Tales of Hearts - English Translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by neoxephon, Jul 22, 2009.

Jul 22, 2009
  1. neoxephon
    OP

Member neoxephon GBAtemp Fan

United States

2. wolfmanz51

Member wolfmanz51 MrNintendosense

United States
    and what hacking skills/experience do you have? it seems to me that in most translation projects the hackers are the programmers

3. neoxephon
    OP

United States
    When I say programmer, I am talking about someone that can program utilities in C or .NET or a similar language. This isn't really a requirement for hacking a ROM, mostly because the utilities are not always required. A script dumper/inserter is not a requirement, however it does lessen the pain of changing a game script.

donelwero and I are capable enough to hack the rom. We didn't just download a popular game and say lets translate it. We looked through the various files for the games, determined how things were developed and decided that the game would not be categorized as one of those impossibly insane games to hack.

Don't worry, we know what we are getting ourselves into.

4. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Sounds great, I love these projects. Just looking back on the older ones to systems like the SNES and you see how many games people would have missed out on if somebody hadn't bothered to hack them. Someday the DS is going to be defunct, and kids will be picking up these obscure titles for emulation and patching them.

Was this the game that had two versions of FMVs? Does it make any difference in the patch, and if so which will it work for?

I'm still amazed at their reluctance to localize some of these. That Tales of Innocence never arrived either, and it seems like they did pretty good work developing it--for a DS game.

5. dragonsown

Newcomer dragonsown Newbie

United States
  6. lcleong

Member lcleong GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    is this for anime edition or CG edition?

7. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    Bleh, if I could I would translate but like I stated on the DQIX menu translation I'm not sure I can ATM.
    Anyways I'm really happy since I played till like half of ToH(but then decided not to play anymore for some reason :S) and it's a great game!
    AND it makes me even happier(and proud in a certain way [​IMG]) that possibly if I hadn't started my little translations for DQIX this may not be happening!

8. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    It's nice someone is working on it. I was going to do this Noitora but we ran into some problems. I probably won't be able to help though as I have some other things to do but I can point you in the right direction. You can follow Kouli's guide for the Artes, Skills, Unison Attacks, etc. He has everything translated. I use this for reference if I don't know wtf I'm reading.

As for the dialogue, look for someone named GreenFire1. He has almost all the skits completed (I believe he is on #172 right now. I'm not sure.) He has the first part of the skits here. You can see his first part here. You can probably get into contact with him and he can possibly help.

I wish you the best of luck with this. If you need any help, you can try pming me but my Japanese is nothing to brag about. It's enough to get me by to play Japanese but again, I'm not fluent in the language but I'll help as much as I can. But again, I wish you luck.

9. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Figure out the script file format and I'll write an inserter for you.

10. cloud123

Newcomer cloud123 Member

United States
    ty tty ty ty ty ty ty finaly finaly finaly finaly yay yayayayayayay
    ok now calm down

11. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Yeah this is very generous of you, I just hope you know that you don't get discourage by all the insensitive people whining when its going to be done.

12. linkenski

Member linkenski GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    If most of the script gets translated, i'll get the rom again!

13. Big Kong Boss

Member Big Kong Boss GBAtemp Fan

Korea, South
    I pray to God that this does not end up like the KH: 358/2 Days Mini-translation thread.

I too wish you the best of luck with this project. It is very generous that people devote the time to work on this.

14. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Menu looks good. Godspeed, gentlemen.

15. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    cool, i wish u guys good luck and remember to called on the power of mods, if any illiterate buggers starts to pop up and starts to demand a patch [​IMG]

16. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Good start so far. Wish I could help, but I have no useful skills. Instead I'll be cheering from the sidelines and hoping this gets completed. [​IMG]

17. neoxephon
    OP

United States
    Argh, multi-quote doesn't seem to work for me, so here we go...

@dib and Icleong: Currently, we have been working on the anime edition. However, we will eventually test it on the CG edition. I haven't really looked at the CG edition, but as far as I know the only difference between the two are the movies. Another words, I'm pretty sure that when everything is said and done, it should work on both editions.

@golio: Yeah, the game is awesome and the 2D graphics make it all the more better. And yeah, if it wasn't for the DQIX menu translation, donelwero and I probably would have never worked together and then this project wouldn't exist. Him and I work quite well together.

@Rock Raiyu: Thanks for all the links, I'm sure they'll be useful.

@DarthNemesis: We'll do that and take you up on your offer! [​IMG]

@Canonbeat234: If they do, I plan on either ignoring them or using the famous "It'll be done when it's done." line.

@linkenski: By the time we release the patch, it'll be 100% English (besides the voice acting, of course). We plan on doing something similar to how Absolute Zero has done the ToI translation. This means there will be no patch until everything is 100% complete.

@mrfatso: We sure will. [​IMG]

18. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    but still i think u guys should lie and say that this is a hoax and start doing work on the translation in secret , since u guys know just how impatient the guys at gbatemp are, so ... [​IMG]

translation would be something that i am unable to do other than literal translation haha or typing them to just be their romaji version :X or the mother of all bad translation, google power [​IMG]

19. miss_DSlite

Member miss_DSlite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wow wow wow just wow u guys are awesome now i have a reason not tell sell my ds after innocence is out and i finish it [​IMG]

20. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Good luck. I appreciate good people like you all.

And don't let noobs get to you (if there will be any coming), just ignore them, you don't even need to give a damn to read their posts when they don't read yours.

Actually I appreciate translations only released when completely finished, so I can just play through the thing without waiting for further updates.