for this topic - definitely not a Wood-compatible R4DS or r4ids.cn (unfortunately both of those sold out, worldwide, around some time in 2018)

Most reputable Western console modding stores like shop01media also stopped caring for the race to the bottom represented by these "yearly flashcards" and/or don't exist anymore...

So with that known, where’s a good place to buy one that’s recommended?

(Even if i have to get it from someone from here who is willing to sell)

I’m just looking for a card that works with the wii (since TWLmenu++ doesn’t have support for games like PBR/PR/PP, WarioWare, and Animal crossing). Two would be nice.

Edit: I’ll just settle with the multi-game cards since they are Ace3DS cards according to that thread.

Last edited by scoobydude51,

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've picked up a few of them. I was mainly using them to collect ROMs at first. I grabbed one that was 4300 in 1 which had several DS games, tons of GameBoy games with an emulator, GameBoy Color with an emulator, GameBoy Advance games with an emulator(GBA Runner 2), NES with emulator, SNES, NeoGeo, and Genesis. So, I was pretty happy with that for around $20.

Now, here's some of the BAD stuff. The SD card that it comes with is generic as Hell. No telling who made it as there was no label at all. So, if you get one, back up the card contents promptly and then copy those contents to a good card like a SanDisk.

I bought a 128GB, which is the biggest card supposedly that the Ace3DS+ card can take, which is what the multigame carts are. I'm not sure why they can't take a 256GB card since you can still format those to FAT32, but everything I've read says 128GB. From there, I figured out enough of the stuff in the __rpg directory(the important stuff is in the extensions/_plugins_ directory off __rpg). After figuring that out, I added more emulators like the Coleco emulator, StellaDS, Intellivision(I'm still great at AstroSmash), FrodoDS, DSx86(which is amazing for old PC emulation), and a few others. I basically filled that card with 100GB of games across all those platforms, and it's portable between my New 2DS XL, O3DS XL, and DS Lite.

Oh, I also picked up 208 and 482 in 1 on Amazon which also includes a similar emulator load out as the 4300 in 1 version.

As far as I know, there's no "time bomb" issues with the Ace3DS+ cards. I'm sure someone clever could write one, but after dicking around with the __rpg folder, the people compiling these cards do the bare minimum amount of tinkering with the software on these cards and primarily just load them with ROM files.

Reactions: CoolMe and impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over