[PPOTW] Now MS has backtracked, will you?

Did Microsoft's 180 make you reconsider an XBone?

• No, they haven't changed my mind

Votes: 287 38.7%
  • No, I'm getting a PS4

Votes: 274 36.9%
  • Yes, it took guts to change their policies. I will buy an XBone, MS listens to their fans!

Votes: 34 4.6%
  • I am waiting to decide between PS4/XBone

Votes: 64 8.6%
  • I intend to buy/already have a WiiU, PS4/XBone do not interest me

Votes: 171 23.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 60 8.1%

• Total voters

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm more inclined to get one now. I went with the 360 last gen, and I'd like to continue with Xbox. The controller design is the best out there, Xbox Live is a lot smoother and reliable than PSN (From what I've heard), and I'd like to continue using my account and whatnot.

It's still too early to decide though, and I'll wait to see what gets announced, with both games, and features for the system itself, leading up to launch.
I've never actually understood the "Live is so much more reliable than PSN" stance. I swear, that's just rumor or some shit that got adopted by fanboys that was pretty much forced into fact through repetition as if it were. Having used both services rather extensively, I can safely say that PSN is ultimately no worse than Live. Anybody that has used Live for more than a year can tell you it has its fair share of issues that might make a person think twice about dropping the money for a year of Live, you know, if it weren't for the console losing 90% of its functions without the service.

I'm thinking the opinion primarily stems from the fact that Live costs money, whereas basic PSN does not, so clearly Live must be better. Kind of the consumer idea that costs more is equivalent to better quality.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"90% of its functions"
I have met such a mindset before and in some ways I can see it, sadly I never did get a chance to pick up a bunch of banned and hacked consoles on the cheap.

I would also say that after about 8 months PSN did largely sort itself out as far as basic functionality went (I do not do online games of any form if I can help it so my personal experience is second hand at this stage) but MS did step up there game with regards to cross game chat, friends, the stores (PSN was great if you wanted the top 20 titles, less so otherwise) and the ease of use where everything that was not a PC or to a lesser extent social network style lagged seriously behind.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
The only problems I've run into the Live are credit card problems. Other than that, it's been just fine. And like I said, that's what I've heard about PSN. I imagine the whole big hack in 2011 (Or whenever it was) didn't help with that stance, but yeah.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I distrust M$, they only fixed issues that shouldn't have been added in first place. It makes me wonder if they just slowly re-add them through out the XFlopONE's life span since that seems like the evil kinda shit M$ would do.
Not to mention the other problems I have with it like always having to be connected to the kinect.

Lestworth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the years ive had my ps3, and played online with it, i have never had the issues people have claimed they had with the online network of the system. I dont even have psn (yet) and it still runs great online. I put 700hrs into Bad Company 2 alone!

Microsoft for the past, what 7months? have been insisting this DRM, forced online, no used games, kinetic always on crap. Hell 2-3 weeks ago the interview with Angry Joe he was a dick with a few of his responses, and insisted that it was not as easy as just flipping a switch. Now they change the polices because of the pre-order reports, and essentially "flipped the switch" ? I call bullshit with the past year on what M$ has said to the community. They deserve the hatred they get due to the attitude they were showing. The had every right to feel like top dog because the Xbox360 out performed the PS3 for the majority of this gen, but when you turn that confidence into cockyness you get backlash.

PSN has great value right now, Xcom and Deus Ex just went free with PSN right now, 2 GREAT GAMES. Its probably why im getting a psn membership here soon in all honesty, and that is with this generation. Not just with free games, some games get a discount as well with membership.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Right now with a new home to decorate and a baby on the way, I'm far too poor to give a rat's ass about any new console, so the fact that they reversed those ridiculous policies has little impact on my decision to buy anything personally. Although I am pleased that those who are considering the Xbone won't be getting shafted like a Vegas whore quite so badly, so I suppose you can consider that a small victory.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other: I've gone from "I will never buy one" to "I may buy one someday, if it gets cheap enough and if there is some exclusive I give a shit about, but for now, if I buy anything it will probably be PS4"

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Couldn't care less about the whole drm issue - I buy new when I can anyway, but can see why there was such an outrage about it.... doing the complete change like they have has therefore not affected my decision at all - - I'm still not getting one! (yet!)

Forza 5 looks ace but I'm burned out with that series for the moment, and my lads love the Dead Rising series (yea they're not 18, but I won't let them play GTA and the like), but judging by what we've seen on that the campness of the game has gone in favour of a gritty Walking Dead style which they've noticed already.

Sony on the other hand are courting with the Indie devs - huge plus for me right there (Bastion sequel is almost a system seller in itself for me!), and it's clearly pushing 50% more powerful. Get the PSN Store fixed up and other online kinks ironed out, and Plus is a clear winner over Gold even with the 2-free-5yo-games-per-month shite MS are doing.

PS4 first for me then, probably not until around this time next year, will probably pick up the Xbone on the cheap sometime later - plenty on my current consoles (inc Wii U) before all that though!

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was unaware that the game library/giveaway thing was a limited affair. I shall have to hold off pending word on its lasting or not.

Buy in bulk? Price wise it achieves parity I believe.

Any sources on the second part?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/microsof...tions-are-history.349818/page-10#post-4683951
people complained and said they would not buy xbox one about the drm
so much they would had to remove it
if we where to do the same thing with live
they would have to remove it or suffer big profit loss

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Their backtracking changed nothing, I will still stay with my computer since I neither want nor can afford wasting money on overly expensive consoles.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell no! You know Microsoft, they are going to con you into buying their product, then once you are nice cozy and addicted, they are going to switch the policy back on you!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I welcome the changes, the cat's well out of the bag at this point.

Even with this backtracking, you'll still have to pay $100 extra for a weaker system with the tacked on Kinect. This is still a pretty shitty deal.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I'd consider the xbox one if they...
- decided that Kinect wasn't mandatory anymore, and they came up with a cheaper pack. I have no interest in Kinect whatsoever.
- allowed the console to be used where I live (China)
- completey, definitely ensured that the DRM shit was off the road for good. And that I could be definitely certain to be able to buy used games on internet like I've always done.

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going to get an xboxone and ps4 because as long as Microsoft and Sony are still making system specific games i.e. Fable/Gears of war/Halo etc for Microsoft only consoles and God of War/Gran Turismo/and maybe finally "Team ICO's" The Last Guardian on SONY only hardware. I already own a WiiU so got my bases covered for playing in house developed games.

The fact is all three company's are s**t in their own way and treat the end user like an idiot. But SONY has to be the one I'd gladly do away with at the moment. If Nintendo had gone a different way with storage media for the N64 I wonder would SONY exist in the game console world at all? Down with SONY bring back SEGA and ATARI to the console market :).

Note.. Microsofts change in stance on DRM was bound to happen. SONY will follow suit next I predict!

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I personally think what Microsft have done is great, in essense they have seen that consumers did not appricate the ramp up on piracy evasion , and think the XboxOne will now appeal to a much wider audience.

Even with these changes to the system I will still be purchasing a PS4 near launch, even before the Xbox was revealed I knew in my head that I wanted the playstaion.

I never understand the argument between PS / Xbox fans though, as for me personally all though I prefer the look/games of the PS4 I love all game consoles / handhelds. Anything that allows me to play games is enjoyable, I want to be able to play all types of games including exclusives and so I may end up with both in the future

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If Nintendo had gone a different way with storage media for the N64 I wonder would SONY exist in the game console world at all? Down with SONY bring back SEGA and ATARI to the console market :).

Sony would be fine. To blame storage format alone would be simplistic, Nintendo has really pissed off third parties in the NES/SNES eras and were generally pretty big dicks regarding the limitations placed upon them. Here's an article about the less than stellar relationship between Nintendo and SQUARESOFT around that period. Sony in addition offered a better licensing deal to third parties making it more attractive. The PSX was a relatively easy console to develop for whilst the N64 was the opposite because Yamauchi ( a big reason for Ninty's dickheadness) wanted it difficult to develop for because his absurd belief it would weed out the crap. Overall Sony offered a storage format which was inexpensive and plentiful, a more profitable licensing deal and a good machine to program for. Though I guess there were third parties who wanted to give Ninty a bloody noise.

And unlike Sega, Sony were actually competent. Just immediately launching the Saturn was pretty fucking stupid. Whilst Sony had more business nous. Even after the SNES CD add on deal collapsed, they knew it was more wise to focus on the next console cycle and launching it with a a decent price point ($299).

Reactions: NahuelDS

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
emigre
I hear what you are saying. But If Nintendo had stuck with the plans to release a cdrom add on for the SNES and gone with SONY/Phillips what would have happened? Would SONY have entered the console making business at a later time? I agree that the PS1 and PS2 were awesome consoles and could not be faulted but with all the controversy with the PS3 and other OS (SONY Lied to the public) I've really had a guts full of SONY. They have shown that they still regard their consoles as THEIR hardware even after purchase. The games on the PS3 have been too similar (the old argument that SONY make games consoles for adults because 5 out of every 10 games that come out are FPS games f*****g boring; I had more fun on my wii and 3ds than on most ps3 games and same can be said for xbox360 games). If SONY or MICROSOFT did'nt make in house games specific to their systems I wouldn't buy their consoles.

And actually I thought that the N64 was an amazing console. In many ways superior to the PSX. But the SEGA Saturn was underated and although it was the least popular of the bunch it was still decent. Also SEGA were first to produce a 128 bit home console with the DREAMCAST which I can easily say is in my top ten consoles of all time but it died a death.

Anyway off topic. I will be buying all next gen consoles if they have console independant games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)