[PPOTW] What did you think of this years VGX awards?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Dec 8, 2013.

?

What did you think of this years VGX awards?

1. It was great

12 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. It was terrible

80 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. It is irrelevant

99 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. The show is out of touch with gamers and the industry

74 vote(s)
    16.5%
  5. What is the VGX?

175 vote(s)
    39.1%
  6. Other (please specify)

8 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    [​IMG]

So last night was the annual Spike TV VGX Awards (previously known as the VGAs), if you missed it you can check it out here:

If you did watch it, or some of it, what did you think? Was it better than previous years? Is the ceremony, overall improving or getting worse?​
    After previous years the show has been slammed for being biased as well as being out of touch with real gamers. This years show seems to have attracted the same feelings and is already receiving criticism from gamers around the globe.​
    What do you think?​
    Let us know in the comments!​

If you have an idea for a poll you would like to see on the portal just send me a PM with PPOTW in the title and your questions and answers for the poll.

2. logon

logon GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2008
    New Zealand
    Laughing at the votes so far. All are negative

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Just finishing up watching the Thief trailers and preshow stuff.

Probably more entertaining than E3 as far as trailers go. I do not think I will be watching the main show though.

4. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    The Spike VGA awards have always been a joke. As such I didn't even waste a moment of my life entertaining them this year. Glad to hear they didn't change.

calmwaters likes this.
  5. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Can you please add "Awkward" to the list of choices, because thats what it was from start to finish. It was like the 700 Club doing a show on how to be an atheist.

hhs and calmwaters like this.
  6. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    No idea what VGX really is, but I spent my time watching the first day of Shoutcraft America instead :>

AceWarhead likes this.
  7. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    Didn't know what it was, didn't watch it and just laughing so hard for winners. I mean c'mon bioshock was really good but best shooter? And blood dragon is suddenly DLC?

8. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Don't think I managed even 2 minutes before turning it off - embarrassing! :lol: Thankfully the main sites all covered it, so I got to sken at No Man's Sky in far less cringeworthy circumstances! Anyone know how the fukk DiveKick got into the Best Fighting game shortlist?! :blink:

9. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    It was really quite the travesty actually.

Even as a basic rewards show it failed that basic role, the majority of awards were never even announced on TV. Something is very suspect when they don't announce Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC or Handheld game of the year on a three hour long show.
    No, instead the show itself felt like a very very long marketing effort, with most of the time dedicated to "world premiers", many of which were not that interesting or something we already knew about. This was not the right place to reveal these new titles at all.

Then there's the co-host Joel McHale. At the start of the show he read lines like "Xenu the one true alien god", "If the game does appear on this show then like the female orgasm, it doesn't exist", "I'm wearing an adult diaper", "Wario is not undergoing sexual reassignment surgery". It seemed like over time Joel actually started neglecting the teleprompter and stopped caring about presenting the show as Spike has intended.
    I don't even know what they were thinking giving Pewdiepie a segment all to himself, and yet I didn't find that nearly as grating as the GTA V music performance at the end of the show.

Heck, after the show, the only thing from the show that actually trended globally on twitter was Cranky Kong, who was revealed as the fourth playable character in Donkey Kong Country Freeze. Nintendo squandered an opportunity to show something astounding, though they still showed something good, heck Cranky plays just like Scrooge McDuck complete with pogo jumping.

10. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    It's become a total cult hit among the hardcore fighting game fans. Considering the competition this year was... Injustice? And pretty much nothing else, it's definitely a shortlist contender.

11. aiat_gamer

aiat_gamer GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2008
    Iran
    Bioshock Infinite is overrated, best shooter it is not.

hhs likes this.
  12. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Let's be honest;

The VGA's/VGX show always has been, and always will be terrible. I mean shit, I see more talk on twitter and facebook and YouTube from developers/publisher (granted they're canadian only) be more pumped up an excited for the Canadian Video Game Awards.

The show needs to either disappear all together, or get new staff/new host. Geoff just doesn't do it, and I'm pretty sure a ton of gamers aren't too fond of him. The show is nothing but one big advertising wank fest for companies. "Here's this brand new trailer!" (brought to you by Mountain Dew). It's terrible. You can tell the people who get interviewed by Geoff or have any part of the show don't want to be there.

I mean this year actually had a decent co-host, Joel Mchale. The only problem is Joel was forced to read off of a teleprompter of the VGX's staff shitty jokes. This is a comedian that is big with today's TV audience. Don't bullshit us. We can tell when he's not being himself. Now in Joel's defense, once he decided to basically say "fuck the teleprompter" and started doing his own stuff, he was a lot better. But the look on Geoff's face every time he did that was just painful to watch.

Does anybody really take this show seriously? When a publisher is bringing out a new game, don't they have other things to write on their game about the awards it got?

And yes, stated already, this big "everybody is a winner" thing is stupid. I don't understand how Game of the Year can go to GTAV (which is a great game don't get me wrong), but lose out to Assassin's Creed in the action category, or how Rockstar loses to Naughty Dog. You'd figure that if you're getting GOTY, then the other categories you're in you've won, wouldn't you?

13. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

VGX gon give it to ya, and by "it" I mean "enough cringe to make your face implode."

I do appreciate Joel McHale refusing to give a single shit, however.

hhs likes this.
  14. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    That's a 4-hour video were to start?

15. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
  16. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    The best parts of that video is when Joel is not giving a shit, and in turn showing us how incredibly stupid the VGX's are. Bring him back next year (to replace Geoff plz)

17. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    True, it's been a bad year for fighters... DOA5 Plus/Ultimate came out this year though? Suppose it can't really be classed as a new game though....

18. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London

Persona 4 Arena...

GameWinner likes this.
  19. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    The highlight of the show was Reggie wearing a metroid pin.

20. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Which game won "best idependent games fueled by mountain dew"?