[PPOTW] What did you think of this years VGX awards?

What did you think of this years VGX awards?

• It was great

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • It was terrible

Votes: 80 17.9%
  • It is irrelevant

Votes: 99 22.1%
  • The show is out of touch with gamers and the industry

Votes: 74 16.5%
  • What is the VGX?

Votes: 175 39.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
images

So last night was the annual Spike TV VGX Awards (previously known as the VGAs), if you missed it you can check it out here:

If you did watch it, or some of it, what did you think? Was it better than previous years? Is the ceremony, overall improving or getting worse?​
After previous years the show has been slammed for being biased as well as being out of touch with real gamers. This years show seems to have attracted the same feelings and is already receiving criticism from gamers around the globe.​
What do you think?​
Let us know in the comments!​

If you have an idea for a poll you would like to see on the portal just send me a PM with PPOTW in the title and your questions and answers for the poll.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just finishing up watching the Thief trailers and preshow stuff.

Probably more entertaining than E3 as far as trailers go. I do not think I will be watching the main show though.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Spike VGA awards have always been a joke. As such I didn't even waste a moment of my life entertaining them this year. Glad to hear they didn't change.

Reactions: calmwaters

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Didn't know what it was, didn't watch it and just laughing so hard for winners. I mean c'mon bioshock was really good but best shooter? And blood dragon is suddenly DLC?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think I managed even 2 minutes before turning it off - embarrassing! :lol: Thankfully the main sites all covered it, so I got to sken at No Man's Sky in far less cringeworthy circumstances! Anyone know how the fukk DiveKick got into the Best Fighting game shortlist?! :blink:

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It was really quite the travesty actually.

Even as a basic rewards show it failed that basic role, the majority of awards were never even announced on TV. Something is very suspect when they don't announce Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC or Handheld game of the year on a three hour long show.
No, instead the show itself felt like a very very long marketing effort, with most of the time dedicated to "world premiers", many of which were not that interesting or something we already knew about. This was not the right place to reveal these new titles at all.

Then there's the co-host Joel McHale. At the start of the show he read lines like "Xenu the one true alien god", "If the game does appear on this show then like the female orgasm, it doesn't exist", "I'm wearing an adult diaper", "Wario is not undergoing sexual reassignment surgery". It seemed like over time Joel actually started neglecting the teleprompter and stopped caring about presenting the show as Spike has intended.
I don't even know what they were thinking giving Pewdiepie a segment all to himself, and yet I didn't find that nearly as grating as the GTA V music performance at the end of the show.

Heck, after the show, the only thing from the show that actually trended globally on twitter was Cranky Kong, who was revealed as the fourth playable character in Donkey Kong Country Freeze. Nintendo squandered an opportunity to show something astounding, though they still showed something good, heck Cranky plays just like Scrooge McDuck complete with pogo jumping.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think I managed even 2 minutes before turning it off - embarrassing! :lol: Thankfully the main sites all covered it, so I got to sken at No Man's Sky in far less cringeworthy circumstances! Anyone know how the fukk DiveKick got into the Best Fighting game shortlist?! :blink:

It's become a total cult hit among the hardcore fighting game fans. Considering the competition this year was... Injustice? And pretty much nothing else, it's definitely a shortlist contender.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let's be honest;

The VGA's/VGX show always has been, and always will be terrible. I mean shit, I see more talk on twitter and facebook and YouTube from developers/publisher (granted they're canadian only) be more pumped up an excited for the Canadian Video Game Awards.

The show needs to either disappear all together, or get new staff/new host. Geoff just doesn't do it, and I'm pretty sure a ton of gamers aren't too fond of him. The show is nothing but one big advertising wank fest for companies. "Here's this brand new trailer!" (brought to you by Mountain Dew). It's terrible. You can tell the people who get interviewed by Geoff or have any part of the show don't want to be there.

I mean this year actually had a decent co-host, Joel Mchale. The only problem is Joel was forced to read off of a teleprompter of the VGX's staff shitty jokes. This is a comedian that is big with today's TV audience. Don't bullshit us. We can tell when he's not being himself. Now in Joel's defense, once he decided to basically say "fuck the teleprompter" and started doing his own stuff, he was a lot better. But the look on Geoff's face every time he did that was just painful to watch.

Does anybody really take this show seriously? When a publisher is bringing out a new game, don't they have other things to write on their game about the awards it got?

And yes, stated already, this big "everybody is a winner" thing is stupid. I don't understand how Game of the Year can go to GTAV (which is a great game don't get me wrong), but lose out to Assassin's Creed in the action category, or how Rockstar loses to Naughty Dog. You'd figure that if you're getting GOTY, then the other categories you're in you've won, wouldn't you?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

VGX gon give it to ya, and by "it" I mean "enough cringe to make your face implode."

I do appreciate Joel McHale refusing to give a single shit, however.

Reactions: hhs

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

VGX gon give it to ya, and by "it" I mean "enough cringe to make your face implode."

I do appreciate Joel McHale refusing to give a single shit, however.

The best parts of that video is when Joel is not giving a shit, and in turn showing us how incredibly stupid the VGX's are. Bring him back next year (to replace Geoff plz)

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's become a total cult hit among the hardcore fighting game fans. Considering the competition this year was... Injustice? And pretty much nothing else, it's definitely a shortlist contender.

True, it's been a bad year for fighters... DOA5 Plus/Ultimate came out this year though? Suppose it can't really be classed as a new game though....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!