[PPOTW] Now MS has backtracked, will you?

Did Microsoft's 180 make you reconsider an XBone?

• No, they haven't changed my mind

Votes: 287 38.7%
  • No, I'm getting a PS4

Votes: 274 36.9%
  • Yes, it took guts to change their policies. I will buy an XBone, MS listens to their fans!

Votes: 34 4.6%
  • I am waiting to decide between PS4/XBone

Votes: 64 8.6%
  • I intend to buy/already have a WiiU, PS4/XBone do not interest me

Votes: 171 23.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 60 8.1%

• Total voters

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
So this week MS Backtracked on pretty much every policy the public didn't like regarding the XBone.
Will MS' change in policy make you change your mind on purchasing an XBone? Or is too late?
Let us know in this weeks PPOTW!

Previous week - who will sell the most hardware next gen?

If you have an idea for a poll you would like to see on the portal just send me a PM with PPOTW in the title and your questions for the poll.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The lack of dedication to the permanence of these changes is already disturbing, and the limited launch and creepy privacy issues via the Kinect definitely don't help the case any further. Not to mention, Microsoft managed to say some very stupid things in a very short period of time prior to making these changes. They've certainly lost my respect where their game consoles are concerned.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now that they have "verbally" backtracked (we have yet to see if they will follow through on it), my decision has become that much harder. I actually wanted to make a thread on this matter. I know that I'm going to get a Wii U and a 3DS by this time next year, and that I still want to give both the PS4 and the 180 some time to grow and gain some ground, but I would like to build a pros/cons list for those two, and keep building on it. That way, by the time comes for me to make my purchase, I know that I am making the right decision.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For me the playstation controller is a hand killer over extended sessions where MS makes ones I really like (Nintendo's one dalliance with good controllers for the GC seems to be forgotten so I am out there).

I usually pick up consoles second hand a few years down the line (unless the games were amazing and I could not get them elsewhere, not likely when the things run slightly cut down PC hardware, I would never pick up something at launch) at which point they are usually quite cheap. To that end if MS stick to it as far as the loss of the anti consumer stuff and we see something similar to the PS360 stuff where the libraries were basically identical, even more so if you have a passable PC, then I can see myself picking up one at some point.

Edit-- oh yeah and if one gets hacked it will be far more appealing to me.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I honestly don't know at this point. Yes, I could state something like "for me, the PS4 had 3 advantages over xbone*...now it's only 2." ...but I wasn't sure whether to get the PS4 before the change either (I could just as well pick up a cheap PS3/360 and get about 10 second hand games for the price of 1. Or even a hacked console).

Also: the amount of news that show up AFTER E3 is pretty important as well. How will the ouya or the shield do? Or that line-up of nintendo? Or (most of all) that steambox? And whatever else of news is going to pop up between now and the release date?

So...no. I'm not going to pin me on any upgrade plans for now. I'm curious how others feel (my guess is that nobody is going to change their preordered PS4), but I don't think I can set those numbers in stone either.

*price, better Indie support and the no requirement of internet-thing. Of course it's the latter that has gone.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot forgive them for their DRM treachery. Microsoft has thus earned a lifetime boycott from the Snailface.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m23elxLE2P1ql1e1m.gif

Fair enough and a clear logic at least. However companies under the Sony wing have made some interesting moves (some of them considerably less overt) over the years, are they also dancing along a tightrope. Rumblings were Sony was considering measures along the same lines as well.

they lost me at xbox gold

Sony seem to be taking a slightly softer touch but with them also doing paid multiplayer for the vast majority of games how does that sit with you?

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, no and hell no. Microsoft practically twisted my arm into pre-ordering a PS4 when I wasn't even that interested.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
MS are also doing the free games/games library a la PS+

As for why... I guess it is because they can get away with it.
Except Microsoft is giving away games temporarily. As far as anybody can tell, Sony will keep giving games away every single month to PS+ users until otherwise noted. It's one of the main pulls of the service and keeps subscribers consistent in their subscription, so I'm doubting it's going to disappear any time soon on Sony's front. As for Microsoft, they've already established their online model. They've made it quite clear that giveaways are a not a necessity on their end since you need Gold to even use anything that isn't a one player gaming function on the 360, so I'm doubting this free games thing is going to continue beyond its expiration date. If anything, this is just another effort to try to get lost consumers back on their side.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
people should not decide until everything is final. and i dont really believe that they did a real 180. theres still a catch.
like, you can play without a connection. but half the game will not work unless you connect after all. and there wont be a drm like they described initially. but if you give away a game once, you will never be able to play it again. or whatever.

and i see them reactivating half of that after 6 months with a firmwareupdate too...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope. Microsoft have been dicks. And on a more pragmatic level, Kinect inclusion has killed the Xbone, my room isn't big enough to use it and the only room where I could use it, the tv is SD. They can win me over in the future with some changes but for now I'm leaning towards the PS4. Sony seem much more competent in their approach but there are two big factors in why I'm leaning towards PS4.

1) The Sony exclusives. This gen, Sony have had the most diverse and experimental exclusive gaem. I can think of several titles which most publishers wouldn't even consider let alone greenlight. And in a time of regurgitation, I'm glad to see some originality. Naughty Dog are the best Developers in the business at this moment of time.
2) I already have a PS+ subscription for my PS3 and Vita so I already have an investment in the PS4. As long Sony continue making PS+ a service which provides value with the IGC than I'll be shifting there.

The only real substantial thing the Xbone would offer me is the controller but write ups about teh PS4 controller have been really positive with it apparently being comfortable to hold with improved stocks and trigger buttons.

IRC that's lasting till the Xbone launch. PS+ is different as it offers more than just the gaems.

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
fast6191 I'm the same when it comes to the controllers the Xbox pad is my favorite and the XBone controller looks awesome. Hopefully there will be some kind of adapter to use an XBone pad with PS4.
As for the consoles I'm sold on PS4 due to PS+ and Vita.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nah, I already made my mind when I saw the lack of interesting game on the Xbone. I couldn't care less about a change of policy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was unaware that the game library/giveaway thing was a limited affair. I shall have to hold off pending word on its lasting or not.

1 month of xbl is $10
1 month of psn+ is $5

and if people stop buying xbox live they will do what they did with DRM

Buy in bulk? Price wise it achieves parity I believe.

Any sources on the second part?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to point out for people complaining about the cost of xbl: 1 year xbl subscriptions routinely go on sale for $35, whereas the lowest I've ever seen ps+ is $40.

also, what makes you think Sony will continue to incentivise ps+ when it is mandatory for online play?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O i3? o........................................k
    Both of mine are i5's lol
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it