Sony announces launch date for the upcoming live action Street Fighter movie

street.png

Street Fighter will be hitting the silver screen, as Sony has confirmed that a live action movie adaptation of the video game will be released in 2026. The project has been in the works since 2023, but has suffered setbacks, which included the film's two directors departing from the production. Sony and Capcom are co-producing the movie, together with movie studio Legendary Pictures. Street Fighter is no newcomer to live action films, with 1994's Street Fighter, which despite its negative reception, was a box office success. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li was a 2009 film that served as a prequel to Street Fighter IV, but was critically lambasted. The new Street Fighter movie will hit theaters on March 20, 2026.

:arrow: Source

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Expecting the Rock to be in it, for obv reasons, he'd be either Sagat or Zangief. But yea, it'll suck, either way.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nice!
I remember the first one, all the hype, and carefully chosen scenes for promotion.
When I saw it I was completely disappointed and I was 4 years old back then but I was already into Street Fighter 2 for SNES.

I'd like to know the casting, as long as it has good actors and good script, I'd be watching it... as long as it references source material. The animes are a good start for proper character development, introductions and pacing.

My gut tells me it's gonna have some bullshit action "actors" like Statham, Rousey, Dwayne, Clive Owen, and probably one of those youngsters freaks with eyes way too separated and fugly "latino" looking and south korean human trends and probably UFC fighters "to add realistic choreographies". In other words, a fucking mess.

Ideally, Jean Claude Van Damme, Ming-Na Wen, and Kylie Minogue should do cameos.
Although, Maggie Q would make a perfect Chun-Li.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not too fond of Street Fighter. As a kid, I wanted to fight as well as Ryu.

so I trained and trained and trained... in theory. in the real world, Hadouken didn't work.

That's the story of how my arse was whooped by the school bully.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As per usual, I like what everyone else seems to hate, I loved the original movie. You know I don't expect these movies to be 100% faithful to the games, why, because if I wanted a faithful experience, I could just play the damn games. These older game movies felt refreshing to me, they called to the games, but they stuck out in their own right as somewhat separate entities. I don't understand why everyone hates these older movies, but I'll be frank, I'm not too huge on these newer game movies, so far Detective Pikachu is the only one I would consider good to watch over and over. The Mortal Kombat remake was alright, but definitely didn't feel as good as the original to me. Not huge on the Sonic movies, I feel those would have been better as cartoons or CGI at most. Some games really don't need a real life adaptation.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol